Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
her petulance was also embarrassing, but at least she didn't take off the medal.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am all for the suspensions, even if they are mostly symbolic. And I would expect the same treatment for the Canadian girl.

There is no place for that kind of crap. Part of the reason that we have children participate in sport is to learn values of teamsmanship and fair play. At the international level, it needs to be upheld.

For me, the coaches are the ones that needs to take the most heat. They should have straightened the kids out and led by example. The whole thing was an embarrassment, and if it were the Canadian team that did that, I would hope that the coaches would never participate with TC again.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #43
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Hey, you know what? I'm going to give her a pass given what we now know about how she was treated by her trainer. Emotional processing may not ahve been her forté. Hell, I'd have given her a pass if she tried to club the knee of a rival gymnast...also known as a Gilooly.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #44
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like The Swedes should have expected to win.

A silver medal isn't a bad result for them I would say.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #45
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am all for the suspensions, even if they are mostly symbolic. And I would expect the same treatment for the Canadian girl.

There is no place for that kind of crap. Part of the reason that we have children participate in sport is to learn values of teamsmanship and fair play. At the international level, it needs to be upheld.

For me, the coaches are the ones that needs to take the most heat. They should have straightened the kids out and led by example. The whole thing was an embarrassment, and if it were the Canadian team that did that, I would hope that the coaches would never participate with TC again.
I agree with this, but there is no way a Canadian team would ever do that. Now if your talking about getting kicked out a of tournament because of a bench clearing brawl, thats more like us.

I remember a case in the 1972 olympics where the US Basketball team did not show up to collect silver medals and have not to this day. Of course that was an egregious example of sports corruption and was fully justified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZuPi4cbyg

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-02-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given that it's specifically provided for in the rulebook, how can they not suspend them? There has to be some consequence to breaking a rule.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #47
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well they broke the rules so I understand the suspension. Making the losing team stay on the ice to get their medals is stupid though. Of course they are going to be upset and not thinking clearly.

They should award silver medals after the semi finals and then the gold medal winners can trade them in.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 05-02-2018 at 06:37 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #48
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Well they broke the rules so I understand the suspension. Making the losing team stay on the ice to get their medals is stupid though. Of course they are going to be upset and not thinking clearly.

They should award silver medals after the semi finals and then the gold medal winners can trade them in.
Ignoring your second point, I agree with you that the losing team should be allowed to shake hands and leave the ice. Just like the Cup. I’ve never understood why they have to stand there and get an anthem sung in their faces.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not have a medal presentation for all three teams at a separate time and place (like so many other medals)?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:37 PM   #50
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Why not have a medal presentation for all three teams at a separate time and place (like so many other medals)?
This is also a better idea than the current system.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #51
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's really only a track & field and olympics thing, which have multiple simultaneous events, so they can't stop the games for those celebrations.

It's also the end of the tournament, and delaying the medal presentation would require everyone to stay longer, which would be impractical and cost extra. Plus it would be hard to get any TV channel to show it.

Last edited by Itse; 05-03-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #52
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like it the way it is.

It would be like awarding the Stanley Cup later on so as to not offend the losing team. If that were the case, we never would have seen Kesler cry.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #53
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I like it the way it is.

It would be like awarding the Stanley Cup later on so as to not offend the losing team. If that were the case, we never would have seen Kesler cry.
The losing team shakes hands and leaves...
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #54
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

They've Andersson's suspension to make it an actual punishment

https://www.bardown.com/the-iihf-alt...sson-1.1076165

Quote:
Andersson won’t play in next year’s WJC, so the suspension wasn’t really relevant – so the IIHF changed it. He will play in this year's tournament but his suspension has been changed to impact him in next year's World Championship.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #55
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

then you have to make 25 extra silver medals!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #56
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #57
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
That's absolutely ridiculous. Nobody should be forced to wear anything, especially after losing a big a game like that.

Suspend the guy for throwing it into the stands, that was dumb, but for not wearing a medal? Give me a break.
I disagree. I want to see emotion on ice during the game. But after the game is over, you have to show respect. Even if you lost and feel totally down. Show some respect to the opponent who beat you, to the fans that cheered for you, to other teams who quit the tourney earlier and were working their asses off so they could be standing there instead of you. Show respect to the organizers who prepared the event and just want to have a proper ending ceremony. Its selfish to act like they did and its good to remind that to those young studs.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:59 AM   #58
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
That's a poor way of looking at it. You have to win multiple times in the tournament, including quarterfinal and semifinal games to even get to that point. You lose one game at the end, but there's a lot of winning along the way, and it still should be celebrated as a significant achievement.

Letting the losing team leaves shows disrespect to the winner. Is it ok in the olympics for the silver medallist in an individual direct-competition sport like wrestling or fencing show up the winner by refusing to stand next to them or display their medal?

In a society where respect for others is in increasingly short supply, should we not reinforce these displays of respect, ESPECIALLY when the outcome is not what we hoped for? What kind of value does it display? Why should we be ok with overly emotional responses that don't show restraint or respect? I have to wonder why this has suddenly become ok.

I'm not picking on Locke specifically here, but excusing this kind of behavior because of "emotions" is bull####. We all have emotions, but we don't get to run around in a disrespectful way just because of emotions. A certain level of decorum is required.

Oh, you know what...I think there's a meme for what you are all advocating for.

I love this post, I think its because our society is becoming more and more results driven in every aspect of life, kids are pushed to strive to be the best no matter what and only winners are celebrated. Showing respect became almost a sign of weakness for some wierd reason. Young swedes taking off silver medal was a simple representation of this mindset.

Last edited by gamesaver; 05-05-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #59
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Even though it makes no sense at all, I think it would create a lot of fun and desperation to have it so the Gold medal game is for Gold and Bronze and the runner up game is for Silver.
You're right, that makes no sense at all. Lol
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote