Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #41
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my expereince, F1 is very easy to stream illigally, probably easier then any other sport I have tried.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #42
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-Season testing Day 1 in Barcelona.

Mercedes 1-2. and I really hate the name AlphaTauri. Sounds like canned spaghetti to me.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...ysYj4BPhX.html

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 02-19-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://jalopnik.com/two-days-into-f...fin-1841808423

OK, this is really cool. To bad a team like McLaren didn't come up with it though. Ferrari is not going to be pleased. I can just picture Horner's expression seeing this...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #44
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://jalopnik.com/two-days-into-f...fin-1841808423

OK, this is really cool. To bad a team like McLaren didn't come up with it though. Ferrari is not going to be pleased. I can just picture Horner's expression seeing this...
I just saw that and wow...that is definitely not legal...but it is very cool. It's clearly changing the suspension under motion as the tires increase/decrease the toe angle. I'm just scratching my brain trying to figure out how they do it.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be great seeing Ocon on the grid again
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
I just saw that and wow...that is definitely not legal...but it is very cool. It's clearly changing the suspension under motion as the tires increase/decrease the toe angle. I'm just scratching my brain trying to figure out how they do it.
I dunno, form the article:

Quote:
That said, Mercedes has claimed that the FIA is fully aware of its dual-axis steering system, as per Autosport. Does that mean that the FIA is okay with it? We don’t know quite yet, but it sounds like it. Mercedes’s technical chief James Allison says that the system fully complies with all the regulations, that the team had worked closely with the FIA to make sure everything was kosher.

I giggle at a German company saying something technical like this is kosher.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I was just reading about this on Motorsport. Fascinating stuff. And people complain the cars and designs aren’t cutting edge anymore and won’t be with the new regs. This is ####ing crazy!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #48
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think all teams "check-in" with the FIA on advancements like this. Pretty sure Ferrari did it with their engines last year. If IIRC they will let you test it etc but won't commit until they issue a technical directive on whatever your testing.

I'm guessing that the driver pushing/pulling the wheel will actually move the rack and pinion which then moves the tie-rods. This then toes in/out the wheel a set amount. That, IMO, is changing both aerodynamics (air flow over the tire) and suspension (toe angle) under motion. Will certainly be interesting to see if legal.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #49
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I read that motorsport article. I still don't like it. It is a grey area between suspension and steering components and being able to change steering only (in multi axis and at different rates). But...they're still changing the toe angle, which is absolutely a suspension variable (and steering, and arguably aerodynamic as well).

So I think Merc will run with it in Oz and someone will protest for sure. That then forces the FIA to make a concrete decision.

I'd love to hear how much they think it'll help. I think their goal is improving high speed corners and straight-line speed.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #50
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So I read that motorsport article. I still don't like it. It is a grey area between suspension and steering components and being able to change steering only (in multi axis and at different rates). But...they're still changing the toe angle, which is absolutely a suspension variable (and steering, and arguably aerodynamic as well).

So I think Merc will run with it in Oz and someone will protest for sure. That then forces the FIA to make a concrete decision.

I'd love to hear how much they think it'll help. I think their goal is improving high speed corners and straight-line speed.
I say good on them for trying. Best team in the sport is continuing to innovate.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #51
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So what about the 2020 Racing Point design? I guess if you're going to copy someone it may as well be the class of the field. I'm actually surprised it took them this long to down this path like Haas and Alpha have done in years past.

DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #52
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

5 min interview with Racing Point Technical Director. This kind of content is top notch. And props to the RP guy for such a candid interview.

He explains in detail the philosophy behind the 2020 car and the accusations they’ve been getting illegal help (or stole) from Merc.

https://streamable.com/br8h3

Edit: Lol. Good timing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 02-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I had read one of the benefits is by straightening the wheels on the straights they reduce tire wear, which makes sense. It cold also be used to increase friction and warm up the tires quicker.

I'm not convinced toe angle is suspension, or that it would be considered an aero part. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they get to keep it. I kinda think they should. Bizarre innovation like this is what keeps the cars interesting.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #54
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would agree that Toe really is a steering variable not a suspension variable.

Very innovative idea. I too hope they get to keep it but i am sure it will be protested by the other teams to give them a chance to try and come up with their own version.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #55
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It requires all 10 teams’ approval to make a mid season change. No way this is going anywhere before 2021.

As of 2021 tho not only is this already banned but changes require a unanimous vote minus 1 team. So this type of thing will become much easier to fix in the future.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #56
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that's the grey area, toe will definitely change how the car handles and steers. It increases/decreases the frontal surface area which changes drag and aero flow over the tire and subsequently barge boards/side pods. It also changes the contact patch (tire wear). It doesn't need to change very much but these teams are chasing 0.01s...

But is doesn't change any of the shape, length, connection points to the suspension.

It truly is brilliant, dont get me wrong. It is one of the few times we get to see such incredible innovation so clearly. The f-duct was also cool. Lol.

@Cecil...I think that 10 team approval is for a rule change only, correct?? I think this change just needs a protest under a race and to have a steward agree with the protest. How is it already banned in 2021, did they say no moveable steering linkage?

I also read that Merc could totally be playing headgames with the rest of the paddock. They could be running it anyways to completely distract the other teams. If thats the case, that is also awesome. #intrigue
Old 02-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #57
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how long they have been sitting on this technology. I would imagine it has been a few years at least.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:06 AM   #58
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol. It's totally going to be allowed this year...

@Cecil, just read the Motorsport article on rules for 2021 and it being banned: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/d...1-fia/4690176/

A new Article 10.5 of F1's Technical Regulations states: "The re-alignment of the steered wheels, as defined by the position of the inboard attachment of the relevant suspensions members that remain a fixed distance from each other, must be uniquely defined by a monotonic function of the rotational position of a single steering wheel."

I think I'm coming around to it. It really is no different than changing the brake bias, through the steering wheel. That changes how the car will rotate through a corner as a result of the change. The changes to aero + suspension will change with the toe as a result of changing the steering angle of each wheel.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #59
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how durable it is? I can see Mercedes losing a few cars this season due to a malfunction.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #60
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure would be cool to see Williams actually compete in the midfield this year. Especially with such a likeable driver lineup.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: