Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2021, 09:04 PM   #1441
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I stumbled on some rest mode issue with PS5? Has that been fixed yet or should I stop using rest mode.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #1442
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
So I stumbled on some rest mode issue with PS5? Has that been fixed yet or should I stop using rest mode.
No issues for me but I have been clearing my cache regularly.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #1443
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, there is still the rest mode issue with the PS5. In some cases it will brick the system. I just don't use rest mode to avoid any potential issues.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #1444
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it’s been about 10 months with both consoles. Seriously considering cancelling PSN and upgrading from a Series S to a Series X.

Game Pass is just a total game changer. I’m not sure I can justify paying for PSN anymore.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #1445
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
So it’s been about 10 months with both consoles. Seriously considering cancelling PSN and upgrading from a Series S to a Series X.

Game Pass is just a total game changer. I’m not sure I can justify paying for PSN anymore.
I was going to write up a defense about PS+, but just clued in that you're referring to PS Now. Ya I'm not sure how Sony can defend charging what they do for that with Gamepass being so much better
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #1446
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have a XSX and have issues with their controllers disconnecting mid-game?

It's driving me CRAZY and I can't find any solution online that works. Everything is fully updated and I've gone through all of the recommended fixes for it - I think I may need to warranty both of my controllers, or my system, given that it happens with both of my controllers.

It's an inconvenience when playing RPGs, but it's a major issue when it happens mid Hades boss fight....
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #1447
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Does anyone have a XSX and have issues with their controllers disconnecting mid-game?

It's driving me CRAZY and I can't find any solution online that works. Everything is fully updated and I've gone through all of the recommended fixes for it - I think I may need to warranty both of my controllers, or my system, given that it happens with both of my controllers.

It's an inconvenience when playing RPGs, but it's a major issue when it happens mid Hades boss fight....

I have never had this issue regularly, but when it did happen it was due to the batteries/low power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #1448
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I got the PS5 day one and have been using rest mode exclusively, with and without closing games first. I think I've properly shut down/restarted the PS5 less than 10 times.

No issues. I wouldn't worry about it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #1449
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I have never had this issue regularly, but when it did happen it was due to the batteries/low power.
Hmmmm - I do have a battery pack that I'm using - I wonder if that might be causing issues. I'll try it with some AA batteries tonight and see if I'm still getting dropouts.

If that doesn't work, it might be time to try a reformat and see if I can still replicate the issue.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #1450
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Hmmmm - I do have a battery pack that I'm using - I wonder if that might be causing issues. I'll try it with some AA batteries tonight and see if I'm still getting dropouts.

If that doesn't work, it might be time to try a reformat and see if I can still replicate the issue.
I wouldn't reformat, the issue would be related to the Microsoft wireless technology they use. Could be a bad card on the console.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #1451
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I was going to write up a defense about PS+, but just clued in that you're referring to PS Now. Ya I'm not sure how Sony can defend charging what they do for that with Gamepass being so much better
No I meant PlayStation Network. PS+ included. It's not really because I hate PS+, it's just that I find Game Pass Ultimate to be a better option.

I have a Series S and I'll be upgrading to the X soon. I'll likely be cancelling PSN after that. With Bethesda going Microsoft exclusive I think it's worth it. I can pay for a month to play the odd Sony exclusive but I find the quality of them has gone down in recent years.

I'm not much of a loyalist. I greatly preferred the 360 to the PS3, then I greatly preferred the PS4 to the Xbox One. This time I'm finding myself enjoying the Series S more than the PS5.

I don't think the PS5 is bad, but I think it's overrated. Doesn't help that my controller is already broken after less than a year.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #1452
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think PS5 has had my favourite games so far this gen (Ratchet and Clank, Miles Morales, Returnal).

BUT the Series X does get more use just because of the value of GamePass.

For me I have a PS5 for Playstation Exclusives, a Series X as a GamePass machine and a Switch for Nintendo exclusives...and really I find myself playing fewer and fewer 3rd party multi-platform games that aren't on Gamepass unless they go on sale.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #1453
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
No I meant PlayStation Network. PS+ included. It's not really because I hate PS+, it's just that I find Game Pass Ultimate to be a better option.

I have a Series S and I'll be upgrading to the X soon. I'll likely be cancelling PSN after that. With Bethesda going Microsoft exclusive I think it's worth it. I can pay for a month to play the odd Sony exclusive but I find the quality of them has gone down in recent years.

I'm not much of a loyalist. I greatly preferred the 360 to the PS3, then I greatly preferred the PS4 to the Xbox One. This time I'm finding myself enjoying the Series S more than the PS5.

I don't think the PS5 is bad, but I think it's overrated. Doesn't help that my controller is already broken after less than a year.
Either way get a Series X its a well worth the higher cost Vs. the S

What are you paying for PS+? You can get it for under $50 a year which is still well worth it IMO
Old 09-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #1454
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the difference between the X and the S? It's more than just the ability to use physical discs?
Old 09-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #1455
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
What is the difference between the X and the S? It's more than just the ability to use physical discs?
I think you can comfortably view the differences as:

Series X = 4K
Series S = 1080P (/1440P)

So, if you're looking for full resolution on games, you should go Series X. If you're on a 1080P TV or are fine with playing at a lower resolution, then the Series S is a good choice - and yes, also the Series S lacks a disc drive.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #1456
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I think you can comfortably view the differences as:

Series X = 4K
Series S = 1080P (/1440P)

So, if you're looking for full resolution on games, you should go Series X. If you're on a 1080P TV or are fine with playing at a lower resolution, then the Series S is a good choice - and yes, also the Series S lacks a disc drive.
This is pretty misleading as there's a pretty dramatic difference in power between the S and X. A more apt comparison would be

Series S = Xbox One X with some 4K
Series X = PS5

The difference might not be too apparent early in the gen here as games are mostly cross-gen anyways, but as time goes on we'll start to see some serious technical concessions in the Series S versions of games.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #1457
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there the same differences between the PS5 digital edition versus the other version?
Old 09-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #1458
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
This is pretty misleading as there's a pretty dramatic difference in power between the S and X. A more apt comparison would be

Series X = PS5

The difference might not be too apparent early in the gen here as games are mostly cross-gen anyways, but as time goes on we'll start to see some serious technical concessions in the Series S versions of games.
Actually Series S is not quite an Xbox One X with its 1440p max (it'll upscale of course) to the One X's native 4K abilities. The Xbox One X outputs higher texture quality, farther draw distances, at higher resolutions than the Series S. Enabling FPS boost on the Series S will further drop resolution render targets. Load times, however, are solidly in favour of the Series X / S consoles due to the onboard SSDs and Velocity Architecture (GPU can directly access storage to load assets into VRAM). And also keep in mind that some titles will be developed for Series consoles first before coming to Xbox One, and some just won't at all (like Microsoft Flight Simulator).

I apologize in advance that the video has music, however this is a good comparison of resolution, loading times, FPS, texture quality, shadows, and draw distance when running CoD Warzone across Xbox One OG, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox Series X:
Spoiler!
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #1459
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Are there the same differences between the PS5 digital edition versus the other version?
Nope, those two are the same other than the disc drive.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 12:02 AM   #1460
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Series X = PS5

Yeah that 4k vs.1440p thing is more marketing spin than anything else. X is way more powerful over time the difference is only getting bigger. You are already seeing ray tracing being omitted on S for many games in addition to resolution and lower frame rates.

X also has twice the hard drive space too which covers the extra cost alone...I know someone that bought an S and then the $250 SSD upgrade.

Last edited by dino7c; 09-11-2021 at 12:04 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote