Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #21
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upper range for my height is around 190, which makes sense.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:10 AM   #22
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
140-189 lbs is the BMI recommended weight range for my height, which is absolute nonsense. It's almost like human health can't be curve fit into a quadratic equation.
I don't think anyone ever has used BMI as an absolute though. People with higher muscle ratios can certainly be healthy with a BMI over 25.0, that's always been a caveat. The opposite holds true with skinny-fat people who are 24.9 but no muscle and all fat, likely being unhealther than just the standard person at 26. It's a ballpark range for the average person. If you really want to get into the thick of things, you need to know body fat, skeletal structure density etc.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #23
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Same.

I was actually wondering if anyone has tried one of those small office-treadmills.
I discovered the Smithsonian channel was on for free last night and watched it for a few hours and they had this on a bunch of times.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #24
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why can't you take a break every hour and do 15 bodysquats and 15 push-ups beside your desk?
Old 02-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #25
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I started with F45 in August and it's been amazing for me. I worked out at home before and did my own thing. I was incredibly skeptical and thought I'd likely hate it and quit a month in. Instead, some huge changes took place for me!

- I thought that I would absolutely hate the structured nature. They have "classes" and you show up, the have it all set for you and you run through a circuit in 45 minutes. I didn't like that aspect...but frankly it's fantastic. Some days are more cardio and some days are strength, and the workouts are excellent.

- Part of what I didn't want to do was interact with other people. I just want to get my workout done and move along with my day...or so I thought. One of my absolute favourite things is the community. Maybe it's that we're all suffering together? Maybe it's the endorphins, but I really love this aspect and for it made something I was dreading to be a pure positive!

- I NEVER worked out as hard as this on my own. I would workout and take too long to rest, or do 3/4 of my workout and decide "that's pretty solid. Most people are doing nothing, so good job just doing this much today Slava!" When I went to the first workout I thought I might die. I realised that I'd need to workout in order to do the full workout! (It's a go at your own pace sort of thing, so you can still take extra breaks or catch your breath)

Anyway, for me it's been an enormous impact. I'm totally not connected in anyway, and don't get any benefit telling people about it aside from the fact that I think people would benefit from it. In the past 6 months or so I've dropped about 25-30 lbs of fat and added a few pounds of muscle. My cardio is miles better than where it was before and most importantly, I feel great. I've seen the same changes for other people there as well, and I really just can't recommend them enough!
Yes, very well said. I joined a gym called Madlab here in Vancouver and it is a very similar format - albeit with a lot of personal training sessions up front to prepare you for the classes - which as you said are very intense.

- It's a great way to make friends as an adult. My partner and a lot of our friends go to the gym, and we often all hang out after a weekend class.

- the gym has an app where you can upload PBs and see class programming for the week.

- you don't have to think about working out, you just show up and everything is set up for you.

- no judgement. the coaches have a pretty strict no ego policy. People are all encouraged to move at their own pace and build up to a level of fitness they are happy with.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #26
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I discovered the Smithsonian channel was on for free last night and watched it for a few hours and they had this on a bunch of times.

Mind blown! Amazon has a ton of these from $130 to $500. Definitely getting one. Just have to figure out what the best value is. I can eat twice as much if I get one of these. That's how it works, right?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #27
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Mind blown! Amazon has a ton of these from $130 to $500. Definitely getting one. Just have to figure out what the best value is. I can eat twice as much if I get one of these. That's how it works, right?
You have to keep yourself in good promenade shape!
Old 02-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #28
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You have to keep yourself in good promenade shape!
I work out twice a day already. I just love food.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #29
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
you can eat while doing it.
you could even take it to the can for a sit down, and burn calories while you're losing weight.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #30
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why can't you take a break every hour and do 15 bodysquats and 15 push-ups beside your desk?
nothing really other than not really dressed for it.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I started with F45 in August and it's been amazing for me. I worked out at home before and did my own thing. I was incredibly skeptical and thought I'd likely hate it and quit a month in. Instead, some huge changes took place for me!

- I thought that I would absolutely hate the structured nature. They have "classes" and you show up, the have it all set for you and you run through a circuit in 45 minutes. I didn't like that aspect...but frankly it's fantastic. Some days are more cardio and some days are strength, and the workouts are excellent.

- Part of what I didn't want to do was interact with other people. I just want to get my workout done and move along with my day...or so I thought. One of my absolute favourite things is the community. Maybe it's that we're all suffering together? Maybe it's the endorphins, but I really love this aspect and for it made something I was dreading to be a pure positive!

- I NEVER worked out as hard as this on my own. I would workout and take too long to rest, or do 3/4 of my workout and decide "that's pretty solid. Most people are doing nothing, so good job just doing this much today Slava!" When I went to the first workout I thought I might die. I realised that I'd need to workout in order to do the full workout! (It's a go at your own pace sort of thing, so you can still take extra breaks or catch your breath)

Anyway, for me it's been an enormous impact. I'm totally not connected in anyway, and don't get any benefit telling people about it aside from the fact that I think people would benefit from it. In the past 6 months or so I've dropped about 25-30 lbs of fat and added a few pounds of muscle. My cardio is miles better than where it was before and most importantly, I feel great. I've seen the same changes for other people there as well, and I really just can't recommend them enough!
Quote:
Yes, very well said. I joined a gym called Madlab here in Vancouver and it is a very similar format - albeit with a lot of personal training sessions up front to prepare you for the classes - which as you said are very intense.

- It's a great way to make friends as an adult. My partner and a lot of our friends go to the gym, and we often all hang out after a weekend class.

- the gym has an app where you can upload PBs and see class programming for the week.

- you don't have to think about working out, you just show up and everything is set up for you.

- no judgement. the coaches have a pretty strict no ego policy. People are all encouraged to move at their own pace and build up to a level of fitness they are happy with.
I'm glad this works for you guys, but it would drive me nuts. I'd rather be alone with my thoughts while I exercise.

People eh, go figure.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #32
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finding a good health related podcast can be huge. If you can find something with a host you trust and find entertaining, it can go a long ways to building your knowledge base and provide motivation. I've noticed I get a lot less amped about exercise, diet and self care since I stopped regularly listening to Joe Rogan's podcast.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #33
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'm glad this works for you guys, but it would drive me nuts. I'd rather be alone with my thoughts while I exercise.

People eh, go figure.
I mean I'd rather you be alone with your thoughts too.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #34
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think BMI doesn’t work at taller heights. The squared height doesn’t seem to add enough wait. 136 at 6’ would have to be unhealthy.
Doesn't work for short guys who have quads and shoulders, either.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Because I sweat.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Doesn't work for short guys who have quads and shoulders, either.
Doesn't work for average guys who like beer, either.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #37
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Same.

I was actually wondering if anyone has tried one of those small office-treadmills.

I'm assuming it would be fine for watching, maybe a bit annoying for reading, but actually typing and stuff could be problematic unless you're walking at a snails pace?
From what I understand the pace of that thing is so slow it shouldn't affect anything. Pace wise, I believe it's something like that of a really slow queue. Every 5-20 seconds or so, you realize you're getting a bit further behind where you should be, so you shuffle a step or two.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #38
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would point and laugh at any fool who brought one of those office treadmills to work.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #39
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would point and laugh at any fool who brought one of those office treadmills to work.
Except no one usually brings one of those treadmills to work. They demand their employer purchase it for them to use. Do you laugh at the fool using it, or the employer who got stuck paying for it?

The standing desk thing is also weird to me IMO. I get the concept, but it still looks weird to me.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #40
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I lost 20 lbs a couple of years ago while adding quite a bit of muscle, and have been able to keep it off through a combination of better diet and exercise. The key was coming up with a program that worked for me and that I could be disciplined enough to stick to. It was too easy for me to make excuses with a gym membership - dealing with kids activities, business travel, etc. I also found I easily get bored working out. For me it was setting up a gym in the basement which made it easier to commit to exercising every day, and putting the TV in front so I could watch something while I work out. Since then I've rarely missed a day and am probably in the best shape I've ever been in.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote