Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #121
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well that was a spectacular goal to concede, wow.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #122
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
well that was a spectacular goal to concede, wow.
Both of them.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats nobody's Business but the Turks'...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #124
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Both of them.
I have no idea what they were doing defensively on either goal.

No idea how they keep sticking with Ole when you have Poch out there and ready for a job.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #125
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I have no idea what they were doing defensively on either goal.

No idea how they keep sticking with Ole when you have Poch out there and ready for a job.
Oh....I dont know...I think managers can afford to be selective at this point.

If you're Poch do you want the United job? He was frustrated with Levy in terms of recruitment and signings, Mourinho ranted ad nauseum about United's penny pinching.

I dont know...I think Poch is still collecting a pretty penny from Spurs, maybe hes enjoying a vacation?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #126
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

If you're Poch do you want the United job? He was frustrated with Levy in terms of recruitment and signings, Mourinho ranted ad nauseum about United's penny pinching.

I dont know...I think Poch is still collecting a pretty penny from Spurs, maybe hes enjoying a vacation?
That was Jose being Jose though at his time in United. He was there for 2 1/2 years and they spent over $800M on transfers, any squad issues were partially his own fault.

Poch didn't spend that much in his 5 1/2 years at Tottenham. Spurs spent a total of $484M in that time, including the only transfer period of recent history that I can recall a PL team making no signings.

At worst you can count on United spending $80-$100M net on transfers per year, and I think that would be more than good enough for Poch.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #127
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mourinho got to spend loads of money at United. Plus the guy then went to, you know, the penny pinchiest club you could think of
Old 11-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #128
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was Jose being Jose though at his time in United. He was there for 2 1/2 years and they spent over $800M on transfers, any squad issues were partially his own fault.

Poch didn't spend that much in his 5 1/2 years at Tottenham. Spurs spent a total of $484M in that time, including the only transfer period of recent history that I can recall a PL team making no signings.

At worst you can count on United spending $80-$100M net on transfers per year, and I think that would be more than good enough for Poch.
I understand. But man...I wouldnt take that United Job if I had any other offers. Sure, it probably pays well and all, but its basically a poison pill.

Maybe they can ask Ryan Giggs?

Quote:
The Wales Football Association has confirmed that Ryan Giggs will not be involved in the squad's upcoming international camp after he was arrested by police on Sunday following a disturbance at his home involving a woman.
https://global.espn.com/football/wal...llowing-arrest

Old 11-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #129
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mourinho got to spend loads of money at United. Plus the guy then went to, you know, the penny pinchiest club you could think of
Istanbul Basaksehir?

Old 11-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #130
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it a poison pill or is it just that they haven’t had great managers since SAF left.

Moyes - Just isn’t that good
LVG - Past his best before date
Mourinho - Never fit the style and culture of the team (Personally don’t think he will succeed at Spurs either)
OGS - Just isn’t that good

IMO Poch best fits the mould of what a successful Manchester Uniter manager could look like. Understands the importance of the youth team, plays a more attacking and attractive style, and is good with the media/fanbase.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-04-2020 at 02:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #131
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it a poison pill or is it just that they haven’t had great managers since SAF left.

Moyes - Just isn’t that good
LVG - Past his best before date
Mourinho - Never fit the style and culture of the team
OGS - Just isn’t that good

IMO Poch best fits the mould of what a successful Manchester Uniter manager could look like. Understands the importance of the youth team, plays a more attacking and attractive style, and is good with the media/fanbase.
Managers are more than coaches. Yes. The Manchester United job is a Poison Pill.

Its not the manager's fault. I mean, OGS is limited in what he can do and I dont think he is entirely to blame but its an organizational issue.

Coaching, recruitment...jettisoning dead weight, its an entire organizational process.

United fans are pissed. I understand that. I lived through the Hicks and Gillette years at Liverpool. I get it. The biggest problem for United fans at the moment is that their team is pretty mediocre at the moment BUT.....they still make money. So nobody cares. Well...nobody who matters anyways.

Except the 'actual fans' which I put in quotations because there arent any 'Actual' United fans like there arent any actual City, 'Real Madrid or Barca' fans. They're not fans of the team they're just fans of winning.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #132
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Managers are more than coaches. Yes. The Manchester United job is a Poison Pill.

Its not the manager's fault. I mean, OGS is limited in what he can do and I dont think he is entirely to blame but its an organizational issue.

Coaching, recruitment...jettisoning dead weight, its an entire organizational process.

United fans are pissed. I understand that. I lived through the Hicks and Gillette years at Liverpool. I get it. The biggest problem for United fans at the moment is that their team is pretty mediocre at the moment BUT.....they still make money. So nobody cares. Well...nobody who matters anyways.

Except the 'actual fans' which I put in quotations because there arent any 'Actual' United fans like there arent any actual City, 'Real Madrid or Barca' fans. They're not fans of the team they're just fans of winning.

A strong manager can completely change the outlook of a team. Henry and the Fenway group bought Liverpool in 2010. For the first 5-6 years the fans didn't love them and still didn't like having the Americans in charge. The team finished in the top 5 once during that time. Dalgish, Hodgson, Rodgers all failed and it didn't look like Liverpool had a hope of improving. Then they hired Klopp who turned around the culture and status of the team. Even his first season or two wasn't great, but they stuck to a vision and in the end it's worked out for them.

Honestly the Glazer family isn't great, and has saddled the club with debt but it's not like they still aren't investing money in the squad year after year. As I said they spend $80-$100M net in the transfer market each year, that should be more than enough.

Why is a team that has spent the second most net in the PL in the last 5 years such a poison pill for a manager? https://www.transfermarkt.us/premier...wettbewerb/GB1

Sure it would be best for them to clean house of Woodward too but IMO a good manager would have been able to influence the signings more and actually get more out of this squad.

You put Mourinho at Liverpool and Klopp at United back in 2015 and I bet you the two clubs fortunes are reversed.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-04-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #133
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

OGS has got to choose some. As did his predecessors. Just so much of it before OGS was poor business.

OGS doesn't deserve this, but Poch is a step above.

They need to disembowel that dressing room.

It's really too bad they missed out on Grealish, as he's taken another step since the missed transfer.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #134
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting away from the United autopsy, PSG crashing into Europa League would be immensely satisfying.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:45 PM   #135
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Istanbul Basaksehir?
you do know that club is Erdogans toy, right?
Old 11-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #136
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
you do know that club is Erdogans toy, right?
Sure.

They're still bad but they still won.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #137
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Throw of the dice here, but does anyone know if any bars still have Sportsnet World?
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #138
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well....Valencia just put the boots to Real.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #139
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Donny, less Pogba.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joel Matip has his work cut out for him today. The only actual starter in the Back 4.