Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #5601
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what, Dion is signed for three more years. If the Sens were to retain 2M and take Brouwer back, maybe through in a pick....

They save 6M over the course of the contract, it's only .5 more than Brouwer for the next 2 years and a 5M hit the final year. That opens up one of the defensemen to be traded for the mighty Taveras. Go ahead. I don't think he's as much of a problem child as when he left.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #5602
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure the Flames do a thing anymore in regards to trades. Seems the answers were within the organization. The level of difficulty on the win streak speaks volumes to how this team has come around. While it would be fun to add some ammo, I don't know if there's the will or capacity to add right now from flames management.

Only point I can see something done is Backlund. But that six weeks down the road if at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #5603
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think they'll do something from a bottom 6 perspective. A gritty/fast winger as an insurance policy. Right now Mangiapane is the 13th forward when frolik is back. I don't think he's an ideal 4th liner.

So a rental 4th line winger what the flames go and get before the deadline.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #5604
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

... and Cogliano signs a 3yr @ $3.25M per with the Ducks.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #5605
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are some names for depth forwards in the bottom 6 that some of you would target?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #5606
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's some cheap guys out there on potential sellers:

Coyotes
brad richardson

Florida
colton sceviour

Edmonton (... i know i know)
letestu

Sabres
Jordan Nolan
Benoit Pouliot..?

avs (if they drop off)
gabriel bourque
Comeau ( haha)

hawks (if they drop off)
tommy wingels

wild (if they drop off)
chris stewart
winnik
cullen

there's options there, depending on who's selling.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #5607
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
What are some names for depth forwards in the bottom 6 that some of you would target?
If Treliving could somehow replace Brouwer with Andrew Shaw I think that would be a win. We would give up some size and add an extra year of a bad contract, but Shaw is a really versatile player who can play all 3 forward positions, he is a pain to play against, he goes hard to the net, he plays with a ton of emotion and energy.

Brouwer would give Montreal a new voice, size, and a year less of a bad contract.

Probably a long shot, but I would like to see Shaw added to the bottom 6, he does have 10 goals so far this year, so he can chip in some offense too.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #5608
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would trade for Matt Moulson to be an emergency callup in Stockton, unload a bad contract to buffalo, make them throw in Nick Baptiste (just because goddam I feel like it - to quote Costner), and make a permanent spot available for Eatbread or Hrivik on the big club.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #5609
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
One player I think could come in and help us for a playoff run is Val Filppula.

On a one year deal with the Flyers. Philly losing ground in their playoff hunt. Could possibly be had for cheap as a pure rental and would be able to step into Stajan's spot on the 4th line immediately and help our PK. it would also be neat if we could somehow get Jordan Weal from them too, especially if we are looking at possibly losing Backlund?

If we were losing Backlund (not trying to push him out the door)

Backlund to team on the cusp or a bonafide contender for 1st rounder and mid Prospect? Maybe more?

Wotherspoon, Gillies, Shinkaruk for Filppula, Weal and a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd?

Flame away!

EDIT: Brouwer finally doing his job after 1.5 seasons... lets see if he can keep it up before moving him? I think hes been great since GG's Stick throw. Was Brouwer one of the vets he was talking about?
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #5610
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ I like Filp, but not including Gillies in a trade to get him.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #5611
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I would trade for Matt Moulson to be an emergency callup in Stockton, unload a bad contract to buffalo, make them throw in Nick Baptiste (just because goddam I feel like it - to quote Costner), and make a permanent spot available for Eatbread or Hrivik on the big club.
He'll make $5 million playing the AHL, and he'll count against the cap. Do not want. Better options out there for less money, even if he is on the last year of his contract.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #5612
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

EDIT: Brouwer finally doing his job after 1.5 seasons... lets see if he can keep it up before moving him? I think hes been great since GG's Stick throw. Was Brouwer one of the vets he was talking about?
I think Shaw is still a better player than Brouwer, even if Brouwer is playing better.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #5613
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer looks better on the second line playing with Backlund, but when Frolik comes back, he will go back to being a very solid fourth liner.

I think freeing up money is the best way to look at Brouwer, regardless of how he is playing. And playing on the second line for a month might actually even out his value from the perspective of an aquiring team.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #5614
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No thanks to any rentals.

Frolik will be coming back eventually and we have the potential of also adding Versteeg and maybe even Jagr as depth pieces later on. Plus we're already pick deficient as it is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #5615
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
The real question is do we even want him at 12 million? Almost double our highest contracts.

I am thinking the Flames wouldn't do it but I think Tavares pulls a Stamkos at the end of the day or goes to the Rangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
That would be an emphatical yes.
Emphatic yes?

Even McDavid is going to be a huge challenge for the Oilers with a $12.5M cap hit.

And Tavares is no McDavid.

As awesome as it would be to bring in Tavares, with a $12M cap hit, it would be beyond difficult to build a winner around him.

cap hit matters.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #5616
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

No to Tavares at $12 million or more.

The most I'd go would be about what I had him for in my mock up roster, $9.5 million.

Last year people repeatedly said Stamkos was getting $10 million +. Sure he was injured, but he has roughly the same pedigree, past performance and is also the same age as Tavares.

Their contracts will be comparable if he stays with Isles, and $9.5 to $10 million per if he goes elsewhere IMO.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #5617
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know what, Dion is signed for three more years. If the Sens were to retain 2M and take Brouwer back, maybe through in a pick....

They save 6M over the course of the contract, it's only .5 more than Brouwer for the next 2 years and a 5M hit the final year. That opens up one of the defensemen to be traded for the mighty Taveras. Go ahead. I don't think he's as much of a problem child as when he left.
noooo, I'd much rather have Kulak playing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #5618
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
There's some cheap guys out there on potential sellers:

Coyotes
brad richardson

Florida
colton sceviour

Edmonton (... i know i know)
letestu

Sabres
Jordan Nolan
Benoit Pouliot..?

avs (if they drop off)
gabriel bourque
Comeau ( haha)

hawks (if they drop off)
tommy wingels

wild (if they drop off)
chris stewart
winnik
cullen

there's options there, depending on who's selling.

Not a single player on that list I would want to give an asset for
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #5619
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Terrible. Phaneuf is garbage and the Flames have Andersson and Valimaki that will push for spots next year.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #5620
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
If we were losing Backlund (not trying to push him out the door)

Backlund to team on the cusp or a bonafide contender for 1st rounder and mid Prospect? Maybe more?
I wish it weren't coming to this, but I think this is the outcome we're staring in the face. If we could get that return, you make the deal.

Quote:
Wotherspoon, Gillies, Shinkaruk for Filppula, Weal and a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd?
Can't see the Flames trading away Gillies. Smith is getting long in the tooth and likely not here past this contract. Gillies and Rittich is likely the tandem down the line, with the hopes Parsons can step up and show he can play. You don't trade away a goaltender until you are certain you have something in the pipe that can step in and replace that asset, not leaving a hole. As much hype as Parsons has received, he needs to show he can be a dominant stopper. A 3.08 GAA (32nd amongst goaltenders in the ECHL) and a .907 S% (26th) are not the numbers that get you dealing a guy hovering just outside the top 10 in the same categories at a level above.

I would say if you're going after Fippula, you just make a deal for him and be done with it, and only if it is inexpensive.
Closed Thread