Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the Flames fire Gulutzan
Yes 464 64.90%
No 251 35.10%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #61
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think the problem is much deeper than the coaching. Maybe a different coach could squeeze a little extra out of them, but I think this roster is over-rated here.

So, I don't know how to answer the poll question.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #62
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, and bring Darryl Sutter back. This roster should be kicking ass of most teams instead of teetering on the verge of making playoffs.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #63
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted no. Aside from the Habs game the team had been looking good lately and I'm willing to wait until the All Star break. If the Flames can go something like 8-4-1 and get into a playoff spot they can stay the course, but if they are still hovering around .500 then it is time for a change.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #64
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Under GG the Flames have been playing such a stiff systems play that I feel like is stifling any sort of creativity. That's how you win corsi battles but lose games (or narrowly win). I've been pretty open minded about GG turning things around but now I'm pretty convinced that the Flames need a new head coach.
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Point Blank For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #65
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I agree with previous poster. I believe many have this team overated for what is really is. Middle of the road team at best maybe squeaking into the playoffs if we are luck is a realistic expecation of the team. Saying that some of GG line combos and line matches have me scratching my head. Unfortunately a new coach may win a couple more games but is not the real problem.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #66
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I agree with previous poster. I believe many have this team overated for what is really is. Middle of the road team at best maybe squeaking into the playoffs if we are luck is a realistic expecation of the team. Saying that some of GG line combos and line matches have me scratching my head. Unfortunately a new coach may win a couple more games but is not the real problem.
I think there are plenty of examples of teams that could be anything they want to be. 2004 Flames? 2017 Vegas? I could give you an example from any year, but I won't waste my breath.
Seems more like a motivation issue than an on-paper issue to me. That's why I'm so tired of GG. He hasn't even squeezed the juice out of this orange, let alone the pulp.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #67
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we should give him the season if we make the playoffs comfortably and look good in them I think he earns another season. I don't see good options available to replace him with right now and don't think the current assistants are an upgrade. I don't want to go to Sutter yet so don't really like the current options available.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #68
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a very reluctant yes from me. Despite agreeing with the type of game Gulutzan and Co. want to implement, I'm just not seeing enough progress to keep defending the massive swings up and down. This team is good enough to be near the top of the division, and it's been a struggle just to maintain a playoff spot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #69
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Then perhaps we have an overrated gm. There is something to be said about patience. Where might the flames be had they stayed the rebuilding course and not signed Brouwer, not traded all those picks for Hamilton, not traded all those picks hamonic.

Slowly building organically. Look how good the jets look these days thru organic development and growth.

Sometimes it sure feels like our management do things like an ea nhl game franchise mode. Making the sexy name trades, picking up guys like Brouwer, Bartkowski, Grossman (ie. Judging the overall rating of the left overs).

I'd be sorta ok having this team be a bubble team again thus year while seeing guys like Jankowski, Bennett, Andersson, Kulak, Rittich/Gillies, etc, grow into regular nhlers.

However, with the Hamilton move its second round or bust for this franchise. They barely look good enough to be a playoff team in a pretty average Pacific/western conference.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #70
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could we not have waited until after Christmas for this poll?
Old 12-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #71
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
We did. That was 364 days ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 07:29 PM   #72
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Why? It'll be open for a long time. People can add their vote in two days, a week, two weeks. What would prolonging it do?

I mean it's only been open a few hours and 215 people have voted. It's not like there's tumbleweeds.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #73
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, it’s Christmas you Filthy Animals!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #74
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
There is obviously a very vocal and loud pro gg minority around here.
Those loud and very vocal members your referring too are well respected and have a right to an opinion. We don't always agree all of us on the forum and some are more patient than others but those guys tend to have very good opinions.

To answer the OP I would rather see GG stay if better assistants could be brought in. If that can't happen I would rather see a new coach take the helm.
BT brought in a players coach but maybe they need a couch who expects them to show up in their work boots and hard hats!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #75
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Those loud and very vocal members your referring too are well respected and have a right to an opinion. We don't always agree all of us on the forum and some are more patient than others but those guys tend to have very good opinions.

To answer the OP I would rather see GG stay if better assistants could be brought in. If that can't happen I would rather see a new coach take the helm.
BT brought in a players coach but maybe they need a couch who expects them to show up in their work boots and hard hats!
I'm actually the opposite, I think Glen would be a fantastic assistant coach who compliments a task master. I think that's what allowed him to rise to head coach to which he now looks in over his head and unable to elevate a young team.

He should be the smart, good cop assistant who comes up with a lot of the strategy. Some works really well, and when something is too complicated or doesn't allow skilled players to excel the head coach steps in and calls it as it is and they move on as a coaching team.

Right now (admittedly with no insider knowledge) it appears as though Glen's two biggest faults are an inability to get full respect and commitment from a young team and rigid support of his own systems when they are exposed by opposing teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 07:52 PM   #76
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lean towards yes to salvage a season before it gets too far away from the roster that doesn’t have that extra gear in games like last night. The assembled players are good enough, though the loss of Versteeg is a bigger hole then it should be, and Monahan being hurt hadn’t helped these last weeks. When things seems to be lacking in the game and play is average or a bad break against, it takes too long for the team to respond and pull themselves out of their funk. It’s a confidence thing, and it’s also a button pushing thing for the coach to challenge the players properly.

But, I am going to assume Tippet and staff would be the most likely replacement for Treliving. Of course Sutter would be magic, and could ride off in the sun set after s couple seasons more here in Calgary. Tippets teams though notoriously dull, get the job done with less talent but he, like Sutter, pushes the buttons that need pushing. All Hartley did was push buttons but that has a lifespan which he over did and wore out.

Question is, would Tippet, or Sutter’s system, be picked up quick enough in January without losing more ground while adapting?

So timing is an issue. This sooner than later if it’s going to be done...don’t let GG lose again to the Oilers at the end of January, it has to be done before that or may as well wait for the season to end...

And he’s not getting new assistants. Or are they firing an assistant. Those guys come as a package in this day and age and it’s a coaching group that sinks or swims, as much as fans want to assign blame (which is valid), the coach is ultimately responsible for his assistants and what goes through them. Gerarrd followed him from Dallas, just like Cloutier and Hartley and as Preston was in SJ before and LA after for Sutter.

Last edited by browna; 12-24-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:53 PM   #77
jayswin

Exp:

DazzlinDino, your opinions have been well thought out and respectful, you're great to debate with even if you're on the other side.

I know you were responding to another poster, but my personal frustration with some of the Gulutzan supporters is that they were quite condescending and dismissive of criticism towards Glen, yet now that they have started turning they're pointing out the same flaws that a lot of us have pointed out for a long time.

I guess the feel of their posts is basically "When you idiots were saying it you were being negative and needlessly critical, but now that us level headed posters are starting to turn there's actually some merit because we're patient and level headed".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #78
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Question is, would Tippet, or Sutter’s system, be picked up quick enough in January without losing more ground while adapting?

So timing is an issue. This sooner than later if it’s going to be done...don’t let GG lose again to the Oilers at the end of January, it has to be done before that or may as well wait for the season to end...
Sutter and Tippett have been around the block. I think either one comes in and knows exactly how desperate the season is and caters to that with a simplified system meant to be easy and get immediate results, with discipline and hard work being the main ingredients until next training camp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #79
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
No, it’s Christmas you Filthy Animals!
Was that the players response when asked if they were going to show up Friday night?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #80
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't agree with the saying that this team is over rated in here, this team might not be number 1 in the league good, it is certainly not current position bad. Our first to third lines are just as good as any team in the league, we just have a very bad 4th line.

Just look at Vegas, that's an expansion team and it's currently number 1 in the Western Conference and tell me it's not coaching.