Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Local Sports Leagues

Figured I’d start this thread given we’d usually be at the onset of many summer sports.

I spoke to my buddy at CUSA (Calgary United Soccer Association) about their thoughts on an outdoor season. He said public gatherings are banned until June 30th as we know, and apparently that could extend until July 15th. From there, it would take two weeks to put schedules together for all the leagues, and then another two weeks for field allocations and scheduling of referees. This means best case we’re looking at middle of August, which is almost when provincials usually start.

They’re looking at alternative options such as very compressed league play, followed by top teams going into the Black Cup, middle tier to another cup, etc. I made a suggestion that perhaps every league gets divided in two groups, each team plays each once, and then it’s 1v1, 2v2 etc. Then at least we get league winners and some sort of season.

If this timeline holds true, I’m almost tempted to contact different teams to arrange our own games or tournaments starting July 15th. I already miss playing.

Of course minor soccer will also be on similar timelines. What has everyone else heard in other sports? Pretty sad times, and I feel bad for my kids missing out.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My old-timer hockey got cancelled at West Hillhurst Arena. They have targeted July 1st for re-opening, and are taking bookings for the Fall.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Miller, I'm with you in missing it so much, but I'm not necessarily aligned in wanting to play, unless it's ok'd by the CMO.

Summer hockey is looking to be compressed also, and my favourite time (spring) to play in the park at Louise/Sunshine, is all but ixnayed.

My only solace, is that I've dusted off my xc mtn bike, and gonna go for rips in Fish Creek.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Miller, I'm with you in missing it so much, but I'm not necessarily aligned in wanting to play, unless it's ok'd by the CMO.

Summer hockey is looking to be compressed also, and my favourite time (spring) to play in the park at Louise/Sunshine, is all but ixnayed.

My only solace, is that I've dusted off my xc mtn bike, and gonna go for rips in Fish Creek.
Good for you cam_wmh. Get the bike out. Before the pandemic I was getting home from work and off to kid's sports. More often didn't get to shower. Although this has been going on for awhile and I am still working, it is a difficult adjustment for me. The routine has been going for years.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

Same plan for me, hope to get more biking in without soccer\basketball to keep me active. It seems likely the sports leagues are done for the summer unfortunately.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My winter league (CAHL) has rescheduled starting up July 13th.. will wait and see if it actually happens.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Have guys even paid for the summer hockey season yet? Our summer fees are due Friday and I haven't collected a dime or even done any work regarding the team since this whole thing started.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
My winter league (CAHL) has rescheduled starting up July 13th.. will wait and see if it actually happens.
Are you saying they will restart and finish the winter season? ie finish playoffs? Or is this for summer hockey.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

All my ball hockey leagues are cancelled/postponed.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Are you saying they will restart and finish the winter season? ie finish playoffs? Or is this for summer hockey.
Winter League.

I'm guessing they don't want to refund so will try and play and if they can't will try and roll it into next season.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #11
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yea I'm not saying I want to play before it's actually "OK'd", I'm just saying I'd like to arrange my own games if it's going to take CUSA 4 weeks to put together official games, after the OK is given.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

From a football perspective, the Spring league was cancelled, as well as the WWCFL. I would expect its touch and go for Bantam football, more likely because of the economics of parents being able to pay the fees.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #13
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

School sports (high school and college) will obviously depend on whether there are classes in September. No school=no sports.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whelp I guess that settles it...public gatherings not allowed for entire summer.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:33 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That'll probably kill the Bantam football season

Guess, I'm going a year without coaching, I'm not sure if I'll go back next year now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #16
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Amazingly the CSSC has not yet cancelled their spring season yet. Our team was one that signed up in early March before this all hit. They still haven't refunded our money and have told us they are targeting a May 25 start with a shortened season. They are even sending emails encouraging people to sign up! It's so dumb - how can they possibly think we will be allowed to gather and play sports by then? They are just trying to justify not refunding everyone their fees until the last possible moment.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #17
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That'll probably kill the Bantam football season

Guess, I'm going a year without coaching, I'm not sure if I'll go back next year now.
Yea I'm pretty bummed also. Personally speaking, at 35 (almost 36), I'm really in the twilight years playing at the level I'm currently at and had planned on giving it one/maybe two more seasons because I still really enjoy competing against the youngins. Going to be a lot harder coming back to that level after a long hiatus and playing in the over 35 league doesn't tickle my fancy yet, and I don't want to admit I'm getting old.

Woah is me, I know. Sports being cancelled is going to have a huge impact on mental health. It will certainly be difficult for me, as it has always been there for me as an outlet. Heartbreaking for kids and adults alike.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Amazingly the CSSC has not yet cancelled their spring season yet. Our team was one that signed up in early March before this all hit. They still haven't refunded our money and have told us they are targeting a May 25 start with a shortened season. They are even sending emails encouraging people to sign up! It's so dumb - how can they possibly think we will be allowed to gather and play sports by then? They are just trying to justify not refunding everyone their fees until the last possible moment.
That is insane...what are they thinking? Yesterday's Government announcement solidified the fact that summer sports won't be happening. Perhaps CSSC will change their tone now?
Old 04-24-2020, 01:03 PM   #19
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
That is insane...what are they thinking? Yesterday's Government announcement solidified the fact that summer sports won't be happening. Perhaps CSSC will change their tone now?
Yeah - it's a total joke how they are handling this. I haven't heard anything since the announcement yesterday, but I wasn't the one that signed up the team this team (though I have in the past which is why I'm getting some of their correspondence). Hopefully they wise up soon. My best guess is they won't even refund us - just give future credit.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #20
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My kid is super disappointed in yesterday's announcement as it certainly means outdoor soccer is done for him this year. With a snap of the finger we took away his friends, school and all sports (hockey and soccer).

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote