Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #241
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Maybe Jags really wants the games played record and therefore wants to avoid surgery which would kill that chance. Flames want him to be 100% and don't care about the record but Jags wants to play through it cause the most important thing to him is the record?
Or the Flames care about the record and how(e) the current holder earned and deserves to keep it.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #242
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
The Flames had to know how slow he was when they signed him. There's nothing surprising about his lack of foot speed to anyone.

I think they're more surprised how little he's been playing due to injuries. He's just really unreliable, I kind of forget he's even part of the organization at times.

I hope they can make it work, but it doesn't sound good. I think he's a positive influence especially with the younger guys.
I would agree and would even say that the organization may have been surprised by the level of the youngsters coming up. With Janko and Hathaway performing, I suspect it gave them further confidence in regards to the high performers in Stockton. That likely made it easier to have confidence in plugging Mangiapane in and waiving FHamilton.

And with Jagr's recurring injury situation, it looks bad to automatically plug him into the line-up when healthy and drop a well-performing youngster.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #243
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jagr please teach the PP
Jagr is slow yes but i would not be surprised to learn that he has had a positive effect on the team
Old 01-09-2018, 02:17 AM   #244
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

My honest to God take is that since Hathaway has come up and played so well there's not really any room for Jagr anymore.

I think young guys (specifically Hathaway) came up and took Jagr's spot. It's easier to get rid of Jagr than Brouwer. Everything I've read and heard strongly implies it's the Flames who are pushing Jagr out, not Jagr leaving. That guy from Montreal is the only person suggesting Jagr is quitting the team but I don't buy it.

It's disappointing, but we really only had a few more months of Jagr anyways.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:17 AM   #245
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames don't have as much depth on forward as they do on defense and goal. I don't see why Jagr couldn't be a contributor for us down the stretch if he gets back to the level he showed earlier in the season.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #246
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
My honest to God take is that since Hathaway has come up and played so well there's not really any room for Jagr anymore.

I think young guys (specifically Hathaway) came up and took Jagr's spot. It's easier to get rid of Jagr than Brouwer. Everything I've read and heard strongly implies it's the Flames who are pushing Jagr out, not Jagr leaving. That guy from Montreal is the only person suggesting Jagr is quitting the team but I don't buy it.

Pretty much my take as well. Jagr was a placeholder for our young guys and because they didn't look ready for NHL duty in the preseason, we acquired Jagr instead. Now that all the young guys are performing, the team has decided that they'd rather have the open spot for an everyday player rather than an often injured Jagr. It's unfortunate, but this is going to be a sprint to the end and we need to field the best lineup possible.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #247
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Pretty much my take as well. Jagr was a placeholder for our young guys and because they didn't look ready for NHL duty in the preseason, we acquired Jagr instead. Now that all the young guys are performing, the team has decided that they'd rather have the open spot for an everyday player rather than an often injured Jagr. It's unfortunate, but this is going to be a sprint to the end and we need to field the best lineup possible.
My guess and or take, Flames tried to add more offense to the forward ranks in the off season.

Provided to be unsuccessful, they went through training camp and highlighted a need.

They felt it was worth the risk to sign Jagr....

I am sure they were hoping he could produce offense.....

Problem is his health and foot speed.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #248
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I would agree and would even say that the organization may have been surprised by the level of the youngsters coming up. With Janko and Hathaway performing, I suspect it gave them further confidence in regards to the high performers in Stockton. That likely made it easier to have confidence in plugging Mangiapane in and waiving FHamilton.

And with Jagr's recurring injury situation, it looks bad to automatically plug him into the line-up when healthy and drop a well-performing youngster.
I agree with this. I remember the whole reason for waiting so long to sign him in the first place was to see if any of the youngsters stood out. That didn't happen initially so B.T. pulled the trigger on Jags. It is no secret though that our GM would have preferred to fill holes internally before signing the G.O.A.T, now he has that option with the strong play of our youngsters.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insane_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #249
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I understand the situation in some regards but what I fail to understand is why the difference in treatment between injured vets and a few other things?

From what the reports are suggesting is that Jagr want's to continue his NHL career and his financial and potential personal accolades would show that. If he plays a bunch of more games he could earn as much as $650k US, not a lot of money for a player who's probably grossed over $120 million in NHL earnings. I don't see him NOT wanting to collect that money if he has the potential to do it.

His NHL games played record would obviously be health dependant but what is being reported is that he wants to try and potentially rehab it while the Flames are pretty much done with him at this point. Is the same treatment being leveled at Versteeg if he has the potential to come back? He is out long-term and MAY be able to come back March or April but there is no talk about cutting ties with him or relegating him to press box duty officially once he comes back.

This is a strange situation in a lot of ways and I can't really figure out why. Lot's of players lose their spot due to caliber of play or injury etc, players get bought out of bad contracts if they are healthy on a regular basis. I just can't recall a situation where a very talented veteran is brought in and the team has cut them half way through. I recall Brett Hull signed with the Coyotes in 05-06 after the lockout but had to quit a handful of games in because he couldn't play at that level, at all. Jagr may not be the same player as last year for a lot of reasons but outside of speed it's not like he has ZERO business being on this team? I just don't like the optics of this at all.
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #250
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think thenpoor training camp had by pretty much every prospect outside Janko, Dube, Valimaki forced Treliving to take a look at Jagr.

Jagr then was unable to really hold up to his end of the bargain getting injured and looking really slow out there.

Guys on the farm team produced and earned their way back up. The Flames were not happy with how the team was performing and did the “shakeup”. Freddie gets shipped out and now Jagr while Hathaway has solidified his spot on the team.

What I hoped was Jagr would be shut down for the season and make his return during the playoffs but doesn’t look to be in the cards. Glad they signed him, too bad it didn’t work out b
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #251
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I understand the situation in some regards but what I fail to understand is why the difference in treatment between injured vets and a few other things?

From what the reports are suggesting is that Jagr want's to continue his NHL career and his financial and potential personal accolades would show that. If he plays a bunch of more games he could earn as much as $650k US, not a lot of money for a player who's probably grossed over $120 million in NHL earnings. I don't see him NOT wanting to collect that money if he has the potential to do it.

His NHL games played record would obviously be health dependant but what is being reported is that he wants to try and potentially rehab it while the Flames are pretty much done with him at this point. Is the same treatment being leveled at Versteeg if he has the potential to come back? He is out long-term and MAY be able to come back March or April but there is no talk about cutting ties with him or relegating him to press box duty officially once he comes back.

This is a strange situation in a lot of ways and I can't really figure out why. Lot's of players lose their spot due to caliber of play or injury etc, players get bought out of bad contracts if they are healthy on a regular basis. I just can't recall a situation where a very talented veteran is brought in and the team has cut them half way through. I recall Brett Hull signed with the Coyotes in 05-06 after the lockout but had to quit a handful of games in because he couldn't play at that level, at all. Jagr may not be the same player as last year for a lot of reasons but outside of speed it's not like he has ZERO business being on this team? I just don't like the optics of this at all.
So where do you play him?
The 3M line is the primary defensive unit so you can't put him with them.
The third line has been one of the drivers of recent success - and Hathaway has quite frankly been better than Jagr (there's a statement I never thought I would make).
You aren't putting him on the top line.
So the 4th line is the only spot for him.
I can see an argument being made that he could help the PP which has sucked anyways. So is a 4th line role + PP time enough?

I love the guy but it hasn't worked, and the team has been better with him not in the line up of late.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #252
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Yes, and he has been obviously fighting a groin injury. Let’s not compare where you put injured Jagr with where you put a rehabbed Jagr.

The third line is where I believe he helped Bennett and Janko find their game. They were the best looking line when Monny and Johnny went on some kind of hockey vacation. With Jagr injured, you put Hathaway there.

With a healthy Jagr, as long as there is room for Lazar, there is room for Jagr to replace Lazar. (And add PP time) Lazar is awful.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #253
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I agree with this. I remember the whole reason for waiting so long to sign him in the first place was to see if any of the youngsters stood out. That didn't happen initially so B.T. pulled the trigger on Jags. It is no secret though that our GM would have preferred to fill holes internally before signing the G.O.A.T, now he has that option with the strong play of our youngsters.
I thought I saw it reported that the Flames told Jagr in July that he was in their plans, but the offer never materialized until October.

If true, on one hand, I get the optics of telling the young kids there is room. Still, if so, this is BT wizardry on par with the management of the 3 goalie situation.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #254
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Agree with everything you're saying.. But I still think (and i'm sure others agree and may have stated already) that Jagr still has a place on this team.

In his press conference he pleaded to be given time to get up to speed and he would do everything he could to help this team win.

The fanbase and organization welcomed him, gave him the time to get as close to game speed as he could and then he got injured and the team had to look for help else where and found it in Hathaway.

Now, Jagr can still help this team. He can be at practices helping guys develop their puck protection skills, patience with the puck and how to be a pro and have the desire to compete and win. Also, what happens if the team gets hit by the injury bug and Jagr has had a chance to heal and still practice with the team? Perhaps he could get a game in here and there.

I don't think the Flames should be pushing Jagr out the door, nor do I think Jagr should be taking his ball and going home because the Flames cant find a full time roster spot at this moment.

Both parties should see this through, it could be a perfect storm, or it could be exactly what it is.. But I dont think anyone should be walking away.

(this is all assuming Jagr isnt looking for a full time roster spot on another team) but in that, I think the Flames should hold onto him for his experience and help with player development.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #255
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trade deadline is on Feb 26, just 7 weeks away. It would be wise to keep Jagr on the IR and let him heal until then and have him back after the deadline where there are no roster restriction. Just another wild card in the pocket.
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #256
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they should hire him as the offensive co-ordinator
Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #257
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
So where do you play him?
The 3M line is the primary defensive unit so you can't put him with them.
The third line has been one of the drivers of recent success - and Hathaway has quite frankly been better than Jagr (there's a statement I never thought I would make).
You aren't putting him on the top line.
So the 4th line is the only spot for him.
I can see an argument being made that he could help the PP which has sucked anyways. So is a 4th line role + PP time enough?

I love the guy but it hasn't worked, and the team has been better with him not in the line up of late.
Totally agree,

Best case Jagr is a 4th liner, personally I would rather see a rookie in this role (Mangiapane)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #258
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Totally agree,

Best case Jagr is a 4th liner, personally I would rather see a rookie in this role (Mangiapane)
Why can't you have both?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway
Mangiapane-Stajan-Jagr
Brouwer/Lazar

The only answer that makes sense is not wanting to scratch Brouwer.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #259
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coach of Czech National team called Jagr yesterday to check the possibility of OG for Jags...Jagr said that he still has a contract with CF and that he is not healthy....chance for OG almost 0...@CruisingRay @cgytradecentral @68isgr8
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:59 PM   #260
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dreger on TSN:

Quote:
Is Jagr done in Calgary?
It was starting to feel like Jaromir Jagr’s departure from the Calgary Flames was imminent, but not so fast?

Darren Dreger: Not so fast. Most believe that he is done in Calgary, but his injury is still significant and there’s a collection of them. He’s being treated in Calgary but he first wants to get healthy and then determine what his playing future is. Now, Calgary can try and trade him but it doesn’t sound like there’s much of a market out there. Perhaps he returns to Europe, but he first wants to get healthy before there is any decision that's being finalized and that might take some time.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: