Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020 Blue Jays Season Thread

Spring training is getting under way and we aren't far from the new season, so might as well get a new thread going.

Jays bolstered their rotation somewhat, but if this team is going to take a step in the right direction it's going to have to be mostly brought on by their young core of position players actually being for real.

Just a rough guess at the line up right now:

C - Jansen
1B - Shaw
2B - Biggio
3B - Vlad
SS - Bichette
LF - Gurriel
CF - Grichuk
RF - Fisher
DH - Hernandez

C - Mcguire
IF - Panik
OF - Alford
UT - Drury

SP - Ryu
SP - Anderson
SP - Roark
SP - Shoemaker
SP - Borucki

CP - Giles
RP - Bass
RP - Yamaguchi
RP - Font
RP - Dolis
RP - Pannone
RP - Gaviglio
RP - Thornton

Personally I'm really looking forward to following the Jays prospect pool this season as well. Some of the bigger names to follow:

Pitchers - Pearson, Kay, Woods-Richardson, Manoa, Kloffenstein, Luciano, Williams, Pardinho

Position players - Jordan Groshans, Orelvis Martinez, Alejandro Kirk, Gabriel Moreno, Miguel Hiraldo, Griffin Conine

I have no idea how this roster is going to fair this season, but hopefully they at least find their way to being a .500 team while being carried by the youth mostly.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Anyone else see this?

Quote:
Major League Baseball is mulling significant changes to its postseason, including increasing the number of teams from 10 to 14 and adding a reality TV-type format to determine which teams play each other in an expanded wild-card round, sources told ESPN.

MLB is considering a move in which each league would have three division winners and four wild-card teams making the postseason starting in 2022, sources said. The best team in the league would receive a bye into the division series. The two remaining division winners and the wild-card team with the best record of the four would each host all games of a best-of-three series in the opening round.

Once the teams clinch and the regular season ends, the plan gets congested:

The division winner with the second-best record would select its wild-card opponent from the three wild-card winners not hosting a series.

The division winner with the worst record would then choose its opponent from the remaining two wild-card teams.

The final matchup would pit the wild-card winner with the best record against the wild-card team not yet chosen.

All of the selections, sources said, would be unveiled live on television the Sunday night of the final regular-season games.
Those are radical changes.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...umber-teams-14
Old 02-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

These changes are really dumb. Almost all of them have been rejected by the NHL at some point. (Byes, choosing opponents etc...)

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

While I don't see a need for baseball to be tied down to tradition so much, those changes are just awful. Going to a seven team set up with best of threes is actually worse than the current six team set up with two winner-take-all play-in games. This would actually dilute the value of the playoffs.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like the gimmicky pick your opponent thing, but I don't mind there being more playoff teams.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
While I don't see a need for baseball to be tied down to tradition so much, those changes are just awful. Going to a seven team set up with best of threes is actually worse than the current six team set up with two winner-take-all play-in games. This would actually dilute the value of the playoffs.
You'd really have to make it count to be a higher seed. Like all three games in the wildcard round in the higher seeds stadium and all 5 games in the next round as well. Japan does this.

This means the lower seeded team can never set their starting rotation because there are no off days.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #7
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way, anything that will diffuse the current tank-fest in the MLB I am all for. The pick your opponent thing I can take or leave, but 14 playoff teams instead of 10? Yes yes yes.

Especially as a Jays fan, this lines up to when they should be competitive and I will happily take higher chances for Jays in the playoffs.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 08:25 AM   #8
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Sure but wildcards are dumb. If they go this route they should get rid of divisions and leagues.

Makes it like MLS. Two big conferences, east and west, top 7 get in. DH everywhere.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Sure but wildcards are dumb. If they go this route they should get rid of divisions and leagues.

Makes it like MLS. Two big conferences, east and west, top 7 get in. DH everywhere.
If they did that they’d have to shorten the schedule (which I’d be fine with) as the travel would start to get out of hand playing a more balanced schedule against teams geographically further away.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #10
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It would have to be east west.

So take the two east divisions and add 5 more.

Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati and Milwaukee?

Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #11
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Those are radical changes.
I'm pretty alright with expanding the number of playoff teams (and giving each leagues best team a bye). September baseball wouldn't be such a #### show since there would be more teams fighting for a spot in the post-season and the teams at the top who've already clinched still have a prize to fight for. Plus it's more baseball (although speaking of more baseball I think the league will have to throw a pretty big bone to the MLBPA to get them to agree... more games = more money).

Hard hard hardest of passes of the "choose your opponent" bit.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Former MLB pitcher sues Houston Astros saying the team's sign-stealing cut his career short

Mike Bolsinger.

He fell victim to the Astros cheating back in 2017, gave up 4 runs in an appearance for the Jays and was then sent down for good.

Quote:
Bolsinger was called in during the Blue Jays game against the Astros on August 4, 2017, after prior pitchers on his team gave up several runs, the lawsuit states. He gave up four runs while pitching and "was immediately terminated and cut from the team never to return to Major League Baseball again."
Old 02-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think that is highly unlikely to succeed if it went to trial. Frankly I think the best he could hope for is a small settlement for him to drop the case to avoid the publicity, depositions and discovery.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The more public embarrassment and reminders of this cheating scandal for the Astros and Red Sox the better, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #15
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I hope both teams get absolutely pummeled with signs and chants all season in opposing stadiums. You know Yankee Stadium is going to be relentless on the Red Sox this year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well the Astros second series this season is against the Angels in Anaheim. I wonder if Dodgers' fans will make the trip over to Anaheim? In fact 12 of their first 14 games are on the road which should be fun. No interleague matchup between the Astros and Dodgers this year, which as a sports fan sucks and is a missed opportunity for the MLB as it would be an absolute ratings bonanza (I realise the schedule came out in August 2019 before all of this came to light).
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #17
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...-john-surgery/

Blue Jays pitching prospect Eric Pardinho undergoes Tommy John surgery
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #18
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That sucks.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #19
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn. Yeah thats too bad, but he's young and will likely come back from it. Plus he's not nearly the only bullet the Jays have in the chamber, as far as high end pitching prospects go.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 PM   #20
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yikes, Canadian media hasn't picked up on it yet but story circulating in local florida media that Reese McGuire was arrested for exposing himself in a dunedin parking lot today.

https://youtu.be/NQXr96HcYYo

Not many details out there and you hope dude was just taking a leak wasted in the middle of the night and not some kind of creeper otherwise they might need a new backup catcher.

Regardless of the two unfortunate stories today, excited for camp and to check out the new ballpark in Dunedin this year.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote