Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #981
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Every dog bite is a problem, but here I'll post this again so you don't ignore it for the 17th time:

http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

And I'll even do the math for you so you can't ignore that.

If we look at that graph and look at the year 2012 and look at dog bites, it looks like about 200-250 reported bites last year. Now we'll look at the overall population and it looks like about 1,150,000.

So your chances of being bitten in Calgary is about .02%.

Your chances of having any sort of incident of dog aggression at all is about .05%.

Hell even if we assume just as many dog incidents go unreported that's still only .1%.

So yes Sliver, every dog bite is a problem, every irresponsible owner and untrained dog is a problem... but it's not the issue you make it out to be.
He's not going to listen to you, judging by your name and avatar you are a dog.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #982
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Honestly Silver,

You suffer from a serious issue, no one can force you to like dogs, but your fear and hate of dogs is not healthy for you or your kids.
When a Terminator tells you your fear of dogs is over the top, that's when you know you have a problem.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #983
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
He's not going to listen to you, judging by your name and avatar you are a dog.
It all makes sense now... he is provoking Old Yeller then running away.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #984
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Every dog bite is a problem, but here I'll post this again so you don't ignore it for the 17th time:

http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1

And I'll even do the math for you so you can't ignore that.

If we look at that graph and look at the year 2012 and look at dog bites, it looks like about 200-250 reported bites last year. Now we'll look at the overall population and it looks like about 1,150,000.

So your chances of being bitten in Calgary is about .02%.

Your chances of having any sort of incident of dog aggression at all is about .05%.

Hell even if we assume just as many dog incidents go unreported that's still only .1%.

So yes Sliver, every dog bite is a problem, every irresponsible owner and untrained dog is a problem... but it's not the issue you make it out to be.
I'm not ignoring it. As you say, every dog bite is a problem and that's what this thread is about. If you want to start a thread on all the dog bites that didn't happen, go nuts.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #985
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Not even close to true. Others have bumped it following attacks more often than me recently, including the latest bump.

You really want the clutter of a new thread for every attack? That doesn't seem like a clean, clear and organized way to discuss this issue imo.

Have you ever been bit by a dog?
Has a family member of yours ever been bit by a dog?
Do you know anyone that has been bit by a dog?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #986
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not ignoring it. As you say, every dog bite is a problem and that's what this thread is about. If you want to start a thread on all the dog bites that didn't happen, go nuts.
Sigh... stop being intentionally obtuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver
Pretty incredible (and disheartening) dog bite reports have jumped fourfold in just five years.

A thread can have more than one issue. Specifically I'm speaking to the above issue that you brought up. As I said to you last time this thread was bumped, or maybe it was 2 or 3 times ago, it's all mixing together... anyways you bring up an issue:
  • Dog bites have jumped fourfold in the last 5 years

Then some context is added in the form of actual data that substantiates the fact that issue you're stating isn't as severe as you originally thought... and then you pretend to be stupid and not get that point or flat out ignore it.

I don't know if that's more sad or if the fact that I bite on it every time and explain it to you.

Just something to chew on, but maybe just MAAAAYBE you might be applying the context of your negative situation with your neighbor to every dog owner in the entire city and it just doesn't work that way. It's too broad a brush you're trying to paint with.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #987
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sliver's rhetoric is over-the-top, and his logic is a bit dodgy at times, but fundamentally the guy is right.

I really like dogs and will often stop and pet them if their owners say it's ok. But I am constantly amazed how inconsiderate many dog-owners are. Letting their strange dog approach and jump on you and saying "oh he's friendly" or some other such b.s. Letting their dogs leash be extended to the point of potentially tripping you as a passer-by or, at the very least, obstructing your right to walk on the side-walk. Failing to leash their animals in crowded areas. It's brutal.

As Rouge said (I believe), people shouldn't have to adapt their behaviour to dogs. It should be the other way. I wonder if these lousy dog-owners were inconsiderate before they got dogs or if getting a dog turned them inconsiderate. What a mystery...

Oh, and Sliver was DESS?!? WTF? How did I miss that?

