Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Is this Treliving's toughest offseason?

Have to think that the group showed it is capable of more. There's no replacing Gaudreau, so he has to get signed. Tkachuk, too.

Mangiapane and Kylington are next up and that leaves a bunch of holes for depth forwards and bottom pairing.

But what do you do if Gaudreau leaves? If Tkachuk doesn't see eye-to-eye on extension? Flames should be able to find a way to fit everything together but it won't be easy.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...uk-salary-cap/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
BaconGuy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This might be the unpopular opinion. But i think Tre has to prioritize a Zadarov signing over Kylington. Zadarov had a great team first playoff, and has constantly impressed me with his mobility for a big man.

Yes you are paying for a UFA if you dont get it done soon, but you can always take your chance with Kylington in arbitration, and play up the fact that the majority of his points came early in the season to keep his costs down on a one year bridge
BaconGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BaconGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be for sure.

Assuming that Johnny and Tkachuk get signed for mega deals, some players have to go.

Barring some miracle on Lucic and Monny, tough choices need to be made.

Mangiapane in particular will be a tough negotiation, as he's still not particularly happy with previous negotiations. He's not giving out any bargain now that he's has some power.

I think if Johnny and Tkachuk ink big deals, Mangiapane is the most likely guy to go. He could easily be moved for decent draft capital (including a first).
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconGuy View Post
This might be the unpopular opinion. But i think Tre has to prioritize a Zadarov signing over Kylington. Zadarov had a great team first playoff, and has constantly impressed me with his mobility for a big man.

Yes you are paying for a UFA if you dont get it done soon, but you can always take your chance with Kylington in arbitration, and play up the fact that the majority of his points came early in the season to keep his costs down on a one year bridge
I doubt the time period where he scored points is particularly relevant, it's the years total that will matter.

I have trouble thinking they can fit Z into the budget for next year assuming Johnny and Tkachuk are back.

And you are paying UFA prices for Z now.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:57 PM   #5
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that Johnny is the priority.

Tkachuk and Mangiapane, I have to agree that one is likely gone. Tkachuk if his cap demand is over 10M, and otherwise Mangiapane. Eat Bread is a heart and soul guy, and brokeout in a big way, but if Tkachuk will sign at 9M, he's gone.

The toughest decision to make is at left defense. Hanifin, Kylington, Zadorov, Mackey, Valimaki. I think that Zad is priced out. I also think that Kylington just played his first full season, and will sign at a decent rate. He's staying. Mackey needs a very long look. He looks like Gio 2.0 and needs a chance to play. Valimaki is a wildcard.

I just watched Hanifin for a full year plus playoffs, and I have no idea what kind of a player he is. I know that he has high value around the league.

I would be beyond surprised if Monahan moves. I doubt Lucic does. Pelletier plays. I hope that Phillips does.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:58 PM   #6
BaconGuy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I doubt the time period where he scored points is particularly relevant, it's the years total that will matter.

I have trouble thinking they can fit Z into the budget for next year assuming Johnny and Tkachuk are back.

And you are paying UFA prices for Z now.
Those arbitration meetings can get downright dirty, focusing on players weaknesses if you are coming from the team. Calgary could make the argument that the majority of the points came with Kylington was still vying for a full time position, and then played down to a different level for the rest of the season as the number seem to indicate a second half slowdown.

Either way you probably only sour your relationship with the player and do that if you need to penny pinch to keep this squad together. Everything depends on Johnny and Chucky to start
BaconGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #7
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sincerely hoping Lucic gives reasonable thought to retirement. He would be a great addition to the organizational side of the club.

The other possibility we are not talking about a lot is the potential of moving on from Markstrom at an earlier juncture and letting Wolf and Vladar share the net.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 02:12 PM   #8
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And we need at least 2a, 2b Centre who can drive the line. Can Monahan be that guy?
We have few wingers, so if he can find a perfect C /not Jarnkrok please/ we should better next year.
Can 2nd line C /new/ + Dube /or Pelletier, or Phillips/ can replace Tkachuk's points?

If Johnny get's more than $10 million, I think 2 of Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Toffoli and Monahan are gone.
Can we buy out Lucic and re-sign a league minimum like Stone did?

Last edited by NewFan; 05-30-2022 at 02:14 PM.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #9
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that a non-hip issue Monahan is exactly what was missing from this years playoff roster.

If Tkachuk is the one that leaves :

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Monahan - Dube

If Mangiapane is the one that leaves :

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Dube - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Monahan - Toffoli

That last set looks really good, and Tre can play with the defense. Hopefully at sometime during the season, Monahan is fully recovered, and the third line becomes the second line.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As good as Monahan was, I can't imagine a world where he is able to keep up with the game now. Having both hips surgically repaired isn't going to make him faster, he just won't be playing in as much pain (hopefully).

The game has taken his best from him and he was great during those years, but he is the only player of a salary over $5M that it makes sense to move on from.
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 04:32 PM   #11
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure of the different kinds of hip surgery, only when they are season ending. Benn and Seguin of the Stars might have lost a step, but Kuchurov, Pasternak and Marchand all seem ok after rehab.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I am sincerely hoping Lucic gives reasonable thought to retirement. He would be a great addition to the organizational side of the club.

The other possibility we are not talking about a lot is the potential of moving on from Markstrom at an earlier juncture and letting Wolf and Vladar share the net.
Wolf hasn't seen a lick of NHL action to justify moving Markstrom quite yet. That would essentially put Vladar into the #1 role until Wolf is ready to take over. Wolf is still an unknown, albeit a good one.

Markstrom sucked in round 2, but is a legitimate Vezina candidate otherwise. Flames stopped spinning their wheels on goaltenders since the day he signed, so I hope the team doesn't go back to that strategy.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm not sure of the different kinds of hip surgery, only when they are season ending. Benn and Seguin of the Stars might have lost a step, but Kuchurov, Pasternak and Marchand all seem ok after rehab.
Marchand only had his surgery last week so only time will tell. Seguin only had his a year ago and doctors say you're not completey back to normal until the next season due to strength issues.

Benn put up 89, 69, 79 in the 3 years after his surgery.

Here's an article about Benn and the Stars showing the prevalence of hip issues in the NHL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/s...ery-in-a-week/
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:50 PM   #14
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
As good as Monahan was, I can't imagine a world where he is able to keep up with the game now. Having both hips surgically repaired isn't going to make him faster, he just won't be playing in as much pain (hopefully).

The game has taken his best from him and he was great during those years, but he is the only player of a salary over $5M that it makes sense to move on from.
I think we need to see a surgically repaired and rehabbed Monahan on the ice before we declare him to be passed by.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:56 PM   #15
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't commit 12m to the 4th line anymore. That clearly needs to be redirected to Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

That defense was exposed in the playoffs and a position of weakness imo. I think another minutes munching top D would really help. If there was ever a time for Valimaki to emerge as a stud blueliner, now is that time. Otherwise, not sure where BT finds one without creating another hole.

Not exactly sure if Toffoli helped this team as he seemed quite slow and there's already a lot of slow players on this roster. That 1st round pick sure looks good heading into this draft.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:03 PM   #16
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, the Fourth line should be honestly max 4m in cap space, even that is pushing it.
Lewis-Ruzika-Ritchie type cost, and that extra money should be going to Gaudreau, Tkachuk and defence.

With Gaudreau and Tkachuk signed for around 10 mill each, and not expecting them to sell Tofolli so quickly, I just don’t see how they don’t replace Mangiapane (Tofolli in the top 6) with Pelletier and use that money towards defence.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I think we need to see a surgically repaired and rehabbed Monahan on the ice before we declare him to be passed by.
Are there any other NHL examples of $6M+ former first line players who had both hips surgically repaired and came back as good as they were?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #18
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post

I have my doubts any team would trade for him
For the reasons above. If they did my guess is your looking at a 1st round pick as a sweetener. My guess is they buy him out this off season if they can sign Johnny and Mathew.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:45 PM   #19
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Are there any other NHL examples of $6M+ former first line players who had both hips surgically repaired and came back as good as they were?
Quite a few, actually. I just posted that Jamie Benn had both hips fixed in 2015 and had 89, 69 and 79 points the next three seasons. Marchand is way older than Monahan and I'll bet he comes back just fine. Kucherov had 69 points in 47 games this year after hip surgery last year (and 15 playoff points now in 11 games).

All I'm saying is there's no point in writing off Monahan and selling low. Better to see what we've got first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 05:46 PM   #20
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

If he was a life long Flame and owed a million I could see it. But four million is a hell of a lot of money to leave on the table, no matter who you are. The more realistic option is to pay someone like Arizona to take his contract.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote