Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What's your reaction to Bill Peters being hired as HC
Hate it 56 6.91%
A little nervous 81 10.00%
Cautiously Optimistic 347 42.84%
Love it 34 4.20%
Taking a wait and see approach 271 33.46%
Don't think it matters 21 2.59%
Voters: 810. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2018, 01:25 PM   #221
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why rush the decision? Maybe it was BP's call to see what he has with those guys before making a call.
Then why not keep Cameron and Jerrard for the same reason?

I see the link as being direct:
Overall attitude and coaching decisions bad ====> fire the head coach
PP stinks ======> fire the offense coach
Top D corps on paper falters ====> fire the defense coach
Goal tending issues (soft goals, inconsistency) ====> fire the goalie coach
Attitude enhancement/player relations seem off =====> tell Gelinas to take a hike

(again, I think video guys are a dime a dozen, but if you are cleaning house, then why leave a little mold in the garage?)

(The only other guy that I can't believe is still around, and he has survived regime change after regime change is Tod Button - Does any scout still employed in the NHL have a worse draft record than he does??)
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #222
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know beats me. I just think we wait and see how it plays out.
I also think it's a bit naive to assume good video guys are a dime a dozen.
Breaking video down into actual meaningful and valuable insights would be an important role.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #223
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The assistants that were fired were the same assistants that Gulutzan brought in.

The assistants that were retained were the ones the organization wanted, and which Gulutzan inherited.

The implication is that Gelinas and Sigalet especially are outside Gulutzan's and now Peters' control.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #224
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why rush the decision? Maybe it was BP's call to see what he has with those guys before making a call.
I never trust those Machiavellian Pizza Bastards!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #225
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The implication is that Gelinas and Sigalet especially are outside Gulutzan's and now Peters' control.
Why is it that the last two coaching staffs walked the plank because they didn't do a good enough job in the opinion of the GM but these two guys were absolved of blame both times? It's not like the goaltending has ever been a team strength since Sigalet joined the team so I just don't understand how the GM can be critical of all the coaches except these two guys.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:42 PM   #226
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im not sure if Treliving could fire Gelinas even if he wanted to.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #227
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why is it that the last two coaching staffs walked the plank because they didn't do a good enough job in the opinion of the GM but these two guys were absolved of blame both times? It's not like the goaltending has ever been a team strength since Sigalet joined the team so I just don't understand how the GM can be critical of all the coaches except these two guys.
My issue with Sigalet this year is the return of Smith following his injury. As a player he is going to say he is ready, even when he isn't quite there yet. It was pretty clear that Smith returned before he was 100% and Rittich/Gillies likely would have given them a better chance to win those games. That is 100% on Sigalet IMO.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #228
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
My issue with Sigalet this year is the return of Smith following his injury. As a player he is going to say he is ready, even when he isn't quite there yet. It was pretty clear that Smith returned before he was 100% and Rittich/Gillies likely would have given them a better chance to win those games. That is 100% on Sigalet IMO.
Except that when Smith did actually return it was absolutely not clear that either of Rittich or Gillies would have given the Flames a better chance to win. Both guys stumbled pretty hard when they were given the reins, which is also disappointing.

I am still hopeful that Rittich can be a lot better over the course of a full season. He looked excellent prior to Smith's injury. Just for consideration, Mikka Kiprusoff was stellar in his first two years as a backup it SJ—playing 5 games with a 1.95GAA and a 0.902 SP in 2001, and then a 2.48GAA and a 0.915 SP in 20 games in 2002. In 2002–03 he replaced Nabokov as the Sharks new starter, and he stumbled to a 3.25GAA and a 0.879SP. He was 26-years-old. Rittich is 25 and just finished his first NHL season with some real bright spots and some blunders. I think he will be much better next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-26-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #229
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
It's more like a combo of GG, Sigalet, training staff, Smith and Rittich, who was tapering off.

That all said, I don't think Sigalet is safe. He just wasn't let go with GG and his picked guys.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #230
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't get it either. And in terms of Gelinas, we love him for 2004, but I honestly don't know what he even does as an assistant coach. Maybe he's great at it, and maybe Peters really likes and wants to keep him (and Sigalet). But, for the team's sake, if Peters wants someone else, I hope Treliving et al can accept that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #231
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Both guys stumbled pretty hard when they were given the reigns reins, which is also disappointing.
fyp
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #232
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
fyp
Yaaasssssss
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #233
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFlamesFan View Post
Cautiously optimistic for me.
I like the idea of a new coach rather than keeping the same guy (look north e=ng)
I like the idea that he coaches to the “new NHL” style, rather than some tired costly alternates.
I like that he can talk and address things, and seems to confront things better than GG. Time will tell but I wanted Sutter’s “kick em in the butt” personality with a Babcock mind for the game. We’ll see who the next hires are...
I also liked that he can talk about things, and that he doesn't seem to agree with everything GG applied to this group. I am sure much of it has to do with players feedback as well but at the end of the day the coach and players have to play for each other. I am optimistic that Peters can do more with this group. The talent is there; Now if we can get Bennett clicking and playing with better players. Get that PP rolling.., the goaltending is there so a lot of us could be pleasantly surprised!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote