Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you take with pick #3 if you were the Flames GM
Levshunov 38 23.60%
Dickinson 39 24.22%
Silayev 5 3.11%
Catton 3 1.86%
Lindstrom 35 21.74%
Parekh 6 3.73%
Buium 1 0.62%
Eiserman 0 0%
Helenius 0 0%
Yakemchuk 1 0.62%
Iginla 33 20.50%
Greentree 0 0%
Brandsegg-Nygard 0 0%
Connelly 0 0%
Jiricek 0 0%
Chernyshov 0 0%
Hage 0 0%
Boisvert 0 0%
Sennecke 0 0%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2024, 02:24 PM   #21
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well rounded = play in all situations

You need four of those!

And Weegar is 30, no point in putting him and an 18 year old in direct competition.
Yeah that's fair. Andersson and Kylington then!

4 though? What about 3 + a guy who lights up your PP1?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:26 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think either Dickinson or Levshunov, I don't really know. I usually see Levshunov ranking higher, so I went with that.

Levshunov and Dickinson are consistently ranked in the top 5, but it seems like they don't get talked about as much. I've heard way more about Parekh and Buium.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:28 PM   #23
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
That's fair. I forgot we have Hunter B coming up, so maybe we already have a QB.

I really like that Dickinson is only 17 and is already 6'3 194. I'm just not super familiar with average point totals year over year, etc. Like I know what a point-per-game means for an NHL D, but what does it mean for an OHL D? Of the two I compared, one has 70 in 68, the other has 96 in 66. Are both considered elite numbers, with one just being more elite than the other? Or is 96 considered elite, and 70 just "good/very good"?

Also, I put a lot of stock in playoff performances compared to regular season. Do they elevate in bigger games or do they stay the same? Do they fall off instead?
Dougie Hamilton, who is often erroneously considered an offense-only defender, scored 58 points in 67 games in his draft year. Dickinson's 70 points in 68 games only looks unimpressive when compared against the best ever offensive season by a draft-eligible defender (Parekh).

Basically, people (like me) like Dickinson because he's producing significant offensive results despite the fact that he's mostly lauded for his defensive abilities. By all means prefer Parekh for the ridiculous upside and absolutely bonkers results, but don't begrudge people who think a more well-rounded player at the top of the lineup could be just as good or better (especially for an organization that already has Poirier, Brzustewicz, and Morin as offensive guys).
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:29 PM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
I'm open to corrections but my understanding is:

Dickinson: most well rounded, might not be a top PP point man but can play any situation

Parekh: offense is top level, defense is just adequate
In my mind, (more) solid D can be taught and/or shored up. Offence at Parekh's level... a player has to be born with that.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:30 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
Dougie Hamilton, who is often erroneously considered an offense-only defender, scored 58 points in 67 games in his draft year. Dickinson's 70 points in 68 games only looks unimpressive when compared against the best ever offensive season by a draft-eligible defender (Parekh).

Basically, people (like me) like Dickinson because he's producing significant offensive results despite the fact that he's mostly lauded for his defensive abilities. By all means prefer Parekh for the ridiculous upside and absolutely bonkers results, but don't begrudge people who think a more well-rounded player at the top of the lineup could be just as good or better (especially for an organization that already has Poirier, Brzustewicz, and Morin as offensive guys).
I'm not begrudgining anyone at all. I'm asking honest questions.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:39 PM   #26
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla!

Tenacious on the puck, superior shot and speed, immaculate bloodline and likely habits... he's very young in the draft class and already the key offensive player on his whl team.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM   #27
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Honestly Yakemchuk is just an adventure. Complete rover who reminds me a lot of Zadorov in terms of how much he likes to rush the puck. I've said for a while that his floor is Zadorov and his ceiling is Dougie Hamilton.
18 years old. 6'3" 194. 71P and 120PIMs in 66 games. I hear his name all the time whenever I start the car and the Hitmen are playing. It's like non-stop Yakemchuk in the play-by-play until I get wherever I'm going.

I really wish I watched more CHL games. I don't even know how to... I wonder if they have a Center Ice thing? I'm always interested in drafts and who to pick, etc... but I have to rely on rankings, stats, scouting videos and what people post here.

Edit: Just realized I'm kinda hammering this thread right meow. I'll chill for a bit.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:44 PM   #28
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If anyone knows Craigs CP handle, you can PM it to me. When I reverse engineer the flames draft list, I will not share it publicly.

I am certainly not an amateur scout, so I'm happy for those guys to do their jobs, my heart really wants an Iggy on this team, probably short of 1st overall I would have a hard time restraining excitement for him at any pick or disappointment if they pass on him. But that's not a rational reason for drafting.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:02 PM   #29
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Not going to get into run offs etc as I want to keep this moving and do it a few times before the draft.

So I'll graduate landslides early and close votes at 100.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 03:10 PM   #30
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting to see a 4 horse race this early. I waffled between Levshunov and Dickenson and voted the latter because CHL vs US college (Adam Fox trauma). Iginla was considered this high as well.
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 03:17 PM   #31
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Ended up going with Iggy. At the end of the day, I know the person I'm getting is going to have all the traits I'd want them to have... humility, teachability, poise, structure, discipline... and more important than anything else... drive to win.

8 goals, 11 points in 6 playoff games also did a lot to seal it for me. Anyone who ramps up in the playoffs gets my attention pretty easily. Far too many players go the opposite direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 03:21 PM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all about forwards. It seems for almost a decade (until now) the Flames have had a very good blueline and maybe one or two very good forward lines and it's never really worked out. I'm favoring a different direction with this rebuild. More high octane offensive approach over building blueline out.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 04:03 PM   #33
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Celebrini #1
Iginla #2-224
/threads
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 04:04 PM   #34
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cayden Lindstrom clap clap, clap clap clap.

Cayden Lindstrom clap clap, clap clap clap.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #35
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough choice. I don't see Lindstrom as a franchise C at this point - I think there are legitimate question marks there. Dickinson is probably the best bet here, followed by Parekh/Iginla for me.

I am sort of surprised I have Iginla so high. I love how relentless he is, I think he has an elite-level shot already, I think he is an incredibly smart player and he is so good at holding onto pucks and making smart plays with pucks. Add in the Iginla pedigree, and then a smidgen of nostalgia, and I think I am sold on him being next up - no worse than 4th anyway. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being picked here by the Flames or another team.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:01 PM   #36
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I mean, no one in their right mind is gonna say no to a Pietrangelo... although, if given the choice, I wonder how many would rather have a Quinn Hughes?
I'll take either! But what you hope to get is indeed a guy like AP or Hedman, that has the size, skating and reasonable offensive capabilities. True #1 dmen. Not saying Hughes isn't that - I'm a big fan - just that he's a different kind of #1 dmen. More of a rover than anything.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:27 PM   #37
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

This is so damn close.

I'll start #4 in the morning regardless of gap.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:38 PM   #38
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody voting Iginla with the 3rd overall choice is voting with their hearts, not their heads.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 08:39 PM   #39
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Anybody voting Iginla with the 3rd overall choice is voting with their hearts, not their heads.
Must be exhausting being so damn correct all the time. How do you do it?
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:42 PM   #40
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Must be exhausting being so damn correct all the time. How do you do it?
Because no scout or GM in their right fn mind would have Tij Iginla #3 on their list. So in this case, yes I am correct.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote