Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #681
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
The next two rounds of PL fixtures make no sense whatsoever.

Both weeks the two clubs playing Tuesday night CL football are scheduled to play the following Sunday whist the two clubs playing Wednesday night games are slotted in for Saturday games?
You are starting to sound like Klopp!
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #682
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or OGS.

They scheduled United in for a 1230 Saturday kickoff after a Wednesday night away in Istanbul. Refused to change it to a Sunday despite the weekend before an international break.

But the Tues/Sun, Wed/Sat is nonsensical.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #683
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The injuries will pile up for the CL teams this season. Liverpool played Sun evening, go away on Wed evening and then back for the earliest game Sat. Players bodies just can’t keep up to that.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #684
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd hedge on post-Christmas break, they do 5 subs.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #685
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been this way for a while though. We had two weeks in a row of Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and the only reason we got a "break" in there was because Leyton Orient had a Covid outbreak.

The FA is just plain ridiculous. They could've pushed back League Cup games at that point in order to make things make more sense. They could push games back this week to make things make more sense. They want these clubs playing in all these competitions for the money, but they also don't want to make that manageable.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #686
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
They're going to have to, but for a lot of teams with thin benches thats not going to be good enough.

Managers like Klopp have been banging the 'Fixture Congestion' drum for years and now its like Fixture Congestion is mainlining heroin.

You can give more subs, but if you dont have the players it doesnt help. Even Liverpool are having a problem considering our ridiculous number of injuries.

They're going to either have to space some of this crap out, nix the Internationals (which IMO would be a great start) or start dropping some Cup games.

I can understand the managerial position of FAs to consider their players as Beasts of Burden and just run 'em hard and put 'em away wet like rented Mules but there are actual physical realities to consider here.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #687
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Already been voted down and if up again will be a tight vote to get the needed 14.
It's not in the lower clubs interests to go for it.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #688
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They're going to have to, but for a lot of teams with thin benches thats not going to be good enough.

Managers like Klopp have been banging the 'Fixture Congestion' drum for years and now its like Fixture Congestion is mainlining heroin.

You can give more subs, but if you dont have the players it doesnt help. Even Liverpool are having a problem considering our ridiculous number of injuries.

They're going to either have to space some of this crap out, nix the Internationals (which IMO would be a great start) or start dropping some Cup games.

I can understand the managerial position of FAs to consider their players as Beasts of Burden and just run 'em hard and put 'em away wet like rented Mules but there are actual physical realities to consider here.
There was a clip in the "All or Nothing" series on Spurs last December and the players were talking about the Christmas fixtures. Kane said something to the effect of "we're not machines", and I think it's both obvious and apparently ignored.

We all like seeing those Boxing Day/December 28/ New Years kinds of things because we like seeing our teams play. At the same time though, it's pretty ridiculous to expect a professional athlete to put in 3 90 minute efforts in a week, often where the games are meaningful.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #689
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

See, I wasn't complaining about the so called fixture congestion, I was just questioning the silliness of Tues/Sat and Wed/Sun.

Why the hell would Kane be complaining about too many games? Xmas fixtures are no different than before.

If anything the teams have it better since the PL began with games decreased from 42 to 38 and easier still since replays were screamed in the FA cup.

Jeez in 99 United played TWO extra time games with Arsenal AND a league game in between their two semi final games with Juve.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #690
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See, I wasn't complaining about the so called fixture congestion, I was just questioning the silliness of Tues/Sat and Wed/Sun.

Why the hell would Kane be complaining about too many games? Xmas fixtures are no different than before.

If anything the teams have it better since the PL began with games decreased from 42 to 38 and easier still since replays were screamed in the FA cup.

Jeez in 99 United played TWO extra time games with Arsenal AND a league game in between their two semi final games with Juve.
You're going to have to dumb this down a bit for me. How is complaining about Tues/Sat and Wed/Sun not complaining about fixture congestion?
Old 11-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #691
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

My bad.
It's the silliness of having Tuesday /Sunday and Wednesday/Saturday.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #692
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theo Walcott scores his first goal for Saints in almost 15 years. Southampton unbeaten in 7 games (still enjoying it while it lasts).

Last edited by dash_pinched; 11-23-2020 at 06:06 PM.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #693
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Already been voted down and if up again will be a tight vote to get the needed 14.
It's not in the lower clubs interests to go for it.
Why aren't the lower clubs for it? Feel free to dumb it down for me.

ALSO, ITS A MIRACLE. Pogba returned to training..

Greenwood and Bailly too.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #694
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why aren't the lower clubs for it? Feel free to dumb it down for me.
Because they have smaller, less quality squads and also play less midweek matches which is the closest thing to a leveller they have.
It makes no sense for them to allow the larger clubs the chance to use 5 subs.

Say United play away in Europe on a Wednesday and again at Burnley on a Saturday. Why, when fatigue is setting in at 60-70 minutes would Burnley want them to be able to replace 5 players when it would benefit them more if they were just to be able to replace three?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #695
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because they have smaller, less quality squads and also play less midweek matches which is the closest thing to a leveller they have.
It makes no sense for them to allow the larger clubs the chance to use 5 subs.

Say United play away in Europe on a Wednesday and again at Burnley on a Saturday. Why, when fatigue is setting in at 60-70 minutes would Burnley want them to be able to replace 5 players when it would benefit them more if they were just to be able to replace three?

Yep, man citys 4th sub can by anyone from mahrez to Foden to rodri

Compare that to bottom half teams and it's not close

The big 6 in most games probably have all 7 subs as a better option than their opponents 1st or 2nd. It just widens the gap

A club like spurs could technically just monster press all game with son, bergwjin, and ndombele. Then bring in Lamela, bale, and lo Celso at 60 minutes and keep it up while the other team tires, or has to bring on subs where the level just takes a massive drop
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #696
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Wednesday to Saturday is just dumb

But I have less sympathy for the fixture congestion when the club's who are having it all have massive squads

Klopp has been complaining a bunch, yet he barely uses the subs he has, and if he does I think 2 are always in the last 5-10 minutes
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #697
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Players on both sides dropping like flies out there.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #698
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howard strikes again.

Weird one. Twas a penalty but Brighton not even looking for it.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #699
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Another game where VAR is the star.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #700
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Is all contact automatically a penalty? There is clearly contact, but it has no impact on the play.