Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #2061
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Everything I hear about David Price being picked up by a trade partner is that the Red Sox would have to add another pretty significant piece to unload that contract. I've seen some speculate, here I think, that Benintendi would be a piece to go the other way. I would be surprised to see a guy like Benintendi part of the package as he is very good and also has years of control (free agent in 2023).

However, the Red Sox seem determined to get under the Competitive Balance Tax threshold. Right now they are 22 million dollars above the threshold which incurs a ~ 9 million dollar levy. So not only is David Price costing them 32 million dollars a year in annual salary, that salary is incurring a 9 million dollar tax as well, so the Red Sox are paying 41 million dollars annually for a 7-5 pitcher with a 4.2 ERA. So any team taking that on would be doing Boston a huge favor; is that worth a Benintendi for the Red Sox? Maybe, but I think it would be more like a Jackie Bradley Jr coming with David Price.

EDIT: Harry Lime seems like you were posting a similar thought as myself, our numbers are bit different, I was just pulling them from Sportrac.com, I am not sure how reliable their numbers are to be honest, but the sentiment remains the same. The Red Sox are in a tough spot.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 01-22-2020 at 04:32 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #2062
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the problem that Boston faces. JBJ is only slightly better than Pillar, who can be had for free.

Edit to your edit : I was pulling from Sportrac as well, but against the projected number for the luxury tax, which is higher than last year. You're right, that they would want to hedge their bets and fall under the previous number. The players in question pretty much remain the same though. I like to see the Red Sox squirm, but on the other hand, at least they went for it when they could.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 01-22-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #2063
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of want the Red Sox to eat that contract so thry cant re-sign Betts and the Jays could take a massive run at signing him next off season.

Jays biggest organizational weakness is OF, imagine landing a 27 year old 6+ WAR Mookie Betts to help with that?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #2064
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Three Blue Jays make Baseball America’s Top 100 prospects list.

7 – Nate Pearson
29 – Jordan Groshans
61 – Simeon Woods Richardson (Thus making a bunch of folk retroactively pleased with the return for Stroman I'm sure). Makes sense to me 19 year olds who can shove in Hi-A are rare.

Dunedin is gonna have a ballin' rotation.
Woods Richardson/Pardinho/Manoah/Luciano... fearsome.

Terrible contract. I mean I'll take Price... but Boston would have to pay through the nose to get me to do it. Zero interest in helping the M#######s sort out their payroll jam.
Really sucks Groshans missed the 2nd half of last season. That's a guy that would probably be starting in AA this season had he stayed healthy, and finished the season in AAA putting him very close to his MLB debut by the end of 2020.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #2065
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Really sucks Groshans missed the 2nd half of last season. That's a guy that would probably be starting in AA this season had he stayed healthy, and finished the season in AAA putting him very close to his MLB debut by the end of 2020.
Not that quick I wager. Even if you ignore service time considerations the Jays don't usually skip Dunedin. Of course if he'd stayed healthy he might have gotten a mid-season promotion and if he raked in Hi-A (FSL being a pitchers league) he might have been under consideration for AA but I wager he'd have started in Dunedin with an eye towards early promotion.

If all goes well I wouldn't wager that we'd see him anytime before September 2021. Don't have a spot for him anyways... I wager he ends up as a 3B and the Jays can squeeze a few more years out of Vlad there before giving him a 1B glove (which is a waste of a good arm but you can only fight genetics for so long and Vlad's body isn't built for range).
Parallex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #2066
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not that quick I wager. Even if you ignore service time considerations the Jays don't usually skip Dunedin. Of course if he'd stayed healthy he might have gotten a mid-season promotion and if he raked in Hi-A (FSL being a pitchers league) he might have been under consideration for AA but I wager he'd have started in Dunedin with an eye towards early promotion.

If all goes well I wouldn't wager that we'd see him anytime before September 2021. Don't have a spot for him anyways... I wager he ends up as a 3B and the Jays can squeeze a few more years out of Vlad there before giving him a 1B glove (which is a waste of a good arm but you can only fight genetics for so long and Vlad's body isn't built for range).
Yeah, I wasn't saying he'd have skipped Dunedin, but that he would have been there for the last part of the season, doninated and would now be looking at starting in AA. I would have expected him to have the same timeline as Bichette.

Ah well. Hopefully he stays healthy this season and gets here in 2021 sometime.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #2067
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

So an Astros fan made a website of all the pitches the 2017Astros cheating at home in calling with the garbage can bang, after watching all the hours of video and logging every instance.

The most pitches they called out in a game that year is a game was against the Jays in early August, in a 16-7 win. 54 of 175. Two Jays pitchers who got roughed up in that game, have never pitched in the majors since.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...e-jays/sn-amp/
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:20 PM   #2068
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
So an Astros fan made a website of all the pitches the 2017Astros cheating at home in calling with the garbage can bang, after watching all the hours of video and logging every instance.

The most pitches they called out in a game that year is a game was against the Jays in early August, in a 16-7 win. 54 of 175. Two Jays pitchers who got roughed up in that game, have never pitched in the majors since.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...e-jays/sn-amp/

When you hear of things like that, you then start to realize it's not a stretch that cheating can have really bad effects, and it's not all about just cheating to win. This likely directly hurt someone's ability to make a living for themselves. It makes you think. I'm not surprised by this as executives in general like to think about results over anything else, so this speaks to that mentality, but it's so wrong when the little guy who likely just started their career gets screwed out of a career and has to start their life again. But hey, Houston won, good for them. Even Dusty Baker isn't going to be able to fix their reputation.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #2069
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have stripped them of the title
As it stands it’s completely tainted anyways
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 04:38 PM   #2070
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1223311741070774272
Old 01-31-2020, 08:24 PM   #2071
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah man, I really enjoyed Tony as the SS. Incredible fielding talent as a player. Hope all goes better.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:00 PM   #2072
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Joc Pederson trade to the Angels fell through.

27 years old, outfielder, left handed bat, consistent .800+ OPSer in Dodger stadium...he'd probably fair well at the plate in Rogers.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #2073
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The Joc Pederson trade to the Angels fell through.

27 years old, outfielder, left handed bat, consistent .800+ OPSer in Dodger stadium...he'd probably fair well at the plate in Rogers.
He would but he's not a good fit for a trade candidate... he's only got 1 year of team control left, the jays have a glut of outfielders already on the 40 man so they'd need to find takers for even more of the glut, the jays don't have anyone like Luis Rengifo to offer in exchange.

I kind of feel just about any trade the Jays could come up with that the Dodgers would accept would just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Parallex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #2074
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He would but he's not a good fit for a trade candidate... he's only got 1 year of team control left, the jays have a glut of outfielders already on the 40 man so they'd need to find takers for even more of the glut, the jays don't have anyone like Luis Rengifo to offer in exchange.

I kind of feel just about any trade the Jays could come up with that the Dodgers would accept would just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Yeah, the one year of control is definitely not ideal. Too bad.