Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #501
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Manitoba First Nation (Waywayseecappo) is honoring the Humboldt Broncos community with beautiful traditional star blankets that were *sewn with love*.

Quote:
A Manitoba First Nation is honoring the grieving Humboldt Broncos community with traditional star blankets.

The chief of Waywayseecappo, about 320 km northwest of Winnipeg, says the two rural communities share a hockey connection through their respective junior teams.

“Our goalie on the Waywayseecappo Wolverines is the brother to Xavier Labelle,” said Murray Clearsky.

“And our coach used to coach four of their players. So we kind of have close ties with them.”

Clearsky says his band council ordered a blanket for each family affected by the April 6 bus crash that claimed 16 lives.

Labelle was injured but survived.

The Winnipeg woman who made 13 of the blankets says they were “sewn with love.”

“I had also lost a son so I knew what they were feeling,” said Crystal Demerais from her home-based business called Kings and Queens for the sizes of blankets she sews.

“I feel like it’s very healing to work on a star blanket and be able to gift it.”

Clearsky says the blankets in the team’s green, black and yellow colours are “a sign of respect” and used “in our Cree tradition when someone passes on to cover them. Years ago, they used to wrap (the deceased) in blankets. Now they bury the body with the blanket.”

He plans to deliver the blankets to Saskatchewan in person. Along with a gift of about $2,000 collected from his 2,800 community members.

“We are very saddened with what happened with the team. We felt that we had to do something,” he said in a telephone interview.

http://aptnnews.ca/2018/05/08/star-b...ewn-with-love/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #502
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

A woman here also made a photo quilt of all the victims and sent it to the Broncos.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #503
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@arielle_zeer:
The Humboldt Broncos are about to discuss how the funds raised through their GoFundMe will be distributed.

The Broncos GoFundMe campaign raised an incredible $15,174,900.

GoFundMe does charge fees, so the total amount that will be allocated is 14,676,373.94.

Saskatchewan is unique in that we have legislation around crowdfunding that requires a court-supervised process to distribute money raised.

Broncos President and Humboldt Broncos Memorial Fund director says the fund has started the process according to the legislation. https://t.co/TNxrD09j4m

Scott Thomas, father of Evan Thomas, says the Broncos have supported them unconditionally through the process. All the families are in constant contact and they feel the Broncos have treated them fairly and they know the funds will come to them. https://t.co/8ntKH3RZi0

Thomas says the families support the process. They're all in a group chat together and he says GoFundMe is not coming up between them. They trust the Broncos to take care of them.

Good Bill Chow is a ####ing scumbag... Hope he gets canned as the SJHL commissioner next...

Garinger says SJHL board has voted unanimously to ensure the Broncos are given the #HumboldtStrong trademark.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #504
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know if it was publicized but the coach of the bronco's 2 sons and wife were at the Vegas game last night. Spent time with the team and in the dressing room with Fleury. Really nice to see.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #505
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

GoFundMe walks away with a cool ~$498K in fees for this?

Holy crap....I am in the wrong line of work.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #506
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Many years ago I thought of the same idea. I never thought that people would just give money for any ol' reason though.

I was wrong.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #507
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm sure their profit margin is healthy, but the logistics of managing all those donations are probably substantial.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #508
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I'd say they walk away with 1/3 to 1/2 of that. Credit card companies walk away with the majority of that $500k in processing fees.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #509
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I thought the same thing at first. That's about 3.3%, and you also have to keep in mind that most payments are with credit card. Depending on the card used; if it's a points card they would be charged around 2%.

Then consider all the startup money that had to go into infrastructure; otherwise this would not have happened. It wasn't that long ago where we'd hear on the news "go into your local branch of X bank to make a contribution." After all that- I'm Ok with the amount they made on this.

On a side note- the shirts I ordered from Spotlight came in this week. Took them about a month from the time of my order, in case anybody else is waiting.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #510
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The difference in the numbers is around 3%, that's their standard processing fee + 30cents/transaction charge. There's a lot of other revenue that GoFundMe gets from campaigns that you wouldn't see in these numbers. When you're making a donation, it defaults to 15% "tip" that you give to GoFundMe and have to explicitly change that. Most people don't even notice it and just pay 15% to GoFundMe.

They used to charge a 5% flat platform fee to the campaign but were criticized for profiting on tragedy, so they removed the 5% flat fee and instituted a suggested 15% tip by default on the payment page. This shut down the criticism and brought in even more revenue because people don't read these days and clearly don't look at their credit card bills. A $100 donation by default is charged $115 after tip on your credit card.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:16 PM   #511
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the flipside, if Gofundme or a similar platform didn't exist those tragedies would probably have made a fraction in donations.

They provide a valuable service, and collect a reasonable fee.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #512
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That's also a bargain compared to what large charities keep in management fees as well.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #513
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I prefer when police complete an investigation prior to determining who is guilty.
How long should it take? It's now 65 days. Either we have the dumbest investigators on the planet or someone wants this tragedy to go away and to be forgotten.

It's looking more and more like the only people who'll pay for this are the people on the bus
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #514
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
How long should it take? It's now 65 days. Either we have the dumbest investigators on the planet or someone wants this tragedy to go away and to be forgotten.

It's looking more and more like the only people who'll pay for this are the people on the bus
Why so vengeful? The driver of the truck is going to have to live with this for the rest of his life. That IS paying for it. What good would jail time do him anyways?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:34 AM   #515
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Why so vengeful? The driver of the truck is going to have to live with this for the rest of his life. That IS paying for it. What good would jail time do him anyways?
I didn't say anything about jail?, accountability and changes in training with who should be driving these big trucks is all I'm asking for.

After 2+ months all we have is crickets
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 AM   #516
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't say anything about jail?, accountability and changes in training with who should be driving these big trucks is all I'm asking for.

Sorry, didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but that's all I could infer when I saw "the only people who will pay for this" and an angry face after it.

Additionally, traffic reconstruction on an accident like this can take a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear anything for a while.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #517
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know a someone working this and it is an active investigation that the RCMP are taking it seriously. They want to know exactly what happened and like neb said, it takes time to reconstruct.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #518
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

http://www.cjme.com/2018/06/04/no-in...us-crash-rcmp/

This is the latest article that I've read about the accident. I guess there were rumors that the semi driver fled the country. RCMP deny those rumors.

"RCMP did address a rumour on social media suggesting the truck driver — who isn’t facing any charges at this point— had fled the country. A spokesperson said the driver is still in Canada, and is maintaining contact with investigators."

"The family member said they were told by officers the investigation would be completed by early June, at which point another police agency would review the evidence to compare conclusions."
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #519
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

A person has been arrested and charges laid in connection with the accident; no other information as of yet but a news conference has been scheduled: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rash-1.4736826
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #520
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this mean they have put together enough evidence to support that he was under the influence of alcohol/drugs or simply negligence?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote