Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #741
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Just wait until he is fifteen years old, and thinks you are the most clueless person on the planet.

They come back around though in their 20s.
Well, in fairness, he will probably be right on that point.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #742
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finishing a major refresh of a home I purchased and moving in. It's been a few weeks and I still can't believe the place is mine. It feels like I'm air BnBing a premium home to myself or something.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #743
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I used to read on CP about people who loved their jobs and think they were delusional or liars. Or blinded by money.

I vaguely recall busting your balls over this, glad to hear to got on top of things.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #744
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I used to read on CP about people who loved their jobs and think they were delusional or liars. Or blinded by money.

Well, I love my job. Not win the lottery and keep working full time love but love nonetheless.

I had zero career aspirations until now. Hard not to feel like I wasted 10-15 good working years. Better late than never I guess.

I hated my old career so much that I impulsively quit and then took 7 months off to think about it and do some research. I can’t believe it worked out so well.

Still no luck on the thermostat though. It’s hot as hell all day long.
Well, what is it? Share the story! Or point the way if you did, I must have missed it.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #745
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Which one? How I took 7 months off to do soul searching and find a new career or the thermostat?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #746
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad to hear you found your dream job! I quit a very high paying job that I hated last summer and did some research and took some courses. I haven't found the job I want yet and am currently severely underemployed but I hope it turns around soon! In the spirit of the thread what makes me happy is hearing other people have found success doing this!

No depression > Money
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #747
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Semantics maybe but I always avoid saying dream job. For me that’s astronaut or F1 driver.

I’ll settle for just enjoying my job, being good at it and being well compensated with lots of growth potential. That kicks it up to love but still a ways from dream.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #748
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grand parenting is the best stage. All the fun and none of the responsibilities.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #749
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, I love my job. Not win the lottery and keep working full time love but love nonetheless.

I had zero career aspirations until now. Hard not to feel like I wasted 10-15 good working years. Better late than never I guess.

I hated my old career so much that I impulsively quit and then took 7 months off to think about it and do some research. I can’t believe it worked out so well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
This post rules. I'm in a similar position now. Grinded through a bunch of pretty good but not super exciting rules and just recently landed my dream job. It is a joy to go to work now.
Joining the humble brag team. Same for me! I worked at a job I enjoyed for the most part, for the past ~13 years. Learned a lot, but near the end it was a grind. I knew if I stuck around it was going to drive me crazy. I handle stress pretty well, but I could see it coming a mile away that it was time for a change or my mental health was going to regret it. I also started working for a new boss that to put it bluntly, I didn't enjoy working for and I learned that within 2 weeks of him taking command it was going to get worse and worse unless I found something new.

Found a new position in my company and got to keep my seniority, vacation times and an increase in pay. I went from a job that I dreaded showing up to and kept me awake at night, to a much more relaxed and stress-free environment. All while having a new awesome boss that I enjoy working for.

I know I lucked out, but I'm also glad I took initiative to make it happen. I like coming to work now and really enjoy what I'm doing.

Good jobs you enjoy doing are definitely possible. Having a good boss also plays a big role. I feel really fortunate that everything lined up for me as it did.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #750
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i guess today was library day at pre-school for my little guy and this is how he greeted me when i went to pick him up.... AWESOME!!!! (apparently he knew what book he wanted and the librarian had to search a bit to find it for him! ha! ha!)

IMG_2178 by bc-chris, on Flickr

it's times like this that make me think i've got an ok handle on this 'dad thing'!
Old 02-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #751
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to take seven months off to soul search.

But I know I'd just use it to stay up late playing video games and watching movies.

And then have the bank show up to repossess my house.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #752
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'd love to take seven months off to soul search.

But I know I'd just use it to stay up late playing video games and watching movies.

And then have the bank show up to repossess my house.
That'd be a pretty sweet 7 months though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #753
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I didn’t play many video games but I watched a ton of movies and tv shows.

It wasn’t all a vacation. I did do some genuine self improvement.

And just so people don’t think I’m some fat cat who can afford to take tons of time off...I was lucky my mortgage was renewing right when I quit so I’ve been paying int only on my heloc for the past 7 mos. and the I increased the balance by $7k in 7 months. Not to mention not paying it down, so it really cost me around $10k. Plus some savings I burned thru. It was not a free 7 months. I had to watch every penny.

On the other hand I spent most of the summer on the beach in Kelowna with my nephews, eating for free staying with my folks, so it wasn’t all bad.

I also put in a lot of work. I saw a career counsellor, met with numerous industry professionals, took an online course, that was quite difficult, to broaden my options when job searching. I also got in shape, cleaned my place like it had never been cleaned before, made numerous other small but substantial changes to my life to help get me off that ledge.

Then I looked for work for 3 stress filled months where I worried every single day that I’d made a massive mistake and would never live down the embarrassment to my friends and family of quitting to change careers only to fail miserably. Some soul searching that would be if I had to go crawling back to my old career because I was broke and unhireable in my chosen field.

It took over a month before I got my first interview and didn’t get the job. It wasn’t until the 6 month mark of unemployment and 2nd month of searching that things picked up steam. Right after Xmas actually.

Then when I did get hired I had to wait a month to start. So I spent all of January worried I might have another terrible experience (having just changed employers 12mos ago which was the catalyst for the entire change in the first place).

Lastly, if you’d rather kill yourself than go to work tomorrow, started suffering crippling anxiety and depression due to hating your job/career/life, had to take start medication and see a therapist to deal with it all, then maybe you should quit your job and do some soul searching like me.

It was not fun and I wish I didn’t have to do it all but I’m glad I did. My life is a lot better now. A lot.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 02-21-2020 at 05:58 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #754
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t play many video games but I watched a ton of movies and tv shows.

It wasn’t all a vacation. I did do some genuine self improvement.

And just so people don’t think I’m some fat cat who can afford to take tons of time off...I was lucky my mortgage was renewing right when I quit so I’ve been paying int only on my heloc for the past 7 mos. and the I increased the balance by $7k in 7 months. Not to mention not paying it down, so it really cost me around $10k. Plus some savings I burned thru. It was not a free 7 months. I had to watch every penny.

On the other hand I spent most of the summer on the beach in Kelowna with my nephews, eating for free staying with my folks, so it wasn’t all bad.

I also put in a lot of work. I saw a career counsellor, met with numerous industry professionals, took an online course, that was quite difficult, to broaden my options when job searching. I also got in shape, cleaned my place like it had never been cleaned before, made numerous other small but substantial changes to my life to help get me off that ledge.

Then I looked for work for 3 stress filled months where I worried every single day that I’d made a massive mistake and would never live down the embarrassment to my friends and family of quitting to change careers only to fail miserably. Some soul searching that would be if I had to go crawling back to my old career because I was broke and unhireable in my chosen field.

It took over a month before I got my first interview and didn’t get the job. It wasn’t until the 6 month mark of unemployment and 2nd month of searching that things picked up steam. Right after Xmas actually.

Then when I did get hired I had to wait a month to start. So I spent all of January worried I might have another terrible experience (having just changed employers 12mos ago which was the catalyst for the entire change in the first place).

Lastly, if you’d rather kill yourself than go to work tomorrow, started suffering crippling anxiety and depression due to hating your job/career/life, had to take start medication and see a therapist to deal with it all, then maybe you should quit your job and do some soul searching like me.

It was not fun and I wish I didn’t have to do it all but I’m glad I did. My life is a lot better now. A lot.
If your work is doing that to you, you may want to consider short term disability to take a step back and still not get screwed financially. Lots of people end up forced into some sort of stress leave. No shame in that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #755
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i guess today was library day at pre-school for my little guy and this is how he greeted me when i went to pick him up.... AWESOME!!!! (apparently he knew what book he wanted and the librarian had to search a bit to find it for him! ha! ha!)

IMG_2178 by bc-chris, on Flickr

it's times like this that make me think i've got an ok handle on this 'dad thing'!
you suck

he doesn't

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #756
BrolyTheUnholy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm so happy Harvey Weinstein is going to prison. Finally, someone who treats women like garbage and thinks his power will let him get away with atrocious behaviour is being punished. I was starting to lose faith.
BrolyTheUnholy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrolyTheUnholy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #757
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Springsteen releasing "Live in Dublin" on vinyl, absolutely love this album, although my neighbours probably don't share that opinion
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #758
Guest1

Being 10 weeks post-op shoulder surgery and being able to do all the National Lifeguard skills needed to re certify. It was all one-armed as I can barely lift my arm over my head still. But it MMH when I did my 400 meter timed swim in 8:15 doing one armed freestyle and backstroke and then hearing the guard on deck say "You were faster with one arm than I've ever done in my whole life with 2!"
The 50 meter head up freestyle with one hand was a bit harder, but did it in 50 seconds
Can't wait to get back to work!!! Soon I hope!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 09:25 PM   #759
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Local bar in High River (Knee Deep Bar & Grill) has an open mic session every Wednesday night where musicians come and show off their singing and playing talents. I happen to know one of guitar players and he plays for me while I do Jim Stafford's Wildwood Weed. I first did it some 6 weeks ago and every week I get requests to do the song again

Last edited by Dion; 02-26-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #760
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Used that CRA 'uncashed cheques' function, and found some extra money. Not a great sum, but enough to take a nice slice out of a planned trip in a couple weeks. Nice to see that feature.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: