Exp:
Default 2020/2021 MLB Offseason Thread

Tony La Russa? What the actual ####?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love these old guys like Larussa and Dusty managing.

Also Hinch about be hired by the Tigers and Astros waiving Osuna (finally).
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm puzzled by the La Russa hire, but also really interested in seeing how it all shakes out for them. He was an old hardass, which I'm sure hasn't changed over time, and I'm really keen on seeing how this will work with today's players. But also to bring him in now must have been a little intriguing for him, so I wonder what the White Sox have in their plans this off-season to make it compelling for him to return to a coaching role.

As for the Jays, when the upper management is talking up how they'll make a splash, I'm a little scared for what signing may be coming. I've said before and I'll say it again, if I have a choice I'd be better if they gave it another season before going for big fish, but I guess ownership wants immediate results. If the Jays don't play the upcoming year in Toronto they should start now with the Rogers Centre renovation as well as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something like that and have the fans look forward to the "new" place.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:38 AM   #4
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brought this up during the short season, but worth revisiting given the comments about Shatkins making free agent splashes to try and catch the curve of the young guys rising along with some experienced and pricey vets...does Montoyo start the season next year as manager?

I’m 50/50, but he has a real short leash if he does start (and the Jays spend big (relatively speaking) in FA this year).
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Brought this up during the short season, but worth revisiting given the comments about Shatkins making free agent splashes to try and catch the curve of the young guys rising along with some experienced and pricey vets...does Montoyo start the season next year as manager?

I’m 50/50, but he has a real short leash if he does start (and the Jays spend big (relatively speaking) in FA this year).

I understand Atkins/Shapie-ro logic of getting a good mix of veterans and young guys to take pressure off the young guys and guide where needed (the guiding part probably a little overblown in pro sports). I tend to agree with the logic of it all, but where I disagree is the timing of bringing in big guns. I don't think this team is far, but I also don't think it's next year. Areas I think they need to shore up better - C, SP and probably 2 OF. I think acquiring one marquee player through spending $30MM isn't the way to go right now. I'd much rather them saving that money until next year, and spending it on a C and SP when they're ready to really go for it. I think this upcoming season will determine who goes and stays, and spending that money now will be not so great timing. I know Shapiro probably pitched for more dollars and ownership complied if it meant success, which is positive news, but I'd much prefer they hold off a year for that.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh, I don't think he has a short leash at all. I think he's the manager upper management wants in place. Not to sound conspiratorial, but he comes across as a puppet and just a guy grateful for the opportunity. I think he's in place for two seasons before he's given the yank.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

I'm pretty much thinking the opposite. I think he has a really long leash. The Jays made the playoffs a year after they had the highest draft pick in 23 years. Even if the Jays take a step back there are readily apparent mitigating factors (weird short season, strange schedule, etc. etc.). I think Montoyo has at least a couple seasons before that's even a possibility.

I really like where the Jays are right now. Basically just need a #3 Pitcher and an infielder that can hit.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montoyo has a year left on his contract with an option for another year. If they do pick it up hopefully that's it. He's a nice guy but if they're serious about wanting to be a contender they need to move on to someone else.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Oh, I don't think he has a short leash at all. I think he's the manager upper management wants in place. Not to sound conspiratorial, but he comes across as a puppet and just a guy grateful for the opportunity. I think he's in place for two seasons before he's given the yank.
Well yeah, I do think he is and has been the "puppet" you mentioned for those guys, a nice guy, letting these young guys figure things out on their own with not some old school task masker making them hate coming to the ball park some days. He was willing to do what the execs want him to do roster wise, and happy to have been given the chance. Also, this role now means his future roles will be higher profile being an ex manager etc so he comes out ahead personally. But he is and always has been a placeholder for the next guy for when the team wants to take the next step.

Which is why in my opinion, if the Jays are starting to enter win now mode, as signalled by supposed big money spending, and expectations higher, they are entering that next step phase, that his time with the Jays is in jeopardy.

Also, as part of the attraction of free agents, if that what is happening, to come to a winning organization, the process will include questions from free agents as to the experience of/ who manages the team and how the Jays sell how they plan to win sooner than later, and for multiple years in a row going forward as a team. IMO I don't think that answer includes Charlie.

Last edited by browna; 11-01-2020 at 10:24 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Some blowback starting up against Vlad Jr. for this post on IG yesterday.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323098895170371584

A couple things.

1) He is at home and lives in the DR. Guns are perfectly legal to possess and carry there. No laws being breached here.

2) In the DR there are more than a few cases of high profile countrymen there have faced real violence because of who they are. Protection is a real thing for a lot of people everyday they are on the island.

This picture may shock some who see it but this should not be a "thing" at all when taken in complete context....even if it isnt a great look to Candians.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #11
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real shocking part is he looks to have lost weight again! Or is that just wishful thinking...
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #12
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Speaking of Montoyo, nominated for AL manager of the year:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...er-year-award/

Also Ryu a finalist for the Cy Young:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...y-young-award/

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 11-02-2020 at 05:21 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #13
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
The real shocking part is he looks to have lost weight again! Or is that just wishful thinking...

Wishful thinking. He's wearing black.

In fairness he looks a bit less chunky, but I'm waiting to see once the season starts. He's done this before. As for the picture, as a person who's worked on and off in his country, he knows the danger and it's no big deal at all.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well apparently Vladdy has dropped 32 pounds. Not to shabby! Now can he keep it off and maybe drop a few more?
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #15
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Well apparently Vladdy has dropped 32 pounds. Not to shabby! Now can he keep it off and maybe drop a few more?

I can't tell you how skeptical I am. Not at the weight loss, because 32 pounds is a good start for a guy his size. Anyone can lose that by doing keto quickly (I did and I'm a fraction of his size). Where I would want to see him succeed is a) converting that into muscle and b) maintaining it coming into spring training. The rest the team can deal with when it comes to feeding him right when he's with the team. I can't complain that he's making an attempt, but I'm so suspicious of his discipline because of last year seeing the same thing.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #16
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

One more thing to add, I don't want Bauer on the team. Just seems like a crappy person. I don't think he's really interested in the Jays - he just knows they have money and wants to keep the door open but will leverage the Jays to drive up the price if he can get it elsewhere.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #17
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So nine LA Dodgers and one family member have tested positive for COVID so far since they won the WS over a week ago.

Not good, but what a mess that would have been if it had spread just a couple weeks earlier.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #19
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Johnny Bench auction online. There are some amazing pieces of memorabilia available.
https://huntauctions.com/live/catalogue.cfm
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy dunpster fire

@JeffPassan:
Chicago White Sox manager Tony La Russa was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence in February and charged with DUI a day before the team hired him, according to court records obtained by ESPN.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post: