Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your reaction to Bill Peters being hired as HC
Hate it 56 6.91%
A little nervous 81 10.00%
Cautiously Optimistic 347 42.84%
Love it 34 4.20%
Taking a wait and see approach 271 33.46%
Don't think it matters 21 2.59%
Voters: 810. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #41
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
A lot more positive/wait and see than I thought it would be based on conversations over the last few days. Appears he won some people over?
I can't speak for others, but I was always in the cautiously optimistic camp. However, it's generally how I approach everything in life. Guarded, but focused on the positives.

The only reason I'm not loving it is because there are clearly some major personnel issues that led to Gulutzan's firing in the first place, and I'm not certain that any coach can fix those. It has little to do with Peters.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #42
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm more optimistic than I was about Gulutzan. I'm expecting playoffs for sure this season even without any player personnel changes

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #43
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think any coaching staff could have underachieved worse than the last one, so I'm happier today than I was a week ago. But my expectations are not just for "better than the last guy." I expect to be able to say our guy out-coached the other guy more often than not, whether that's in preparation, systems, line-matching, or other adjustments.

I'll watch, and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. But it's going to take some results before I can say I'm optimistic.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #44
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the negative over reaction when this was first announced was premature.
Today I thought the people who all of a sudden jumped on board after a good presser was also premature.

Only way to gauge this will be to see how it plays out.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Vote wait and see.

Presser was net result positive. He speaks well, is assertive.
I didn’t expect differently, it was softballs. (Nobody is going to ask him on day 1 , if ever, the hard questions about his lack of accomplishments)

He did go the extra mile to give a dissertation to the radio guys on the roster. I was surprised that he chose to do that, not surprised that he was able to. I’m sure when scouting from opposition perspective, discussing Team Canada rosters, evaluating seriously the opportunity with the Flames , having beers in Kelowna, and working with Tre yesterday, he had lots of time to know the lay of the land.

I specifically liked his comments on a few of the guys. He spoke about certain items that implied recognizing some complaints about Gulutzan’s issues with deployment to strengths etc.

But all that matters is what happens on the ice. Carolina had offense and D/tending that were challenged. The Flames already were also outshooting opponents and crappy on D. So what does he change? We will see.

He is the coach. Can’t change it.

Seems weird that Tre arguably didn’t even consider some proven guys, but he went all in on his guy.

Two years from now we will be happy either way, because either
1) Tre made a good decision and the team is a playoff team and contender , or
2) if it was a mistake, the guy behind the mediocrity is gone

I hope it is number 1

We will wait and see
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #46
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same as before, Cautiously Optimistic. He can talk the talk but can he walk the walk?

I wasn't a huge fan of any of the guys available so I guess I'll trust Treliving. The fact that BT wanted him so bad we didn't have the long drawn out interview process as last time is telling.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #47
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's a whistle talker. Hard to listen to him.

Hopefully he's a better coach for the Flames than an interviewer.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #48
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I saw on the other thread that a poster used the term "All hat, no cattle"

I'm in that camp. #AHNC

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #49
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully, the organization realizes that the blame for this season was not entirely on the coaching staff. There are holes in this roster that need to be filled and the ball is now in Treliving's court to fill them. If they ice essentially the same roster next year, expect similar results.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #50
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The finest hire in franchise history.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #51
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Peter's grew on me with the right words and his intent.

This team however isn't ready in my opinion for another brutally honest coach.

They hated Bob and wanted a softer hand. They got what they wanted and bitched about the system , wouldn't buy in, and tuned Glen out because Glen didn't have a spine .

Bill plans on communication with the players as a key component.

How they respond I guess is up to them but I'd like to see some accountability. Bill has already stated he's giving certain players second chances and that's what has me concerned.

How long does he get? Does the brouwerplay continue ? Yeah I'm still stuck on that like others will be and others will hate but it's a valid concern......I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

If you listened to the presser then you like me must have been impressed at how much Bill knows already.

I liked what he said and just truly hope it translates into earlier success as he indicated it would be nice to settle a playoff spot early and to be playing for home ice advantage rather than scramble for a playoff spot.

He indicated we have a strength in having a good affiliate and players ready to make the jump need to be given an opportunity.

So with that being said I hope players like Bennett and Brodie get second chances as they have a helluva lot more impact onnthis team than Brouwer.

Happy with today for the most part and hope we find out who our assistants will be.

I liked it most when he says he doesn't like coaching guys that are intimidated easily.....so in hope this means these guys will play together with some passion. How many times have we seen Johnny or another player get hit and no one answers the bell?

Hopefully that stops now. I hope the buy in is better with this group of players or certain players need to be shown the door.

Last edited by EVERLAST; 04-23-2018 at 05:18 PM.
EVERLAST is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #52
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted hate it. I’d be happy to be wrong.

Assistant coaches will have a big part to play; if we can get the power play converting at any reasonable level, maybe things look better.

My issue is not really with Peters, it’s the process. I’m pretty sure that any of the other more nhl proven choices could have wowed during extended pressers too. The hockey Canada thing? Coaches in the playoffs don’t get involved with the world championships.

Why do the Flames always aim for the middle?

I’m definitely underwhelmed.

About the only good thing is the conviction that BT must have in the hire. Some guy that he worked with once a few years ago? I bet that we all know people like that. So good on BT if he has found gold, but I’m definitely underwhelmed today. I hope that I’m wrong.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #53
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was not impressed before the news conference but after listening to Peters there and on 2 other interviews today I'm impressed. Guy seems to have done his homework and has a plan already. I'm optimistic now.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Loved his comments about player utilization, quick pace of play, not being intimidated, young guys being put in a position to succeed. Was impressed by his knowledge of the group.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #55
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

every coach sounds great when they get hired
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll let you know after we find out who the PP coach is. Cameron was one of the most baffling hirings ever and I worry we'll do the same sort of thing.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #57
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hated it when the rumor came out weeks ago. Hated it this morning and hate it now.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I have my doubts. There's a reason why this team is perpetually awful.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #58
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I voted the wait and see approach.
He said a lot of the right things, which all freshly hired coaches do. A coaches first job once he’s hired, us to make a good first impression on the media/fans and that he did, however anyone can BS and say the right things.

I don’t look into his poor track record in the NHL as deeply as some others as he was the coach of a very young, rebuilding team in a very tough division.

Some of the positives I heard from him
- he wants to build a good relationship with his players
- he stated that he was aware of Brodie’s success on the right side
- wants a fast, aggressive puck retrieval so that they can get in the offence and let the players offensive abilities shine
- he’s very excited to have a pair of Gaudreau and Monahans caliber
- he now has a player in Tkachuk that is one of a kind besides Marchand
- very confident in his new D corps

He sounds very excited about this group and their potential which he believes underachieved, big time ( I strongly agree )

The one thing that stuck out as a negative to me was his intention of giving Brouwer every opportunity to get back to his level, which worries me that he will be given more first line/ first PP minutes

None the less, I am excited for a new look, and anew voice behind the bench. I believe he will be able to get more out of his players and with a fresh voice and someone who demands results, the players will be more willing to go to war.
But I will not get to excited, and will wait and see
Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #59
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching the presser and I will say Peters talks a good game. Wants D jumping in on offense, demanding a good effort beginning in training camp, wants the team to be hard to play against, high expectations, strong possession. All things you want to hear. Even mentioned Brodie having previous success on the right side. Liking this hiring a hell of a lot more than I did a day ago. Get some assistants that have good PP/PK success and I’m feeling pretty optimistic for next season.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #60
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Like what I heard in the presser from Peters. That said i'm taking a wait and see approach until I see who he brings in as his assistants.