Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jaques Lemaire.....COME ON DOWN!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #42
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
2) Treliving's thoughts on speed. I hope he comes to the realization that the Flames already have players that can play with a lot of speed and I would say that Vegas is a good model (and I am glad that Treliving is looking at them as such). What makes Vegas a good model is that it isn't just a bunch of fast players on that team - they play a fast system. Hartley's Flames were a fast team because they were relentless much in the way that Vegas is (though, once again, I wish they had played defense in a much more aggressive style as well which was a shortcoming then). Being a fast and relentless team isn't all about just adding fast players. May biggest gripe with Gulutzan is how his system forced the Flames to play slower. Hopefully Peters' mindset is to become a relentless team like Hartley's was that incorporated an incredibly quick transition, but that plays defence like the Wild used to in which they were relentless in the defensive zone as well instead of passive. Gulutzan's Flames were way too passive for me defensively as well for the record.

I really do think that the Flames - given their existing personnel - can be one of the quicker teams in the NHL, especially so given their defensive corps.
Not to be flippant but who are the fast players? I agree to the relentless quality of Hartley in 14-15 but I also remember Byron on that team.

Gaudreau is quick laterally but he's not really a burner - Burke even mentioned this. You want guys who can play with the puck fast as well. I guy like Hathaway is probably an above average skater but can he make plays at speed? Backlund and Frolik?

I didn't really see many players who could back defenses off with speed on CGY. I agree with the defence - a strength should be the skating ability of the backend. Hopefully Peters tries to optimize this quality.

I think CGY has a few above average skaters in the forward ranks but no burners. I've been hoping for faster players for a while so I hope Treliving delivers on that.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 01:45 AM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
what does this mean for gelinas? continuing his off the bench AC role?
I wonder if they just officially move him to some sort of player development role. That's pretty much what he's been doing anyway
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #44
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I didn't really see many players who could back defenses off with speed on CGY. I agree with the defence - a strength should be the skating ability of the backend. Hopefully Peters tries to optimize this quality.
Was thinking this too. Good skaters on the back end are important,especially because they should help you deal with the other team's speed. But yeah, the defense won't be the ones making the other team back off on the rush generally. You want good quick passes to your forwards.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #45
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...Following an exhaustive search that included interviews with a vast number of candidates, the Calgary Flames GM is confident he’s found the right men...
Yet, he interviews not a single available candidate other than Peters.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
This has been beaten to death, but the circumstances behind Peters’s hiring were entirely different. It seems virtually certain that Peters’s availability was a primary reason that Gulutzan and co. were made expendable. Treliving knew at the outset which coach he wanted, so he went and got him. No interviews were conducted because the decision had already been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This has been beaten to death, but the circumstances behind Peters’s hiring were entirely different. It seems virtually certain that Peters’s availability was a primary reason that Gulutzan and co. were made expendable. Treliving knew at the outset which coach he wanted, so he went and got him. No interviews were conducted because the decision had already been made.
And you dont see the issue with that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 01:41 PM   #48
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
There are three players on this team that play relentless - Giordano, Tkachuk and Backlund. Frolik as well I would say, but he is more 'replaceable'. Bennett is the next closest to this group.
Not to take this off-topic, but Bennett is arguably one of the most relentless players in the league who just didnt fit into Gullys "play slow" system and was forced to adapt his game in the worst way possible. He could really blossom under a more aggressive system.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 01:49 PM   #49
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
To be fair, last time he interviewed multiple candidates we ended up with Gulutzan.

It’s funny, last hire Treliving was criticized for waiting too long and letting the bigger names get scooped up and this hire he’s being criticized for not taking his time.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM   #50
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if Peters is the right coach, only time will tell, but I don't have a problem with "the search". It was only two years ago that Treliving scoured the coaching ranks and ended up with Gulutzan. During this period, Treliving also spent a lot of time with Peters during the 2016 World Hockey Championships. I think if Peters was available then, Treliving would have hired him. Gulutzan really was the back up plan.

What i'm saying is that, Treliving did all his research and work in 2016. He didn't need another exhaustive search in 2018. The only question is, did Treliving make the right choice.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There is no issue because Treliving had identified well in advance the coach that he wanted. This was not a decision made on merely the results of the past season. I tend to think that Treliving targeted Peters as "his coach" shortly after the 2016 World Championships, and then once it was clear that his coach would be available he made his move.

Ultimately this comes down to how much each of us trusts Treliving's judgment, and how much we believe in what he is doing. Especially in the light of the groundwork he covered in his last coaching search, I really don't see why interviews were necessary, nor do I think they would have been productive.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #52
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is no issue because Treliving had identified well in advance the coach that he wanted. This was not a decision made on merely the results of the past season. I tend to think that Treliving targeted Peters as "his coach" shortly after the 2016 World Championships, and then once it was clear that his coach would be available he made his move...
And that's the problem. In any business it's called "falling in love with the deal". It appears he was so blinded by his determination to hire Peters, he had outright dismissed all other options even though those options were really competitive. But you're right, it's been beaten to death already. Let's move on and hope for the best.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #53
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would be hilarious if the veteran assistant coach ended up being Bob Hartley.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And that's the problem. In any business it's called "falling in love with the deal". It appears he was so blinded by his determination to hire Peters, he had outright dismissed all other options even though those options were really competitive. But you're right, it's been beaten to death already. Let's move on and hope for the best.
Textcritic is right. It all comes down to belief in Treliving. First time through it was all about the process. 2nd time through he didn’t need a process because he was fixated on his guy.

Eventually he will be judged on his results.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #55
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree that Treliving was "blinded by determination," and also with the suggestion that he "dismissed outright" other options as if to say they were never part of the evaluation process. I tend to think that Treliving knew enough about all the other available candidates to preclude any further interviews. In other words, why conduct interviews of which you already know the content and outcome, and you already have your ideal candidate in hand?

Quote:
Old 05-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Textcritic is right. It all comes down to belief in Treliving. First time through it was all about the process. 2nd time through he didn’t need a process because he was fixated on his guy.

Eventually he will be judged on his results.
I also think people tend to get rigidly fixated with terms like "process," or mantras like "always earned; never given." There is not just one way to do things, and I tend to think that most competent managers do not do everything one way.

Quote:
Old 05-27-2018, 03:44 PM   #57
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also think people tend to get rigidly fixated with terms like "process," or mantras like "always earned; never given." There is not just one way to do things, and I tend to think that most competent managers do not do everything one way.
He might very well have acknowledged to himself that the lengthy process he went through the first time was not effective in identifying a good coach.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #58
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Would be hilarious if the veteran assistant coach ended up being Bob Hartley.
Lol I thought of it too. But it was just announced Hartley will coach Avangard Omsk in the KHL
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He might very well have acknowledged to himself that the lengthy process he went through the first time was not effective in identifying a good coach.
Yes. Or he may have been immersed in the process all along from the time of his interviews in 2016 to watching other coaches from a distance. Who is to say—except Treliving—what "the process" is?

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-27-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #60
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Lol I thought of it too. But it was just announced Hartley will coach Avangard Omsk in the KHL
Yep. German Titov was their HC this past season and took the team to the playoffs. Something interesting happened there, because the news were initially all about him staying for another season. I guess they did not agree on the terms.