Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #421
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats Dodgers. Lots of good guys in that org. We’re coming after you next year.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:12 PM   #422
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes. Turner's covid test coming back positive and him being pulled in the 6th inning after being around his teammates the entire game and then seeing his teammates with their wives and kids real close celebrating after the game is worrisome.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #423
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I was wondering why the players were all keeping on their masks suddenly while celebrating and I guess we know the reason why. How does a guy get it now? And how does the result come back at night? So odd.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #424
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This really does feel like another Rudy Gobert situation.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1321312092478185474

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:03 PM   #425
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Sounds like some unhappy Rays tonight about the Snell. Maybe they'll suck next year.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:03 AM   #426
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Some people just don't care.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1321324023213518850
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:40 AM   #427
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy for the Dodgers. Built the team the right way, and have the money to keep it together too.

Plus, they likely got robbed twice by cheating cheaters.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:52 AM   #428
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Roberts, a cancer survivor, sitting next to a mask-less Turner. What a ####ing selfish idiot.

https://twitter.com/DVNJr/status/132...333566977?s=20

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 06:19 AM   #429
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as you want to get angry at Turner, the others have to take responsibility for their own lives too. Yes turner should be wearing his mask if anything but guys should be staying away from him too. I get being caught up in the moment but they’re grown men, they should be weary of being around him. Pretty dumb move from them.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #430
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
As much as you want to get angry at Turner, the others have to take responsibility for their own lives too. Yes turner should be wearing his mask if anything but guys should be staying away from him too. I get being caught up in the moment but they’re grown men, they should be weary of being around him. Pretty dumb move from them.
It sounds like the Dodgers insisted Turner be part of the celebration. It's not like he ran out while his teammates and coaches were trying to get him off the field.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #431
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice. A super spreader event live on television for all to witness. I get you want to celebrate together but people are making much bigger sacrifices. If you ever needed a reminder why you shouldn't confuse athletes with role models.

Congrats to the Dodgers but I was pulling for the small payroll team. If the Dodgers don't win that game, how many days delay until there would have been a game 7?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #432
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

This Justin Turner thing has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I think what is upsetting me most is all of the people that are defending his actions. I understand it's terrible timing for him not to be able to celebrate with the team, but think about the thousands (millions?) of people that are missing out on important gatherings in their life during this pandemic. What make Turner more special than anyone else? It's so grossly selfish, and the epitome of why this pandemic is dragging on like it has.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #433
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny thing is the Ken Rosenthal tweet. Manfred has said on the record that they got word of his positive test during the game, which pretty much conflicts with what Rosenthal tweeted. I wonder how he's going to backtrack or squash it now.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #434
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
This Justin Turner thing has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I think what is upsetting me most is all of the people that are defending his actions. I understand it's terrible timing for him not to be able to celebrate with the team, but think about the thousands (millions?) of people that are missing out on important gatherings in their life during this pandemic. What make Turner more special than anyone else? It's so grossly selfish, and the epitome of why this pandemic is dragging on like it has.
I completely agree. Sure, it's a once in lifetime thing, but I know a lot of 18 yos who missed their graduation last year, and wedding cancelled. I don't know when my mom in Canada will ever see her grandsons again.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #435
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Sounds like some unhappy Rays tonight about the Snell. Maybe they'll suck next year.
Can confirm all of us at the ball park we’re stunned. Dodgers fans also stunned and they keep bringing it up every time I run into one today.

What a run and pretty cool to see a team win a championship in person. Sucks wasn’t my team but that’s sports!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #436
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The boring thing about basing a decision purely on analytics is that it gives the athlete no opportunity to display the things that make athletes great, doing completely improbable things on the biggest stage in the biggest moments. Defying the statistics.

If a centerfielder computed the statistical probability of them making a catch before they made a dive for a ball or scaled the wall to rob a home run etc then baseball would start to be pretty damn boring.

A QB throwing a hail mary to the end zone to win a game is highly highly highly improbable that it will succeed, yet they still attempt it, and we love watching it as fans.

Snell was dealing. Nick Anderson throughout the WS and even in the series with Houston was below average. Is Nick Anderson with a 5ish ERA and a high WHIP really a better option than a Snell 3rd time through the order? Didn't seem like it and we will never know because Snell never got the opportunity to show us what makes elite athletes great.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #437
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking him out seems iffy with the option you had at that time in the pen. But thing is, if your offense is only going to get you one run you have no margin for error. If you wait one batter too long with your starter, you’re sunk.

LOL at MLB investigating Turner. Let’s get Inspector Clouseau on the scene.

As another poster said quite eloquently, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #438
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Taking him out seems iffy with the option you had at that time in the pen. But thing is, if your offense is only going to get you one run you have no margin for error. If you wait one batter too long with your starter, you’re sunk.

LOL at MLB investigating Turner. Let’s get Inspector Clouseau on the scene.

As another poster said quite eloquently, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Agree with everything here. Analytics or not, there are plenty of managers roasted over the years for taking out the starter one batter too late and plenty accused of doing it too early.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 11:48 PM   #439
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Breakdown. The analytics didn't even make sense. It was simply 3rd time up.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 10:42 PM   #440
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Breakdown. The analytics didn't even make sense. It was simply 3rd time up.

Cash choked. Couldn't be happier for the Rays
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote