Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #101
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't see how this contrasts with anything I said above.

I generally agree with this, but without knowing in what capacity Gulutzan would be coaching in Edmonton it is impossible to say what sort of impact he may or may not have on the Oilers.

The fact that he continues to find work rather quickly in the NHL I think rather suggests fairly strongly that he is a good assistant coach.

I don't recognize the bolded name, but aside from that I am also unsurprised that you "just don't see" how Gulutzan could be a good assistant coach because—let's be honest—NONE of us sees what assistant coaches are doing most of the time. We have intuitions, but I suspect that these are only occasionally accurate. Like I said, if he continues to find work in the NHL, then he must be doing something well.
Does working for the oilers count as continuing to work in the NHL though?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #102
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that he continues to find work rather quickly in the NHL I think rather suggests fairly strongly that he is a good assistant coach.

We have intuitions, but I suspect that these are only occasionally accurate. Like I said, if he continues to find work in the NHL, then he must be doing something well.
Is this really where we're at now? Gulutzan must be a good coach, because someone keeps paying for him? X decision must be a good one, because an NHL executive agreed to it?

That's the kind of thinking that had Oiler fans excited about acquiring Griffin Reinhart. He must be a great young defender, after all, since they paid the 16th + 33rd overall picks for him.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:30 PM   #103
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Torts said similar things several times during GG’s tenure. It wasn’t (just) because he was on death row.
You know you're doing a poor job when guys who aren't your boss keep telling everyone that you're actually good at your job.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #104
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Is this really where we're at now? Gulutzan must be a good coach, because someone keeps paying for him? X decision must be a good one, because an NHL executive agreed to it?

That's the kind of thinking that had Oiler fans excited about acquiring Griffin Reinhart. He must be a great young defender, after all, since they paid the 16th + 33rd overall picks for him.
It is not even remotely the same, and it does remain to be seen. This is different than "X decision must be a good one, because an NHL executive agreed to it," and more akin now to "X decision seems to be a good one, because several NHL executive continue to repeat it."

But this goes back to what I was insinuating earlier: there are in fact things that Gulutzan does well, and he is in fact still very highly regarded in NHL coaching circles. We may not know precisely why, but I would guess that it is possible he is a good coach within certain contexts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 PM   #105
Cambardi
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My coworker is a die hard Oiler fan who sees no talent on any other organization. Annoying as hell but typical for him. Anyways I said to him...so Gulutzan hey? He crapped all over him when we got him as a coach and now he’s singing his praises. He’s saying that Glen will coach the power play which he’s fantastic for. Is that accurate? Is Glen a PP mastermind? Why didn’t he fix ours then?
Cambardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #106
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't recognize the bolded name,
Sigh.. I need sleep. I had Brent Sutter first in the list, and then remembered Jim Playfair who preceded Sutter... and didn't delete Brent.

At any rate, I think it is safe to say that Iron Mike Hartley has been a superior coach in his tenure with Calgary.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: