Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #421
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you guys are forgetting that a this league is going to have a huge impact in developing better players in Canada. Sure at the start it could be more difficult to fill out the rosters with good Canadian talent. However as time goes on these teams are going to develop their own Canadian talent through their academies. A huge issue in Canadian soccer is we don't really have much opportunity for the 16-22 year old player to continue to develop. These teams will give them that chance.

At first teams may use their money to bring in star foreign player to build around is my guess.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #422
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I think you guys are forgetting that a this league is going to have a huge impact in developing better players in Canada. Sure at the start it could be more difficult to fill out the rosters with good Canadian talent. However as time goes on these teams are going to develop their own Canadian talent through their academies. A huge issue in Canadian soccer is we don't really have much opportunity for the 16-22 year old player to continue to develop. These teams will give them that chance.

At first teams may use their money to bring in star foreign player to build around is my guess.
The provincial governing bodies (ASA etc), and CSF need to be at the table with the clubs, promoting organic development. A friend on the ASA board mentioned that’s not happening at the moment, but of course there’s time.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #423
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. The whole reason for this league is to give Canadian players who have the talent a chance to develop further. Take a player like Mark Anthony Kaye, who was cut from Toronto FC at 20, played 2 years in USL, and is now starting every game with Los Angeles.

What people also don't hear of is the fact that some Canadians turn down offers because they get low-balled knowing that they are the only option. An example is Paul Hamilton. He was an NASL Best 11 player in 2012, but Colin Miller was hired and promptly cut him. He had multiple offers from NASL clubs, but the clubs knew they could get away with offering him low money and he decided it wasn't worth it to be thousands of kms away from his wife to make less than minimum wage.

Or there are Canadian players who sign pro deals who are rejected from getting work visas because of their birth country. Moses Danto is an example of that.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #424
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Sure but does Canada have 200 players who are upper echelon that aren't good enough to play in the MLS. I'm not sure we do and that's not to say we don't have 200 people. I'm saying 200 of the best of the rest if you see where I'm coming from. Over in England and Europe the talent pool is always going to be bigger because you're born into playing.
I don't understand your position. "Upper echelon" is relative. The top slice (or more accurately, the second slice), no matter how thick, is upper echelon to me. There's no cliff where talent suddently drops off - the deeper you go, the closer the next player you add is going to be.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #425
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Dude, seriously your persistent pessimistic M.O, is tiring. You're not going to to one of the games. We get it. You don't bring much other than #####t!ing on the league & sport.
If you have decided that literally anything that is not shoving sunshine up a topic's ass is "persistent pessimism", then that is a failing in you not in me. I am very interested in this league, how it does, and how it will progress. But I am not going to sit here and be a fanboy and pretend there aren't hurdles for it to overcome. In fact, my biggest interest in the league from the business side is to see how it tries to overcome them. So, whether you like it or not, I am not going to stop discussing them because it offends your sensibilities.

Now, rather than belly ache, please do tell me why anyone should consider the 31st largest urban area in the country as a possibility.

Red Deer would make far more sense in the PDL.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 06-10-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #426
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

As far as Edmonton's logo goes, they managed to outsuck York9 on that front. That takes some effort. The C taking a piss into the air was such an Edmonton thing to do, too.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #427
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bias aside, our logo is the coolest thus far.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #428
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
If you have decided that literally anything that is not shoving sunshine up a topic's ass is "persistent pessimism", then that is a failing in you not in me. I am very interested in this league, how it does, and how it will progress. But I am not going to sit here and be a fanboy and pretend there aren't hurdles for it to overcome. In fact, my biggest interest in the league from the business side is to see how it tries to overcome them. So, whether you like it or not, I am not going to stop discussing them because it offends your sensibilities.

Now, rather than belly ache, please do tell me why anyone should consider the 31st largest urban area in the country as a possibility.

Red Deer would make far more sense in the PDL.
haha, you just did it again, albeit you've stepped away from the ledge some.

Don't get more deluded than your baseline, that the Kelowna suggestion was the lone comment. My sensibilities? If you don't have the self-awareness, into how you operate --- then really, you're just mad at you.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #429
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

In other words, you can't support give an argument on why Red Deer would be contemplated. Got it.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:08 AM   #430
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
In other words, you can't support give an argument on why Red Deer would be contemplated. Got it.
Well it's pretty easy to fashion an argument for Red Deer. They reported that they were in talks with 22 more groups about teams. So if Red Deer is the 31st largest per population, they could very possibly top 10 in economy. They have Edmonton and Calgary as potential rivals which helps grow interest. Also they wouldn't have to compete with a Toronto FC like Toronto area teams, or potential QC teams with the Impact. I really don't see Red Deer as a far fetched idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #431
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

That assumes one group per market. Given how many communities exist within the GTA (as one example) - all larger than Red Deer - the city is going to be well down the list.

More importantly, if the CPL wants to be taken seriously as a top flight league, it's going to stick with major markets for a good long time. Shermanator mentions the possibility once a second division is created. But, to be honest, I don't see Red Deer as even a consideration unless the CPL gets to the point of forming a third division.

The city could be well served by a PDL team though. Perhaps being successful at that level could up that timeline into a second division possibility.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 06-11-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #432
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I see Red Deer as a market that is CPL-Tier 2, and has a chance to move up once there is a promotion system in place. This provides incentive to develop soccer programs at the smaller-market level, and in conjunction with the local Soccer Association governing bodies. I agree, a PDL team may make way more sense - at least to start.

CPL needs the big market teams to work first; if/when there is a consistent revenue stream and room for growth, this is when secondary markets may make more sense.

I don't NOT see Red Deer in the CPL, but it won't happen for a very long time. Two professional clubs in Alberta is more than enough to give an honest go first.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #433
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...=share_article

We want Quebec in the Canadian Premier League

Réjean Tremblay
RÉJEAN TREMBLAY Monday, 11 June 2018 05:00 Update Monday, 11 June 2018 05:00

First, the big news of the day. The Canadian Premier League, the new Canadian soccer league that will begin its first season in 2019, absolutely wants to have a franchise in Quebec City. So much so that Tom Moser, in charge of the financial development of the league, tried yesterday to join Marcel Aubut to invite him in the adventure.

In addition, Moser spoke with Alain April, co-owner of the Bonne Entente in Quebec to see if the group of businessmen working with Jacques Tanguay could be interested in the investment.

The Canadian Premier League has teams in Victoria, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Halifax, Calgary, York in the Toronto area, and Winnipeg. But Tom Moser has just received the mandate to establish two teams in Quebec.

"Quebec City is our primary goal. It's the capital, and we know it's an excellent market for the sport, "said Moser.

The CPL is also planning to survey the Sherbrooke market, but a group from Saguenay would also be interested.

The teams will be trained to 80% of Canadian players. Coaches and leaders must be Canadian. A commercial agreement has already been signed with the men's and women's Olympic teams.

The cost of the concession is $ 3 million. The equivalent of a team from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. It is estimated that about 6000 spectators are needed to pay for it. Not to mention the potential revenue from TV and radio.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #434
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ Saskatoon leak. As well as some Quebec news.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #435
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
^ Saskatoon leak. As well as some Quebec news.
Saskatoon must be a suburb of Hamilton, seeing as how the latter is basically more confirmed than the former.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #436
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
The cost of the concession is $ 3 million. The equivalent of a team from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. It is estimated that about 6000 spectators are needed to pay for it. Not to mention the potential revenue from TV and radio.
That's very troublesome and probably why soccer fails so routinely in Canada, I guess. I'm willing to bet every team in the league is dramatically below 6k a game.

Hell, Calgary isn't even guaranteed to have 6000 seats (they announced 5-7k).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #437
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The challenges of such a spread out league in a country with a high cost to travel. You need more fans at higher prices to work.

Also, understandable the league really wants Quebec City. Montreal might not be a real option with the Impact already there. But Quebec City is a large market without a professional team at present. A Quebec team is a must, and it's the best location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #438
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The CPL has also been trying to get a league-wide airline sponsor. Don't know if that will end up happening, but it would be a key piece of business.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #439
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

While things are quiet during World cup, here's a good Q&A with league president Paul Beirne.

http://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/qa-with-paul-beirne

Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #440
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I don't understand your position. "Upper echelon" is relative. The top slice (or more accurately, the second slice), no matter how thick, is upper echelon to me. There's no cliff where talent suddently drops off - the deeper you go, the closer the next player you add is going to be.
All I'm saying is Canada's talent pool is poor so I don't see how they could sustain Red Deer having a team unless after high school soccer you go to the Canadian Premier League.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote