Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #6141
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Got an email that TPC Fox Hollow is opening on Thursday on regulation greens and tee boxes.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:26 PM   #6142
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there some sort of joke about Fox Hollow and some of you calling it TPC Fox Hollow?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:05 PM   #6143
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Is there some sort of joke about Fox Hollow and some of you calling it TPC Fox Hollow?
I believe it's all tongue and cheek for it being not the best of courses. It's been a while since I lived in town, but it's been known for opening first and closing last without much regards for protecting it and a lot of the holes run along the freeway, but it's somewhat playable. The worst part of playing there IMO is your constantly playing dodgeball from balls that can be coming at you from any direction.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:08 PM   #6144
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those were my memories of Fox Hollow as well. We always referred to it as “hard hat golf” and on of the more dangerous courses around. Good to see it’s just a joke.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:00 PM   #6145
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I believe it's all tongue and cheek for it being not the best of courses. It's been a while since I lived in town, but it's been known for opening first and closing last without much regards for protecting it and a lot of the holes run along the freeway, but it's somewhat playable. The worst part of playing there IMO is your constantly playing dodgeball from balls that can be coming at you from any direction.
It's funny, I've never found Fox Hollow to be as bad as Sarcee was. That place was downright dangerous on some holes.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:04 PM   #6146
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
It's always been a joke when I use TPC...but for the last few years I did wonder if Fox Hollow rebranded.

...and yeah my dad and I always called it hard hat golf as well, one of the few courses I could name where you're likely to get hit in the chest on multiple holes. Golf is golf though so I'd still play it with a mile on my face...and helmet
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2023, 09:15 PM   #6147
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
It's always been a joke when I use TPC...but for the last few years I did wonder if Fox Hollow rebranded.

...and yeah my dad and I always called it hard hat golf as well, one of the few courses I could name where you're likely to get hit in the chest on multiple holes. Golf is golf though so I'd still play it with a mile on my face...and helmet
Yeah, that's how I am. I've played with many snobs that whine and complain all round if they're at a non premium course. For me I drink beer, share some laughs and hit the ball.

Even as I've hit low 80's regularly the past year or so I haven't lost that and won't. The only thing I won't do is temporary greens. Waste of time.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:16 PM   #6148
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

And to be honest if anything gets to me it's a bad experience/conditions at a nice course rather than standard conditions at a cheap course.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #6149
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the Wingfield thing. It wasn't really golf (the course is still extremely waterlogged) but nice to get outside and swing a club at least.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:13 AM   #6150
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got 3 rounds lined up this week in Utah. Going to be nice to swing some clubs.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:52 PM   #6151
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Helped to remove the tarps on the greens of my golf course in Nanton. Very little snow left and we could be golfing next week
Old 04-10-2023, 08:14 PM   #6152
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is up with the prices this year? I've looked at a couple of places Green Fees and am I just out of touch or are these places out of their minds?

Bearspaw on Monday-Thursday is $150 with a cart. Who is paying that? River Spirit is $86 and Inglewood is $89. These prices are outrageous. Are there actually that many people golfing mediocre golf courses on weekdays that these places can charge this much?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:19 PM   #6153
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
What is up with the prices this year? I've looked at a couple of places Green Fees and am I just out of touch or are these places out of their minds?

Bearspaw on Monday-Thursday is $150 with a cart. Who is paying that? River Spirit is $86 and Inglewood is $89. These prices are outrageous. Are there actually that many people golfing mediocre golf courses on weekdays that these places can charge this much?
The courses are all busy, and golf clubs can’t figure out how to sustain this boom. I feel like golf is already expensive here, and increasing prices a lot now only makes it so less people can play.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:22 PM   #6154
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s a limit to how much I’m willing to pay, I guess. I love golf but at a certain point I’m just going to take my clubs to the range instead, or save up to play an actual nice golf course. I’m not spending $150 at Bearspaw twice a week when I can go once every three weeks and play Banff Springs or Jasper. I don’t understand who is golfing at 9:30 am on a Monday and paying over $100.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 09:02 PM   #6155
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There’s a limit to how much I’m willing to pay, I guess. I love golf but at a certain point I’m just going to take my clubs to the range instead, or save up to play an actual nice golf course. I’m not spending $150 at Bearspaw twice a week when I can go once every three weeks and play Banff Springs or Jasper. I don’t understand who is golfing at 9:30 am on a Monday and paying over $100.
A course like bearspaw can crank the rates and make money on green fee payers while not totally bogging down the course for members.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 09:38 PM   #6156
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well this hasn’t been accurate in years.
It's come early this year!

April 13th TPC Fox Hollow opens. Bring chapstick.

Bearspaw 28th of April.

Ok...next up who's going to be blown away that it rains a lot in June and we're going to miss tee times?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:19 PM   #6157
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is why I am feeling like vipGolf was a good move...

Bearspaw mon-thu with cart and range - $92
River spirit mon-thu with cart and range - $65
Inglewood mon-sun with cart and range - $50
Lynx ridge mon-thu with cart and range - $59

Just makes it all more reasonable. Though obviously you have to play enough to pay off the initial investment.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-10-2023, 10:36 PM   #6158
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1645576779086848000
Old 04-10-2023, 11:11 PM   #6159
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Bought a couple of used Cleveland CBX wedges, 50 and 56 degree for a $100. Also installed some some golf pride grips on them. Ready for the golf season.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:57 PM   #6160
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the 52 of that wedge, it's very reliable.

So it looks like Fox Hollow thursday, Shag and McCall friday... most others seem to be aiming for the 21st?

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow