Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #6061
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well for one thing, that doesn't actually involve a green and doesn't tell you how much the shot you hit will check up or release, or how it will roll out due to the idiosyncracies of a particular green. For another, in a lot of cases you're chipping to a landing spot 10 feet away, not 10 yards. A driving range doesn't really seem fit for purpose.

I dunno, maybe I'm nuts and I'm the only one who thinks this would be a useful thing to have available. But then I don't understand why that would be when people practice chipping on practice greens before their rounds all the time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #6062
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Booked a few rounds in Utah for April. Hoping I can hit the course here prior to there for a warm up..
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:05 AM   #6063
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well for one thing, that doesn't actually involve a green and doesn't tell you how much the shot you hit will check up or release, or how it will roll out due to the idiosyncracies of a particular green. For another, in a lot of cases you're chipping to a landing spot 10 feet away, not 10 yards. A driving range doesn't really seem fit for purpose.

I dunno, maybe I'm nuts and I'm the only one who thinks this would be a useful thing to have available. But then I don't understand why that would be when people practice chipping on practice greens before their rounds all the time.
I don't think a turf green is going check or release similarly to a grass green. Not saying you are wrong to want to try, but it's probably the reason not too many try to build such things.

I've been to ranges with little basket/net things that are placed pretty close to the matts to chip into. They were somewhat useful and fun.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #6064
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i agree with what nfotiu is saying. further more, different real grass greens are going to release differently based on firmness, grass type, length, shape/contour of green etc

seems to me you will need to wait until the snow melts and courses open if you really want to practice this in the way you are envisioning
Old 02-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #6065
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's not like mats are particularly realistic things to hit a full swing with irons off of, either. The main reason is that most people don't practice their short game, or seem to want to either. So there's not as much business for it and it requires some real estate. But they are getting built, but are typically marketed towards the serious players (like college bound athletes in snowy states).

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited by Roughneck; 02-22-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #6066
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like Winston trial membership available for $4,888. Might be a good option for some of you that were going to test the waters without committing.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:13 PM   #6067
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who's signed up for VIPGolf and wants to refer me for the $25, let me know.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-25-2023, 10:37 AM   #6068
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Anyone who's signed up for VIPGolf and wants to refer me for the $25, let me know.
PM sent
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 10:13 PM   #6069
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone played Pebble Beach?

We are going to be in that area in April and I'm debating booking a couple nights at the resort hotel and getting a tee time.
I'd be golfing as a single but seems like a bucket list course opportunity.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:14 AM   #6070
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes sir. Pebble was quite the experience. Played it on the back-end of two weeks in Hawaii on the Big Island playing the courses there. We played all three courses (Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass Hill in that order). I was a little disappointed in Pebble and it didn't live up to the hype, even though it was right before the 1st Tee event. It was really cool playing the same course as the pros but some of the shots were inaccessible because of the event upcoming. But it was incredible to stand over the some of the most famous shots in golf and look them over. Definitely worth the trip and expense if you're a golf junkie, but you might enjoy the other courses more. Spyglass was our favorite, and not just because we ran in to "Gentle" Ben Crenshaw between nines, but because it is just an awesome golf course that really tests your shot making skill and doesn't have crazy greens that require local knowledge. If you're going to play Pebble Beach, pay for the caddy and have them read your putts. You'll have much more fun that way.

If you're looking for a cheaper and possibly better golf course/experience, go up the coast to Santa Cruz and play Pasatiempo. It is an Alistar MacKenzie design and this is where he lived out his final days, his house being on the 7th hole IIRC. MacKenzie calls this his greatest design, ahead of Augusta National and Cypress Point (very private club next to Spanish Bay at Pebble Beach). This was the last course we played on a trip that included Mauna Kea, Hapuna, Mauna Lani, Waikoloa, Makalei, Hualalai, Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, and Spyglass Hill, and none of them matched Pasatiempo. We rolled off 18 and we wanted to play it again immediately, but an event made that not possible. I would highly recommend this if you're looking for an alternative with similar history and prestige and don't want to spend ungodly amounts of money at Pebble.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 07:34 AM   #6071
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Yes sir. Pebble was quite the experience. Played it on the back-end of two weeks in Hawaii on the Big Island playing the courses there. We played all three courses (Pebble Beach, Spanish Bay, Spyglass Hill in that order).
Lanny with that type of life, you sir, will be in my thoughts and prayers for the next little while

hoepfully you can perservere through this difficult stretch in your life
Old 02-27-2023, 09:54 AM   #6072
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks Northendzone. Anniversary and bucket list trip rolled into one, so it was a one of thing. I married a wonderful woman who understands and encourages my addiction. We just booked a trip to Alabama for 16 days so she can do some research for a book on civil rights, but she made sure I get to golf 15 times during that stretch and much of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. Looking forward to it.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #6073
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ to me a spouse should be supportive of their other half's interests. My current wife is not much of a cyclist; i however, am an addict and she gives me some runway on that

on the other hand my practice wife figured that if all our interests were not shared, then i should not be involved......yeah, that is right, i am talking about practice.....

Seems like a perfect arrangement with her doing reasearch and you chasing golf balls - carry on sir
Old 02-27-2023, 11:55 AM   #6074
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m going to be in Phoenix for July long weekend (I know). Lanny, this is your area of expertise, right? Any suggestions? Two of us are around a 10-12 handicap and the others are unknown.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #6075
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Wekopa is the correct answer here.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:51 PM   #6076
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I’m going to be in Phoenix for July long weekend (I know). Lanny, this is your area of expertise, right? Any suggestions? Two of us are around a 10-12 handicap and the others are unknown.
Where are you staying (part of town)? How far do you want to drive? How much you want to spend and how nice a course you want to play (as much as the traffic will bear)? The July long weekend is going to have plenty of good deals, but be prepared to get out early. The later you play the easier it is to get a tee time and better deals will be available, but you have to deal with the heat. I can give you a number of recommendations depending on where you're staying.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:55 PM   #6077
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve got a golf trip to phoenix in august (don’t ask ) I’m hoping for mid 30’s temps…
Old 02-27-2023, 01:59 PM   #6078
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck with that.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #6079
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’ve got a golf trip to phoenix in august (don’t ask ) I’m hoping for mid 30’s temps…
At what time of the day? You'll be 30 degrees by 7:30am and looking for 40+ by 11:00am. You might escape the heat a bit by going to Tucson or Sedona, but you end up dealing with higher UV index and roast that way. August is awesome if you can get on the course by 7:00 and off by 10:30. After that, carry a lot of water and wear a wide brimmed hat.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:28 PM   #6080
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a trip I’m attending planned by others. 28 people or so.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow