Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #13141
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
What is the story with Ladd? I dont pay enough attention. Is his issue that he can't keep up anymore either?
he's a 33 year old guy shut down for the season with a torn ACL.

Like, where are people coming up with these absolutely horrible trade proposals?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #13142
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Blow it up!

Gaudreau
Monahan
Brodie

for

Hischier
Hall
Old 04-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #13143
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
Blow it up!

Gaudreau
Monahan
Brodie

for

Hischier
Hall
Disgusting

Taylor Hall has been so overrated by our fans recently. This guy has played for 4 teams that have drafted 1st overall since he was picked yet this guy is a winner? Duchene as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #13144
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Disgusting

Taylor Hall has been so overrated by our fans recently. This guy has played for 4 teams that have drafted 1st overall since he was picked yet this guy is a winner? Duchene as well
Yes, but if Hall can't help you win the Cup, he'll help you win the lottery. You can't lose with Hall on your team.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #13145
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
My dream trade would be:

To Det:
Monahan
1st

To Cgy:
D. Larkin

Larkin is better than Monahan at everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #13146
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brodie, Frolik and a 1st for Giroux
Old 04-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #13147
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Andrew Ladd would instantly become a bigger problem then Neal

Why don't we try playing Neal with a better centre than Mark Jankowski for a while and see what happens? I'd like to see a new 1C and then Neal with Monahan on line 2.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #13148
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Why don't we try playing Neal with a better centre than Mark Jankowski for a while and see what happens? I'd like to see a new 1C and then Neal with Monahan on line 2.
That wouldn't work, both Neal and Mony are snipers and they lack footspeed to generate chances by themselves.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #13149
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should target a player like Kadri.

Would be awesome to have a Tkachuk - Kadri - Bennett line. Either that or have each one on a different line (Kadri 1st, Tkachuk 2nd, Bennett 3rd).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #13150
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be very open to a Hamonic - Kadri swap. Kadri is very much the kind of dynamic 200 foot center that Monahan isn't, and his high-end ability to draw penalties is always a plus. Andersson and Valimaki to me should be our second pair next year so it makes perfect sense to sell high on our second pair before they get demoted.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 PM   #13151
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
Come on man...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #13152
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Come on Scorp. Neal’s issues weren’t his linemates.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 PM   #13153
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I mean, Neal has a ton of issues, but I'm not sure we can exonerate his linemates. Jankowski is next to useless at even strength. I'd really like to see Neal with a line that has a bit more skill.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #13154
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal consistently got ice time with Monahan and Gaudreau after each PK, as Lindholm needed a rotation off. Was also a permanent fixture on the 2nd PP unit throughout the season.

Say what you want about Jankowski's struggles but Neal's are his own.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #13155
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I would be very open to a Hamonic - Kadri swap. Kadri is very much the kind of dynamic 200 foot center that Monahan isn't, and his high-end ability to draw penalties is always a plus. Andersson and Valimaki to me should be our second pair next year so it makes perfect sense to sell high on our second pair before they get demoted.
I think there is a less than zero chance Hamonic gets dealt from a blueline already suffering from lack of toughness.

Brodie though?

Gonzo.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #13156
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, Neal has a ton of issues, but I'm not sure we can exonerate his linemates. Jankowski is next to useless at even strength. I'd really like to see Neal with a line that has a bit more skill.
In that equation though, it’s Jankowski who got shafted with a linemate. Not Neal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #13157
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan and Gaudreau are going nowhere. Neither is Backlund. The Flames just had a season for the ages, and in large measure it was these players that got them there. Sure the playoffs sucked, but it happens. Might as well overreact and just blow it up.

You add to the core. You find the pieces you can do without, put them together, and try and make a deal for pieces you need. What do the Flames need? More size and speed.

Some people are still thinking that it was because Colorado was so fast that the Flames looked so slow. Not quite. Colorado basically neutralized Calgary's speed. They were on Gaudreau all the time. They clogged up the neutral zone. They also hit harder and out-muscled Calgary all over the ice. What Calgary needs is a couple of big and fast players with some speed.

Who is out, and who is in for next season?
Gaudreau - Monahan - X
Tkachuk - Lindholm - X
Bennett - Backlund - Neal (since nobody is going to take him)
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Yelesin
Kylington

Guys who I really believe are gone:
Frolik - he wanted out, and I think the Flames will move him.
Jankowski - Peters stated that he prefers a 5'9" guy in Mangiapane competing for pucks over a 6'4" guy who doesn't.
Neal is not going anywhere. Not going to happen. I would trade him for a pure enforcer at this rate - at least those types are really good in the locker room like Neal is, but they won't ever complain about a lack of playing time.

Defence is a bit murky - I don't want Brodie to go - puck moving defencemen of his ability are not easy to find. From a cap perspective, it almost makes sense to, however (thanks Neal). Kylington is a really interesting case, however. You don't keep him as the 7th defencemen, and IIRC, he is waiver eligible next season. Maybe he can play his off-side. I don't know. However, a Brodie + Kylington package would be a very appealing package to grab a top-tier player with.

You don't want to just add a bunch of guys with size and not much else. What the Flames do need, however, is a few more players with size and speed and skill. Those cost a premium. No over the hill has-beens with injury concerns like Getzlaf (can't believe people want him now - he is 33 and has missed significant time in the last 2 seasons. He is slowing down, and his cap hit is HIGH. He was elite, but raise your hands up if you believe he will return to being an elite PPG center at the age of 34 and 35? Maybe he does, but I would bet against it. You are still paying elite numbers for what is to be expected a consistent downward spiral.

Gillies is gone in my opinion. I think Smith gets re-signed. Parsons is a year older now, MacDonald has been WAY more consistent in the ECHL and looks to have his career turned around (though with goalies, who really knows), and that Russian goalie Zagidulin might be something, might not be, but he will need playing time.

I think there are going to be a tonne of changes. Last off-season, Treliving was sniffing around Reaves and even Maroon. When those fell through, I wish he just signed Iginla for a year contract over Neal - in hindsight, the Flames would have been incredibly better off. Neal is not bouncing back - not in Calgary. Maybe the stick issue is the culprit, but even his shot looks like one of the worst on the team. He is the slowest skater. I don't see a guy who simply had 'bad luck'.

There are a number of seriously good trade chips to use. Frolik carries value. Brodie carries value. Someone is going to look at a 6'4" Jankowski and think that he carries value. Either way, you package of a few assets, and try to add some speed WITH some size and tenacity. Flames rolled over and gave up this series. They got manhandled, even if they sometimes 'out-hit' the Avs. They might have out-hit them on the stats sheet, but the eye test tells me that they got run over for the most part. You need to be a mean, hungry and aggressive team in the playoffs. When you are not, the other team bounces you. Tampa got rolled over by a mean, aggressive fast team. Can you overcome that? Yep, to a point, but you absolutely need some size and tenacity in your lineup come playoff time, or you often do get run over. Good on the Flames for trying, but they simply need to get bigger.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #13158
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post

You’re not even trying, sending some stuff to Philly for one of its stars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #13159
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brodie is a decent pick up, and Giroux is 31 and post-apex with a big contract. Maybe throw in another pick but its not that bad..
Old 04-22-2019, 10:23 PM   #13160
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

If you’re Philly GM, would you do it?
Closed Thread