Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #41
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I wonder if all these people who are up in arms (and rightfully so) about Voynov were this upset amount Money Mayweather being allowed to compete and the fact that he is still celebrated in popular culture.
Speaking for myself - yes
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #42
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
This is an interesting point. Is hitting your spouse considered worse than impaired driving resulting in death?

And please do not give me the excuse of 'it was an accident!', tell that to the Vanderhorst Family. If you are going to use that excuse I will tell you Voynov was drunk when he hit his wife, it was just an accident, is it better now?

A conscious decision was made in both cases, Heatley was allowed to return.

I personally hope he never plays a game in the NHL again.
One results in a black and blue eye. The other results in being 6 feet under for eternity. I'll let people make their own choice but death seems kinda worse.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
One results in a black and blue eye. The other results in being 6 feet under for eternity. I'll let people make their own choice but death seems kinda worse.
I agree but both are pretty terrible.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #44
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I can only speak for myself, but no, I have never thrown anyone into a television set. because this is the real world and not ####ing Roadhouse.

I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about what a black mark it would be on any NHL team that actually allowed him to play for them. I get the argument that they're in the business of winning and Voynov might be good enough to help (though who knows anymore) but from a marketing perspective it's just a horrible decision.

So off to the Oilers he goes.
I'd take him on the Oilers. We already have Kassian, so whats one more ####head?

No one made a big deal about Patrick Roy becoming the coach of the Avalanche, and he was arrested for domestic assault.

If Patrick Kane requested a trade to the Flames tomorrow would you guys be outraged because he assaulted a cab driver?

I don't condone the behaviour, but they are paid to be hockey players, and even if they are otherwise screwups, where do you draw the ethical line?

Domestic violence would be a decent place to start mind you.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #45
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I'd take him on the Oilers.
Imagine our shock!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #46
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So is Voynov branded for life?
What if he went through counselling?
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #47
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
So is Voynov branded for life?
What if he went through counselling?
I was thinking this as well. I'm always a little hesitant to trash people who may have turned things around.

But the problem with Voynov is that he didn't really take any accountability for his actions. I haven't heard anything about him try to make good either.

The Flames have a propensity for acquiring good people. I doubt they go for Voynov. But if they do, I bet they will have done their homework.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #48
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Imagine our shock!
Ah whatever.

Lots of Flames fans changed their mind about Bertuzzi after he joined the Flames and a lot probably would if the Flames acquired Voynov.

I don't view these guys as hockey playing paragons of virtue. They are just a cross section of humans that are good at hockey, and some of them are going to be idiots off the ice.

I just worry about hat they do on the ice. Not my job to be their judge, jury and executioner.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 12:29 AM   #49
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Ah whatever.
lol, I don't think the sarcastic shock was at you forgiving his character or transgressions. It was 'no duh' the Oilers would take a capable top four defender with that tire fire that is your blue-line.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #50
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post

What voynov did was wrong and he should face justice for what he did, I can't see any reason to let him back into North America (unless it's to serve time) let alone into the NHL.
Voynov did face justice, he did 3 months in jail and another 2 or 3 weeks in a detention center awaiting a deportation hearing and i think 2 more years of probation. You can argue the light sentence but he did pay for beating up his wife.

Where he may have a problem is while awaiting the deportation hearing he decided to give up and return to Russia to save everyone time. I would think he would have to go in front of an immigration judge from the old conviction again in order to stay in the states, I personally think he'll need the NHL to back him or it'll never happen.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote