Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #12301
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
One of the last things I hope happens is the Flames trade one of their top 4 D and a top prospect and only get second line type players in return.

I would hate this trade if it happened. Bennett, Fox, and Brodie and we receive a couple 40pt players and a late 1st.
Haha what?? Sorry, I don't follow....

Zibanejad is just turned 25, and had 27 goals. He's also had 3 20+ goal seasons and one with 16 in 69 games and one with 14 in 56 games. He is also under contract for 4 more seasons.

Hayes just turned 26 and had 25 goals last year and has had 17 or more goals in 3 out 4 total NHL seasons. He is also an RFA and rumored to want a 5 year deal under $5 million.

They are also both centers, or can play center.

Bennett and Brodie had 15 goals combined, and Fox obviously had zero. If anything it's kind of a steal for the Flames.

This is exactly the type of trade the Flames need to make. They had trouble scoring goals, and have an over abundance of D. It's not like trading for a couple 30 year olds who have 1 or 2 years left on their deal. It's about supplementing a really good young core with other good young top 6 forwards who will be here for the duration of what we hope will be a contention window.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #12302
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's weird. I kind of feel the vibe that no one wants to trade good players for good packages. Only want to trade strugglers for the help the team needs. It's not going to work that way.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #12303
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Zibanejad is just turned 25, and had 27 goals. He's also had 3 20+ goal seasons and one with 16 in 69 games and one with 14 in 56 games. He is also under contract for 4 more seasons.

Hayes just turned 26 and had 25 goals last year and has had 17 or more goals in 3 out 4 total NHL seasons. He is also an RFA and rumored to want a 5 year deal under $5 million.

Bennett and Brodie had 15 goals combined, and Fox obviously had zero. If anything it's kind of a steal for the Flames.

This is exactly the type of trade the Flames need to make. They had trouble scoring goals, and have an over abundance of D. It's not like trading for a couple 30 year olds who have 1 or 2 years left on their deal. It's about supplementing a really good young core with other good young top 6 forwards who will be here for the duration of what we hope will be a contention window.

Is that from Larry Brooks column today?

Quote:
Hayes, one of a select few Blueshirts who matched or exceeded expectations last year, is arbitration-eligible and one year away from unrestricted free agency. It may take five years at around $4.5 million per to get him under contract.
https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-o...rs-would-work/

If so it can pretty much be completely discounted. The guy is Dowbiggen but in NY.

I dont know what the numbers will be but i have a feeling it will be quite different from that...as per usual for him.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #12304
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

If so it can pretty much be completely discounted. The guy is Dowbiggen but in NY.

I dont know what the numbers will be but i have a feeling it will be quite different from that...as per usual for him.
Yeah that's where I got it from, but it also seems pretty in line with Hayes' production. He's averaged about 44 points in 4 NHL seasons.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #12305
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently it's floating around "out there" that maybe the Preds will look to move PK.

Sounds like just speculation by the talking heads, but ya never know.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #12306
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently it's floating around "out there" that maybe the Preds will look to move PK.

Speculation by Montreal media trying to take attention off their horrible team and GM
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #12307
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

Which talking heads?
Old 05-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #12308
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Speculation by Montreal media trying to take attention off their horrible team and GM
I guess they were talking about it on the fan960 too, with Friedman. There are some quotes on that other board, Friedman talking about how PK gets on peoples nerves in the room. He's a lot to handle apparently.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #12309
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Which talking heads?
Linky

Also:

Quote:
Sports talk radio is often fueled by speculation in general, and when trade conjecture enters the mix the interest level tends to rise.
Elliotte Friedman had a Friday morning radio hit on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 and had a few particularly interesting topics thrown his way.
At one point during the conversation, co-host Rhett Warrener wondered if it would be crazy for the Nashville Predators, who were eliminated from the playoffs Thursday night by the Winnipeg Jets in Game 7 of their second-round series, to contemplate trading P.K. Subban.
“I think he wears out his welcome with guys,” opined Warrener. “I think he gets (under) people’s skin in the room. I think his value is huge around the league because he is that talented. Any chance they would consider making that sort of move.”
“Well, I would say there’s always a chance because one thing I really over the last couple of years is that how many really untouchable players are there in this league,” began Friedman. “There’s Crosby. There’s McDavid. Who else is there? Auston Matthews would be. I think right now Ovechkin would be. I mean maybe 10. Could you name 10? … So I think these guys discuss people all the time.

“First of all, one of their strengths is their blueline, so would you be weakening that significantly. Second, I don’t think he’s going to win the Norris trophy this year, but he’s a finalist.
“I do believe that two years ago when Colorado was trying to trade Matt Duchene to Nashville and Nashville was trying to get him, I do believe Subban was part of that deal for awhile. I think Colorado asked for all of those D, but I think Subban was a name that they considered. But that was two years ago.
“I don’t know. I think that the one thing I would just say is I think there’s 10 untouchable players in the league, if that. I’m sure that someone is going to bring up their name to him, but I would say this: If any of those guys are getting dealt, there’s going to be a good reason for it. Like you’re going to look at that deal and you’re going to say, ‘Okay, I get it.’ “

Probably nothing.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #12310
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I guess they were talking about it on the fan960 too, with Friedman. There are some quotes on that other board, Friedman talking about how PK gets on peoples nerves in the room. He's a lot to handle apparently.
It was Warrener who said that.

All Friedman said was that a trade was discussed two years ago that may have involved Subban, and that nobody is untouchable.

Nothing to suggest they’re actively looking to move him in any way.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 PM   #12311
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It was Warrener who said that.
Believe it or not Warrener is still very connected and connected in a way that Friedman wishes he could be. he usually is very careful in the way he says negative things about players but if he commented that about Subban you can bet there's something to it.

Where there's smoke there's fire.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #12312
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon59

Quote:

To reiterate I think it would be a terrible move to send out the remaining of our movable assets for 2 guys that have stats lines that resemble Frolik or Brouwer’s prior to when they came to the Flames (albeit slightly better)

You are selling Brodie and Bennett at their absolute lowest after they were ruined under Gulutzan and you send out one of the top 4 D prospects leaving the Flames with hardly any movable assets and we add a couple of second line players.

I think the flames need to be chasing a legit top line player that can either make thenfirst line one of the best in the league or solidify a second line with Tkachuk.

I just think having a bunch of $5M forwards littered throughout the second and third line is a terrible play and that is what this trade does.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #12313
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a hard time believing that Poile would trade Subban for Duchene or that if that deal was on the table that Colorado wouldn't take it immediately
Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #12314
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I just think having a bunch of $5M forwards littered throughout the second and third line is a terrible play and that is what this trade does.
Just took a peak at the four teams remaining in the playoffs, and while I disagree with you on the 2nd line (your 2nd line should be stacked with "$5M forwards" or players on their ELCs), the third line is where things really do need to thin out. A third line of Bennett - Jankowski - ??? could end up being a great strength for us, but that RW spot...those "???" cannot under any circumstance be Troy Brouwer.

Look at these final four teams...if Troy Brouwer is on this roster next season, what an incredible failure that is. He's not an NHL quality player, and he makes $4.5M. What a disadvantage for the team depth-wise. If you look at the final four teams and what they pay their players, Troy Brouwer would be the absolute worst contract/worst player on any of the 4 teams (not counting the cap-dumps Vegas has sitting on LTIR). You just can't afford to overpay a player that shouldn't even be in the league anymore and expect to win.

Buyout wise, you can afford to pay Brouwer the $1.5M it would take to get him off the roster.

Tampa pays Carle $1.833 this season, and for 3 more seasons.
Vegas is retaining $2M on Brassard this season, and $1.12M on Emelin this season.
Washington has no dead cap-space.
Winnipeg is paying Stuart $1.46M and $0.58M next season.

Dead cap space, as long as it's not crazy, can be stomached. Using a player that effectively kills a roster spot and hurts the players he lines up with cannot be done while also expecting to have success.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-14-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #12315
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Hayes has averaged 43.5 points since he came into the league 4 years ago. 10 points in 34 playoff games

Backlund has avceraged 43 points over the last 4 years. 5 points in 15 playoff games.

Hayes' new contract starts with a 5 and it's probably for 7 years. Backlund's extension set the market.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #12316
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean if you only look at points and literally nothing else, yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #12317
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Hayes has averaged 43.5 points since he came into the league 4 years ago. 10 points in 34 playoff games

Backlund has avceraged 43 points over the last 4 years. 5 points in 15 playoff games.

Hayes' new contract starts with a 5 and it's probably for 7 years. Backlund's extension set the market.
RFA vs UFA though.

He may very well get 5+, but i kind of was more taking a shot at Brooks cause he is usually wrong.

Same guy that claimed Gary Bettman would be fired....14 years ago. Also a guy that suggested the Rangers offer sheet Iginla...at 17 million a year.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #12318
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I mean if you only look at points and literally nothing else, yes.
Could look at goals.

Backlund 16.75 goals per season average over the last 4

Hayes 18.25

Zone Starts?

Last year Hayes 42.72%, Backlund 46.2%. Year before, Hayes 41%, Backlund 35.5%

Points Per 60?

Hayes 2.0, Backlund 1.7, the year before Hayes 2.3, Backlund 2.2, the year before Hayes 2.0, Backlund 2.1

Draft Pick Pedigree?

Hayes 24th overall, Backlund 24th overall.

Is there something I'm missing that would conclude someone to think these two players aren't in a very similar salary ballpark?

If Backlund gets 5.3 with term at 29, why wouldn't Hayes get at least 5 with term?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #12319
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Could look at goals.

Backlund 16.75 goals per season average over the last 4

Hayes 18.25

Zone Starts?

Last year Hayes 42.72%, Backlund 46.2%. Year before, Hayes 41%, Backlund 35.5%

Points Per 60?

Hayes 2.0, Backlund 1.7, the year before Hayes 2.3, Backlund 2.2, the year before Hayes 2.0, Backlund 2.1

Draft Pick Pedigree?

Hayes 24th overall, Backlund 24th overall.

Is there something I'm missing that would conclude someone to think these two players aren't in a very similar salary ballpark?

If Backlund gets 5.3 with term at 29, why wouldn't Hayes get at least 5 with term?
You like these stats but don't notice a huge difference in CF%?

They aren't close. Backlund is elite defensively. Hayes is not.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #12320
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
RFA vs UFA though.

He may very well get 5+, but i kind of was more taking a shot at Brooks cause he is usually wrong.

Same guy that claimed Gary Bettman would be fired....14 years ago. Also a guy that suggested the Rangers offer sheet Iginla...at 17 million a year.
Agreeing with you, I think Brooks is out to lunch.

RFA/UFA....I'm not sure that matters a great deal. Hayes has Arbitration rights, one year from UFA status, just scored 25 goals...
Closed Thread