Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #5501
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
To illustrate how bad Bennetts production offensively has been this season...Pacioretty is clippin along about 66% of his normal output and is still squashing Sam's numbers at this point.
Ok. Bennett had a 15 game 0 point streak to start the season. He finally got a consistent line mate with whom he could develop chemistry. When Jankowski found his game at the NHL level and Bennett with him, he then turned a corner. The guy has had a few games without points recently but has made an impact. And through Nov/December had 12 points in 11 games I recall.

Bennett is 21, Pacioretty is 29, which is when many players start to decline. (Some faster than others)

I’d rather look at how Bennett is playing now than penalize him for the start of the season, which I don’t think is reflective of him now.

In fact I would say, (not that anyone is proposing this trade,) that I would not trade Bennett for Pacioretty straight up.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #5502
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good news is I don’t see the Flames moving Bennett at all. I think management loves his style and they will continue to offer be patient with him. There is no way they move him for a 29 year old hot/cold goal scorer thst is going to cost $6M+ to retain for his 30’s.

Could Pacioretty play right wing?

Let’s say the Flames are able to move prospects and not impact their top 9 in a deal for Patches. This is how I would roll the lines.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Pacioretty-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Tkachuk
Mangipane-Lazar-Hathaway
Brouwer

Stajan waived

The top 9 would be pretty deadly but considering the Habs lilely want 1st+Dube+Kylington

Not worth it for a second line forward.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #5503
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree I wouldn't trade Bennett for Patches. However I do think Bennett continues to get over rated in here. Yes he looks better the last couple months, but the fact is... he is still only on pace for 30 points. At this point I cant realistically say Bennett is going to be the offensive catalyst we hoped for until he proves it. The silver lining is he is still young, and brings more than just offense to his game. Hopefully he can find consistency and push past the 40 point mark.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #5504
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Ok. Bennett had a 15 game 0 point streak to start the season. He finally got a consistent line mate with whom he could develop chemistry. When Jankowski found his game at the NHL level and Bennett with him, he then turned a corner. The guy has had a few games without points recently but has made an impact. And through Nov/December had 12 points in 11 games I recall.

Bennett is 21, Pacioretty is 29, which is when many players start to decline. (Some faster than others)

I’d rather look at how Bennett is playing now than penalize him for the start of the season, which I don’t think is reflective of him now.

In fact I would say, (not that anyone is proposing this trade,) that I would not trade Bennett for Pacioretty straight up.
Nah man, you don't get it. Bennett is like, super serious bad. We need to trade him for a 7th while we can.

Ditto with Jankowski. That guy is 2 years older than Bennett, and has only played 35 NHL games.

We're still idiots for not trading Ferland 2 years ago after that playoff run, because jeepers - even if we show him patience, and invest time into properly developing him, he's never going to become a guy to be on pace to score 30+ goals in a season.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #5505
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I agree I wouldn't trade Bennett for Patches. However I do think Bennett continues to get over rated in here. Yes he looks better the last couple months, but the fact is... he is still only on pace for 30 points. At this point I cant realistically say Bennett is going to be the offensive catalyst we hoped for until he proves it. The silver lining is he is still young, and brings more than just offense to his game. Hopefully he can find consistency and push past the 40 point mark.
Bennett is on a 50pt pace since being shifted to the wing. He was forced to play centre last year and struggled to score the same occurred this year. He still may be a centre down the line but for now he is better suited to the wing.

He and Jankowski have been dominant at times and I feel Bennett better utilizes his physical game playing the wing. He shows flashes that lead me to believe the Flames would greatly regret trading him if they did.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #5506
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
he's at a 50pts pace shortly (prorated over 82 games) since being moved to the wing....

that's while playing 3rd line mins and limited PP.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #5507
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grain of salt because Habs fans are 90% NaCl, but Max Pac has turned into a pretty massive floater the last 2 seasons or so I've heard around the water cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #5508
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think paccorietty is a decent player, similar to kessel in that he's more of a secondary guy on a powerhouse team.

My issue is that the flames aren't a powerhouse team today which is able to give up the assets it would take to make a deal...
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #5509
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: Pacioretty. The cost would be too high, so I don't want the Flames to go after him but if they're looking for goal scoring I don't know why he wouldn't be on their list. His past 3 seasons he's put in almost 100 goals.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #5510
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacioretty looks like he's losing his foot speed. He certainly looks slower this year than in years past.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #5511
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Grain of salt because Habs fans are 90% NaCl, but Max Pac has turned into a pretty massive floater the last 2 seasons or so I've heard around the water cooler.
Hahaha, this is a thing now? I like it!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #5512
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Reading that “most depressing Canadian team” piece on SN they had several quotes from Pacioretty thst didn’t paint him as a good leader so he is definitely on the way out.

Flames do not have the offensive young player that the Habs will want. At least not a player they would be willing to give up.

If the Habs want Brouwer, Poirier, Kylington then we have a deal. That offer is brutal though
Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #5513
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

my struggle with all this is 'at what cost?'

the Flames have a solid core of players who are finding their way.

the Flames have a couple bad contracts (Stajan & Brouwer) but, one is almost done and one can be marginalized..so not so bad.

if the Flames start trading away the young assets they've developed then they will end up in the same boat they just got out of. A team full of aging players with burdensome contracts in a league getting younger and faster.

that's not a recipe for success.

The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #5514
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope we don't go down the Pacioretty path. If we go after anyone, I hope it's Hoffman. He's the best option and best fit as far as I'm concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #5515
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Almost all rumors stem around the flames trading for LHS-LW players.
I feel this is the worst place we need to be looking for depth, what the flames are lacking is RHS RW's. Outside of Frolik and Brouwer we have 0 TOP 6 players.

Ferland is producing just fine on his off wing on that top line, but I'd really like the flames to go after a pure finisher (yes they are impossible to find) but I again I feel the one threat we're missing on our PP specifically is that trigger man on his off wing top circle (Ovi, Stamkos, Laine) all play it and do it well.

We need someone there
Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #5516
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Almost all rumors stem around the flames trading for LHS-LW players.
I feel this is the worst place we need to be looking for depth, what the flames are lacking is RHS RW's. Outside of Frolik and Brouwer we have 0 TOP 6 players.

Ferland is producing just fine on his off wing on that top line, but I'd really like the flames to go after a pure finisher (yes they are impossible to find) but I again I feel the one threat we're missing on our PP specifically is that trigger man on his off wing top circle (Ovi, Stamkos, Laine) all play it and do it well.

We need someone there
The issue is that there just isn't a lot of RHS forwards reportedly available.

Most of the wingers on the rumor mill are all LHS
Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #5517
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I really hope we don't go down the Pacioretty path. If we go after anyone, I hope it's Hoffman. He's the best option and best fit as far as I'm concerned.
Although, Bergevin is very Fleece-able.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #5518
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is probably always on the phones with other GM's getting the pulse on who's available which is why the Flames are a popular choice for rumor mongers to insert into their columns. There's a big difference between interest and having the actual assets to pull off a deal and I think that's why the Flames haven't made any trades this season. They really don't have any draft picks left to deal so any trade is likely player for player and the players or prospects other teams covet are likely players the Flames don't want or can't afford to part with. I just don't see a lot of trade action from this team this season as the GM kind of locked himself into this roster over the summer.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #5519
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN's trade bait board:

Old 01-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #5520
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can actually see the Oilers getting a decent return for Maroon at the deadline unfortunately.
Closed Thread