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #988
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #989
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A Trumann man awoke Monday morning to find his dog eating one of his testicles.
The man, who has not been identified, is paralyzed and told police he has “no feeling from the waist down.”
Around 7:45 a.m. Monday he was awakened by a “burning pain” in his mid-section, according to the initial police report.
The 39-year-old man told police he sleeps in the nude and noticed the dog was between his legs.
He also noticed the “small, white, fluffy dog” had blood on its muzzle and front feet.
When the man looked further, according to the report, he noticed that “the dog had eaten one of his testicles.”
The victim said the dog was a stray he had taken in about three weeks earlier. The man was unsure if the dog had been vaccinated.
Police took the dog to a local veterinarian where it was euthanized. Its head was sent to the Arkansas Department of Health to be tested for rabies.
The victim was taken to St. Bernards Regional Medical Center where he was treated for his injuries.
http://poinsettcounty.kait8.com/news...-mans-testicle

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #990
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I laughed that the was taken to St Bernards hospital.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #991
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

A Trumann man awoke Monday morning to find his dog eating one of his testicles.
The man, who has not been identified, is paralyzed and told police he has “no feeling from the waist down.”
Around 7:45 a.m. Monday he was awakened by a “burning pain” in his mid-section, according to the initial police report.
The 39-year-old man told police he sleeps in the nude and noticed the dog was between his legs.
He also noticed the “small, white, fluffy dog” had blood on its muzzle and front feet.
When the man looked further, according to the report, he noticed that “the dog had eaten one of his testicles.”
The victim said the dog was a stray he had taken in about three weeks earlier. The man was unsure if the dog had been vaccinated.
Police took the dog to a local veterinarian where it was euthanized. Its head was sent to the Arkansas Department of Health to be tested for rabies.
The victim was taken to St. Bernards Regional Medical Center where he was treated for his injuries.

http://poinsettcounty.kait8.com/news...-mans-testicle
That was an epic last supper before execution for that dog.

Cowperson
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #992
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I suppose it has been a few weeks since the last pit bull attack in Calgary, so we were about due. Plus, why intimidate Calgarians by owning just one pit bull when you can be twice as menacing by owning two!

Two pit bulls were euthanized today following a vicious attack yesterday: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/bu...936/story.html
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #993
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ sounds like a good call. I saw some of the pictures on Global. Just awful.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #994
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm glad those vicious dogs are dead. If my dog was mauled like that in front of me I would have grabbed a bat and beat them to death in front of their owners. What a horrible breed.

Last edited by Brannigans Law; 08-18-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #995
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
I'm glad those vicious dogs are dead. If my dog was mauled like that in front of me I would have grabbed a bat and beat them to death in front if their owners. What a horrible breed.
Have you tried bear spray?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #996
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Have you tried bear spray?
Only as deodorant.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #997
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Charges laid by Animal and Bylaw Services include one count of animal at large, two counts of damage to an animal and two counts of having an unlicensed animal.
Aaaaaand another reason why breed bans will never work.

####ty owners not controlling/containing their aggressive dogs also are the same ones who don't register their dogs... shocking.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #998
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dog in Ontario attacks bear, vicious things

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/05...om-bear-attack
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #999
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Sliver has a bit of an ally in Paul Rockley (Publisher of the Okotoks Western Wheel). Apparently he doesn't like dogs either... especially the 3 ft tall ones.

By the way, he was really exaggerating when he says there were "hundreds" of dogs there. He makes it sound like the street was over run with dogs.... not even close.

It was a great show by the way. Hundreds of beautiful muscle cars. Best show and shine yet that Okotoks has put on. Looking forward to the High River Show... hopefully dogs won't be banned.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1000
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Sliver has a bit of an ally in Paul Rockley (Publisher of the Okotoks Western Wheel). Apparently he doesn't like dogs either... especially the 3 ft tall ones.

By the way, he was really exaggerating when he says there were "hundreds" of dogs there. He makes it sound like the street was over run with dogs.... not even close.

It was a great show by the way. Hundreds of beautiful muscle cars. Best show and shine yet that Okotoks has put on. Looking forward to the High River Show... hopefully dogs won't be banned.
Regarding Rockley's commentary, the Millarville Farmers' Market doesn't allow dogs because of health regulations - the nearby preparation of food - not because of any dislike of dogs.

The 106th Annual Priddis & Millarville Fair this past Saturday, integrated with the Market, had about 6,000 people in attendance and the Fair includes dog shows . . . . . plus lots of horses, sheep, roosters, chickens, etc, all on site. Saw a huge pig dressed-up in pink butterfly wings too.

Cowperson

Tags
dog attack puppy barking