Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #61
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you didn't see Close Encounters when it first came out, I'd suggest it doesn't stand the test of time.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #62
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I highly recommend the following:

E.T. -the most obvious one missing from your list, and an absolute must own for anyone's collection. This sequence in particular still gets my heart racing. That John Williams score! So freakin' good.

Also these:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Munich
Empire of the Sun
Amistad
The Color Purple
Catch Me If You Can
Lincoln
Thanks ET the 35th anniversary is coming out at Best Buy on Tuesday will pick it up, haven't seen it in years
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #63
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Thanks Dion! I'm always on the lookout for rare or hidden gems I really appreciate it! Spielberg is a master but to be honest I don't have a lot of his films, I think I just missed the boat growing up to really appreciate his work but now that I'm older I really want to watch more of his stuff! I have Jaws, All Indy movies, Jurassic Park 1 & 2, Saving Private Ryan, War of the Worlds, Schindler's List, Minority Report, and War Horse. Besides Duel anymore of his work you would suggest?
It's not a Spielberg movie but this is another favourite one of mine. It's about NASA trying to fake a Mars landing and what can go wrong.

Capricorn One

Full movie

If you like car movies I would suggest this one. Story of two men drag racing across the USA in a primer grey 55 Chevy. Dennis Wilson is the mechanic, James Taylor is the driver

2 Lane Blacktop

Two-Lane Blacktop - The Stakes (storyline)

Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #64
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how you brought up Two-Lane Blacktop I was going to buy the steelbook from Zavi but then it was region locked. Still might pick up because it looks great:

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/two-la.../10565567.html
Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #65
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

My brother asked me if I still had the late 90s CGI show Beast Wars on DVD, which got me going through my movies yesterday, and I realized I have a lot of great shows/films that I don't think you can stream (not through any service I subscribe to, at least.)

Many are TV shows such as Battlestar Galactica, MASH, Doctor Who, and Twin Peaks, and more are retro animated shows such as Transformers, Thundercats, Batman: TAS (the whole DCAU, actually), and Animaniacs, and The Simpsons.

I've always been a bit of an animation/Disney dweeb, and I have every animated movie Disney has put out. Netflix and Disney's partnership is iffy, but they currently don't have a lot of older animated films, and I haven't even checked if they have TV shows such as Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, etc., etc. (but that's okay, because I have all those too.)

And of course there's all 37 different versions of Star Wars and it's spin offs (such as Tartakovsky's Clone Wars) and the Trek movies, which seem to appear and disappear quite a bit on Netflix.

Taking stock was more or less cursorily, but of note my collection also houses a bunch of films--both classic and modern--that can't be found online, like ET, Seven Samurai, the Alien franchise, Jurassic Park, The Godfather(s), and a lot of David Lynch, Don Bluth, Kubrick, and Kurosawa stuff.

Now maybe I should rewatch some of this #### once in a while.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 09-11-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #66
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Taking stock was more or less cursorily, but of note my collection also houses a bunch of films--both classic and modern--that can't be found online, like ET, Seven Samurai, the Alien franchise, Jurassic Park, The Godfather(s), and a lot of David Lynch, Don Bluth, Kubrick, and Kurosawa stuff.
Much of Don Bluth's stuff is on Netflix now. I actually just watched Titan AE last week.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #67
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My pick ups of the week. Best Buy actually putting some effort into their horror movies this year glad to see! Thanks everyone for suggesting ET just picked it up yesterday will watch it soon.
Spoiler!
Old 09-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #68
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Continuing our Halloween discussion from earlier in this thread, it looks like Jamie Lee Curits is coming back for the upcoming reboot. Kinda weird, considering they pretty much wrapped up her story arc in H20 and then killed her off in Resurrection. But sure, what the hell. I'm in.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ja...18-1202560418/

Quote:
Jamie Lee Curtis is returning to play the iconic Laurie Strode in the “Halloween” franchise.

Universal Pictures also set Oct. 19, 2018, as the release date for what it’s calling the final film in the “Halloween” series. The horror movie is being produced by Trancas International Films, Blumhouse Productions, and Miramax.

Curtis’ character will have a final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

John Carpenter will executive produce and serve as creative consultant on this film, joining leading horror producer Jason Blum, who’s behind “Get Out,” “Split,” and “The Purge” and “Paranormal Activity” franchises.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #69
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I collect horror movies, I have 712 altogether on either VHS or DVD. As for the new Halloween if I remember correctly he already killed Laurie Strode did he not?
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #70
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I'm pretty sure she is already dead but as direwolf said I'm in regardless! My favorite slasher franchise is Friday the 13th, they keep teasing a new release only to delay it or cancel it. They were supposed to put out a new one but with Rings tanking at the box office they canceled it, rumor was it was going to be found footage so maybe its a good thing its canceled. I don't know how well slasher films would do at the box office anymore, but there is still a die hard contingent of fans. They were pretty much dead in the 90s until Scream came out and saved them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #71
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came across this ad in Ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/17-129-Movies...-/263141696665 now that is a collection...and from Winnipeg no less huh go figure. I doubt it's the world's largest collection but still very impressive.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #72
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I'm pretty sure she is already dead but as direwolf said I'm in regardless! My favorite slasher franchise is Friday the 13th, they keep teasing a new release only to delay it or cancel it. They were supposed to put out a new one but with Rings tanking at the box office they canceled it, rumor was it was going to be found footage so maybe its a good thing its canceled. I don't know how well slasher films would do at the box office anymore, but there is still a die hard contingent of fans. They were pretty much dead in the 90s until Scream came out and saved them.
It's a matter of time until a writer puts another fresh spin on the slasher genre and revitalizes it for a little while. But I doubt horror will ever get to be as big as it was in the 80s.

IT making huge box office is massive for the horror genre. Can't be overstated how much it's success will help more projects move forward.

Anything nostalgic and coming of age will be hot for the next while too.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #73
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Came across this ad in Ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/17-129-Movies...-/263141696665 now that is a collection...and from Winnipeg no less huh go figure. I doubt it's the world's largest collection but still very impressive.
Holy mother of god! That's absolutely insane. That dude should just open up his own video store.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #74
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I know it's nostalgia but I agree with the OP about Blockbuster and in Ontario Jumbo Video. There was something fun about going to the video store and picking out a couple movies with your friends. I remember when I was younger we would try and find one that had nudity hoping whichever parent that was with us wouldn't notice.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 AM   #75
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it just me or does $1M seem ridiculously over priced? That's like $58 per movie! I know shipping is included and it takes time to put together a collection but there would need to be some very rare VHSs and Laser Discs in there to make it worth while.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #76
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hah, no kidding a million dollars is overpriced. Physical movies are pretty much valueless after you walk out the store. They're hard to give away - this guy is nuts thinking that collection is worth anything. I'm sure the bulk of it has negative value, in fact. At some point those movies are going to end up in a roll-off bin being hauled to the dump. It's inevitable.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #77
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

No kidding. I love that he tries to cite "All 3 Slipcovers for Horrible Bosses Blu-ray." as an example of the collectability in his collection. He has 4 copies of Anchorman 2 listed. 8 versions of first Hobbit movie.

Very little physical media created within the last 30 years has any collectable value unless it has manufactured scarcity. Like those sports cards with the pieces of game worn jersey in them or very, very limited run statues or prints.

Anything you've purchased at Walmart is almost immediately worth less the moment you leave the store. Exceptions like those NES Minis can be made but they're few and far between.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #78
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally agree, the only things that I think will have any value will be Steelbooks as they are rare and hard to come by. But as more and more people leave physical media I don't expect them to have much value. Certainly the Marvel films on Steelbook (especially phase 1) have tremendous value as no one expected that to blow up like it did. I haven't been able to find a Futureshop Iron Man Steelbook for under $100. I just buy what I like, I doubt I ever will sell my collection. Because I'm a completest I find myself buying movies that I don't like just to have the set. I needed Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Next Generation to complete all the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies didn't feel complete until I got it.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #79
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I know it's nostalgia but I agree with the OP about Blockbuster and in Ontario Jumbo Video. There was something fun about going to the video store and picking out a couple movies with your friends. I remember when I was younger we would try and find one that had nudity hoping whichever parent that was with us wouldn't notice.
I've replaced BB with the local pawn shop. Go in on the way home from work and buy a couple $3 blurays, maybe a $2 DVD. It's cheaper than BB and if it's a winner you can watch it again.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #80
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I've replaced BB with the local pawn shop. Go in on the way home from work and buy a couple $3 blurays, maybe a $2 DVD. It's cheaper than BB and if it's a winner you can watch it again.
Here in North Vancouver I go to Salvation Army a lot for used DVDs and blurays. It's amazing what you can find now that people are getting rid of their physical collections. Picked up the limited edition Big Lebowski bluray the other day for $3.

The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: