Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Forgot to mention the Chiefs fans booing the "moment of unity" made them look like a bunch of brain dead hicks. I'm sure it won't be the last we see of that crap this weekend.
What is the Venn Diagram for NFL fans and Trump supporters?

A 2014 Reuters piece, NFL: Last sports bastion of white, male conservatives, made clear:

“Of people who identified themselves as part of the NFL fan base 83 percent were white, 64 percent were male, 51 percent were 45 years or older, only 32 percent made less than $60,000 a year, and, to finish the point, registered Republicans were 21 percent more likely to be NFL fans than registered Democrats. Another factoid: NFL fans were 59 percent more likely than the average American to have played golf in the last year.”

The NFL’s Most Republican and Democratic Fan Bases

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...atic-fan-bases
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #42
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

some more big contracts before the season really gets going tomorrow.

Rams re-sign Cooper Kupp (3 yrs, 48m)
Vikings re-sign Dalvin Cook (5 years, 63m)
Saints re-sign Alvin Kamara (5 years, 75m)
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #43
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very strange to see running backs getting paid huge when we all know how low their value is in the league. Even stranger with a cap crunch incoming.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #44
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Very strange to see running backs getting paid huge when we all know how low their value is in the league. Even stranger with a cap crunch incoming.
I'd imagine the Saints think that Brees is retiring after this season, so they probably won't have a lot of cap space tied to the QB position for the next few years.

Same with the Vikings and Cousins' contract being up after next season.

Both of those teams are probably heading for at least a retool if not a rebuild if they don't win it all this year or next.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still if you have a good offensive line you should be able to plug and play any decent RB and have success on the ground. Look at the 49ers for instance. Kamara has never even broke 1000 yards rushing in a season and while I get that he's dual purpose a lot of that has to do with the fact Brees can't throw the deep ball anymore and they are running a dink and dunk offense.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #46
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'd imagine the Saints think that Brees is retiring after this season, so they probably won't have a lot of cap space tied to the QB position for the next few years.

Same with the Vikings and Cousins' contract being up after next season.

Both of those teams are probably heading for at least a retool if not a rebuild if they don't win it all this year or next.
Yeah exactly. Plus Bridgewater going 5-0 last year when playing mostly pedestrian football shows they're now a strong enough team to stay relevant even after Brees retires.

I'm not crazy about all the money being thrown at Kamara, especially with his injury concerns. But he's much more than just an RB..I'd say when healthy he's been the Saints 2nd most important pass catcher after Thomas. Its hard to find guys who are as effective of an all-around offensive weapon as Kamara is.

I just hope he can stay healthy..

Last edited by Sainters7; 09-12-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:12 PM   #47
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Still if you have a good offensive line you should be able to plug and play any decent RB and have success on the ground. Look at the 49ers for instance. Kamara has never even broke 1000 yards rushing in a season and while I get that he's dual purpose a lot of that has to do with the fact Brees can't throw the deep ball anymore and they are running a dink and dunk offense.
I don't know that is true at all.. He is still among the best in the league at it.

Quote:
The Precision Passers

Which quarterbacks are most accurate with their deep throws? The table below shows the players with the highest Catchable Percentage on passes that travel at least 20 yards down the field (minimum 30 attempts). This stat looks at the passes that should be caught by the receiver based on where the pass is placed. Keep track of the players on this list, and compare this list to the “gunslinger” table that follows.

Quarterback Catchable %
Jimmy Garoppolo 72%
Matt Ryan 67%
Gardner Minshew 60%
Drew Brees 60%
Daniel Jones 60%
Kirk Cousins 59%
Carson Wentz/Baker Mayfield 58%

This list shows how dominant Jimmy Garoppolo has been when throwing the deep ball, throwing an accurate pass 72% of the time. Compare that to Jameis Winston’s 54%, and you can see why Winston was prone to interceptions.

In terms of who is completing deep passes most often, Garoppolo leads the league with a 59% completion percentage (19-of-32). He’s followed by Gardner Minshew (22-of-45, 49%), Patrick Mahomes (29-of-62, 47%), Drew Brees (14-of-30, 47%) and Dak Prescott (33-of-74, 45%).
I mean, Thomas led the league in yards and catches by a mile last year....he doesnt run 15 yard out routes every time.

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/...asses-in-2019/
Old 09-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #48
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the "Brees can't throw the deep ball" thing is overplayed. True that at 41 he doesn't have the arm strength he once did, but he was also battling a thumb injury on his throwing hand last season, that he came back early from. He actually had a great season when returning (3,000 yds, 27 TD, 4 INT in only 10 full games), people only remember the Vikings playoff game when he was running for his life. In TC its been reported he's been throwing 40+ yards on the regular.

The Brees one is overblown but I at least kind of get it, but don't even get me started on the "Thomas can only run slants" thing...sooo stupid. Just because he's a large body and not a burner doesn't mean all he runs is slants, his 2019 highlights are filled with lots of deep ball catches. People just love to hate on him is what it is (which I could see, he can be lippy on social media).

Last edited by Sainters7; 09-13-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I don't know that is true at all.. He is still among the best in the league at it.

I mean, Thomas led the league in yards and catches by a mile last year....he doesnt run 15 yard out routes every time.

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/...asses-in-2019/
Yeah but that stat is deceiving because he barely throws deep anymore as only Garoppolo threw less deep balls in 2019. He only goes deep when a receiver is wide open as per PFF.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking...s-deep-passing

Quote:
Few players throw a better deep ball than Drew Brees when he’s at his best, but as he ages, his effectiveness and frequency of deep passing has declined. Only Garoppolo threw deep less often, even adjusting for the games he missed injured, and by late in the year his arm looked alarmingly weak. Does Brees still have this string to his bow? The Saints likely need it if they are to win that elusive second championship.
https://theathletic.com/1945894/2020...-nfl-starters/

Quote:
Another coach thought the downfield passing issues — 10 completions on 26 attempts on passes traveling more than 20 yards past the line of scrimmage, an unusually low number and completion rate for Brees — primarily reflected the lack of a deep threat.

“I gave him a two, but I really want to give him a three,” a defensive coach countered. “I think the system helps him. I don’t think he can throw the ball (as well) outside the numbers unless it’s 5 yards or less. He can throw an over route out of play-action, but he doesn’t sit back there and hold the ball. I gave him a two because he knows the offense, but I’m not scared of him.”
https://www.nfl.com/news/a-blueprint...p3000000882364

Quote:
Although he has posted the third-highest passer rating (105.4) and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 25:3 (or 8.3 percent) on "short" passes, I find it interesting that he exceeds the league average (48.7 percent) in short pass attempts by such a significant margin. You always think of Brees as a downfield attacker based on the numbers of deep seam throws that have dotted his highlight reels over the years, but it's simply not the case. The veteran has become a masterful "dink and dunk" artist who prefers to stretch the field horizontally instead of vertically at this stage of his career.
I could go on and on because the stats are pretty conclusive but that's not the point of my original post. I simply stated the reason Kamara has such great receiving stats is because the Saints throw more short passes than any other team. He's still good enough to run that offense which has changed over the years to suit his strengths as he ages and that's why Payton is such a good coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #50
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I dont know the stats or if they are even kept, but i would surmise that those guys that throw deep more often are generally on teams that are behind on the scoreboard more often, although with SF that would suggest otherise.

Whatever though, Brees can still thro the deep ball even if it is not as accurate as it once was, and that the Saints are not a "dink and dunk" team. Far from it actually.

One other thing, and this appears to be the case league wide, RB's have never been more important down the field in the passing game as they are now. Its the ultimate copycat league, and Belichick started it with James White and company (not to mention turning the TE position into a WR type of player||), the Saints and Chiefs took it to another level, and now everyone is looking for guys that can carry the ball but just as importantly catch it and run. SF, again, being a complete outlier in that regard.

It used to be that teams used the ground game to set up the deep ball...now it looks like the short pass game is used to set up the longer throws. Maybe its just me but everywhere i look...its pretty much the same thing.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #51
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Well that's a quick pick for Mayfield.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #52
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wow that was an absurdly cool play by Lamar and Ingram.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #53
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

god I have missed Redzone.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 11:27 AM   #54
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

great call by the Browns lol
Old 09-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #55
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russell Wilson in mid-season form. 14-3 Hawks.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #56
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Lol. Cleveland nearly fumbled at Baltimore's 1. They got it back though and are now back in it, 10-6 Ravens.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #57
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Oof. Ravens fumble inside the 20. Browns recover.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #58
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

will take some time to get used to some of the players' new teams. Jamal Adams tackling Todd Gurley in a Seahawks/Falcons game, feels so weird.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #59
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wilson gets his head taken off in a blatant head high hit. No call. Typical.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #60
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Cleveland facing a 3rd and 41, should be fun to see how they deal with this one.

Tags
covid xix