Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
If you didn't want the silver medal, you shouldn't have competed. In a contest of really talented teams, someone is going to come in second.

I want a player on my team who has the mental discipline to deal with the disappointment of coming in second and is able to use the disappointment to fuel them to win the next thing they are in.

That silver medal represents a lot of hard work, and casting it aside disrespects everyone involved - parents, coaches, hockey associations, the IIHF and the team that just beat you.

I'd like to see players of that stature show class and sportsmanship so that younger players can emulate that and not pouty whiners when they lose.
I think the major issue is that you lose to get Silver.

You have to win to get Gold and Bronze but Silver goes to a loser.

I agree that they shouldnt have been as petulant as they were, but emotions are on a rollercoaster and probably still a little raw at that point.

I kind of agree with Weitz, they should let the losing team leave.

Being forced to stand there as your opponents are being awarded with the Gold medals seems like rubbing it in. Kind of a jerk move.

Sportsmanship, etc, I get it, but this is one of the highest levels of the game and ergo the stakes and emotions are proportionally higher, let the losing team go to the dressing room.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #22
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
That's absolutely ridiculous. Nobody should be forced to wear anything, especially after losing a big a game like that.

Suspend the guy for throwing it into the stands, that was dumb, but for not wearing a medal? Give me a break.
Disagree strongly.

It's a symbolic gesture but a good move, in my opinion. It's classless and you punish classless.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think the major issue is that you lose to get Silver.

You have to win to get Gold and Bronze but Silver goes to a loser.

That's a poor way of looking at it. You have to win multiple times in the tournament, including quarterfinal and semifinal games to even get to that point. You lose one game at the end, but there's a lot of winning along the way, and it still should be celebrated as a significant achievement.

Letting the losing team leaves shows disrespect to the winner. Is it ok in the olympics for the silver medallist in an individual direct-competition sport like wrestling or fencing show up the winner by refusing to stand next to them or display their medal?

In a society where respect for others is in increasingly short supply, should we not reinforce these displays of respect, ESPECIALLY when the outcome is not what we hoped for? What kind of value does it display? Why should we be ok with overly emotional responses that don't show restraint or respect? I have to wonder why this has suddenly become ok.

I'm not picking on Locke specifically here, but excusing this kind of behavior because of "emotions" is bull####. We all have emotions, but we don't get to run around in a disrespectful way just because of emotions. A certain level of decorum is required.

Oh, you know what...I think there's a meme for what you are all advocating for.

Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Swedes should stop finishing 2nd. They should finish 4th so they don't feel so bad.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #25
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I dont mind this. The Swedish players acted like entitled children after the game. Hopefully this curbs future hissy fits. If the Canadian players had acted like that I would have been embarrassed for my country and the sport.
But that's the point. Wasn't the media and fan reaction sufficient sanction to deter players from acting similarly in the future? The players actions were petty. So is the IIHF by suspending players for not wearing their medals.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 05-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #26
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As a Swede myself it was an embarrassing moment and I wish I could apologise to hockey fans all over the world for it.

We lost, suck it up. Get better, win next time.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Dajazz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #28
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The Swedes should stop finishing 2nd. They should finish 4th so they don't feel so bad.
you mean 3rd.
4th is still a loser in the bronze medal game. Getting 3rd, you get to go out with a win.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh a kid made a mistake, it was on a big stage, but still it was a mistake of youth.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #30
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I prefer emotional real players who don't sanitize themselves.

If we want real interviews and real emotion instead of cliché we need to accept when these types of real reactions from young adults happen. Give me this over a typical McBot interview any day.

Yes its unsportsmanlike but it was a real moment in an increasingly manicured sport.
I agree with your underlying statement, but I think there's a difference. It irks me that the NHL tries to sap all the fun and personality out of its players, and the general belief that a good hockey player is stoic and highly reserved.

There should be room for players to express themselves honestly in interviews and emotionally on the ice, to a degree. And I think most of them understand that degree, but this constant chastising of personalities like Subban because he isn't the traditional mold of a hockey player is annoying.

Having an issue with players disrespecting a tournament and the accomplishments of their teammates and other teams can be separated from the authenticity I think you and I want to see more of in the sport.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #31
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Meh a kid made a mistake, it was on a big stage, but still it was a mistake of youth.
Yup mistakes were made, and mistakes often have consequences. Maybe they'll learn that acting like toddlers isn't a reasonable standard in life.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #32
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Yup they acted like cry babies. I don't care if they were emotional, they knew that reaction wasn't appropriate. I know I wasn't raised that way. I would have been embarrassed if my kid acted like that.
I lost provincial finals football to a team in sexsmith Alberta on some highly questionable calls from local refs in the second half. It was like getting kicked in the stomach. I still took the award, I still shook hands. I didn't like it, but I did it, because that's what good sportsmanship is about. I wasn't there representing myself, I was there representing my team, my school and my town. And yea, 20 years later the loss still grinds at me, but I can hold my head high that I at least acted like a young man rather then a tall child.

The coaches should have had stiffer penalties. It's their job to set a better example.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #33
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

One of the Canadian women hockey players also took off her silver medal after losing in the Olympics. I imagine she may be seeing a suspension coming as well.

I get all the emotions that go into winning and losing but that's totally disrespecting and an act of entitlement.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #34
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
One of the Canadian women hockey players also took off her silver medal after losing in the Olympics. I imagine she may be seeing a suspension coming as well.

I get all the emotions that go into winning and losing but that's totally disrespecting and an act of entitlement.
Was thinking of the same incident.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ticle38084937/
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #35
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Yup mistakes were made, and mistakes often have consequences. Maybe they'll learn that acting like toddlers isn't a reasonable standard in life.
I have no issues with consequences.

I just find some of the responses and characterization of these individuals as "toddlers" or "six year olds" or "cry babies" or calling for them not to enter the tournament is you don't want to wear silver.

Perhaps someone can correct me, but I don't recall that any of these individuals would be characterized as "problem children", ie: these actions were out of character for those involved.

Have consequences, but have an understanding and memory of what is was like to be 17,18,19, hell 20. I am sure everyone in this thread has done something when you were in that age that you aren't proud of now.

As I said, youth makes mistakes, it is part of the learning process and growing process.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #36
Flamette
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Even if the sanctions are symbolic, it's important. Particularly when you compare the Swedes to the members of those low seeded teams that fight so hard just to stay in contention in the top tier.
Flamette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #37
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ I think at 17 years of age and younger to be honest you should know what is right and wrong when it comes to losing in sports. Growing up playing sports coaches and parents engrain it into you. Especially at the level of these atheletes. Every single one of them has had their fair share of defeat and know the proper way to deal with it.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #38
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Even though it makes no sense at all, I think it would create a lot of fun and desperation to have it so the Gold medal game is for Gold and Bronze and the runner up game is for Silver.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamette View Post
Even if the sanctions are symbolic, it's important. Particularly when you compare the Swedes to the members of those low seeded teams that fight so hard just to stay in contention in the top tier.
But the problem is that the Swedes have expectations.

Those minnow teams are just happy to be there, but if you're a contending country you want to win.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #40
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswiss View Post
Exactly! Who knows. Maybe half his team mates were extrememely proud of second place. Way to make the team feel like losers even of you werent happy about it.
There are kids on that team for which a silver medal at the WJC will be the greatest accomplishment in their hockey career.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post: