Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #741
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't mind the ratio. I want to see U Sports Football grow, and see those athletes get a chance to play pro. Hopefully the talent gap is decreasing over time. Football was a big deal in London when I went to Western, and it would be great to see that atmosphere build across the country. My dad played for Queens in the 60s. The "Panda" game in Ottawa used to be wild - Ottawa vs. Carleton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_Game

Attendance is declining in Ontario:
https://westerngazette.ca/sports/the...a745d4630.html

I definitely support an earlier season that would end around Thanksgiving.

Last edited by troutman; 11-20-2020 at 02:55 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #742
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I am totally against changing to 4 down ball, it would create a grinding style of game like the NFL has. 4 down football rewards a cautious OC, where as the 3 down game rewards risk taken and a more open playbook situationally.

I don't disagree with the ratio change, however, I do strongly believe that we should change the ratio around Canadians in skilled positions, receivers, running backs, DB's, maybe LB'ers. Create a true ratio breaking concept.

Find a way to improve the development and opportunities for Canadian QB's. make them a real ratio breaker. A starting Canadian QB should literally be worth any one national to me.

I'm a proponent of the ratio because it supports Canadian Amateur football. There's been a stark improvement of Canadian players over the past decade, especially in those ration breaking positions. We're hiding less terrible players because we have to (I'm looking at you Mr Field goal holding substandard safety Glenn Suitor).

I'd like to see the CFL shift its schedule back to take advantage of the warm weather season. We usually see a attendance dip when the weather drops.

CFL teams should do a better job of reaching younger generations. There are plenty of seats that are open for Stamps games in the upper row, find a way to better reach out to schools and football programs and underprivileged youth to get them into the stands.

Start a Campaign to bring Captain Crunch onto the sidelines of a team to call one series of plays. You know you all want it.

When I was younger and playing pee wee hockey, I remember my teammates and I were able to be part of a youth Stamps club for $30 a year. We got to go to every home game, we were able to shake hands with the players and coaches before kick off. It was an amazing experience. I was already a CFL fan at that point, but I know some of my teammates that were not fans that became fans after that experience. Hopefully the Stamps and other CFL teams are doing things like that to get the youngin's into the CFL.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #743
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Add on, the NFL really doesn't want or need a feeder league. There are a lot of players coming into the draft every year, so many that they don't need to worry about developing a player that can't get by in training camp.

Plus they have large practice rosters, and its cheaper for them to run those and control the development as oppossed to supporting a feeder league that they would have to monitor.

About the only feeder concept that they would probably want is for QB's. But then they would demand 4 down football on a smaller field and pass.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #744
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Four downs? No thanks; it’s part of what makes this game so exciting.

Feeder league? Nope. I grew up with the Canadian game in the ‘60s and that would be a complete move away from the historical aspect of the game. Yeah, we get a lot of movement to the NFL but that’s not the solution, in my opinion.

Add more Americans? I could see a couple added but I want an opportunity for the best Canadians to play pro. I know the game would be better with more Americans but at the cost of jobs for Canadians? Pass.

Move the season up? That one I can support.

I’ve been a season-ticket holder for decades and a movement toward the American game would end my relationship, I’m afraid. There are other changes that could be made to bring more fans into stadia.
The problem is that their season ticket holders, and perhaps fans overall, are aging.
I think this is there moment to evolve, otherwise they will not make it.
What the evolution should look like though - I'm not sure.
(moving the season up is a no brainer, but this league has historically not even done the no brainer stuff that it should)
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #745
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Football in Canada is dying. However it is not in the US. Both from a fan and youth participation perspective. Canadians are increasingly in love with US football.

I do think changes to the cfl may be inevitable if it is to survive. Be it ratio or eventual fundamental changes like going to 4 downs or becoming a feeder league.

Will it mean it is no longer the cfl? Maybe. But that’s the reality of survival IMO.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #746
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I could live with ratio changes, but I would be very upset to change to a 4 down league.

The pandemic has been starting to really get to me the last few weeks, but just seeing the schedule announcement today gave me such a shot of optimism and hope for a return to normalcy that it completely turned around my day. I know there’s still a long way to go, but just knowing that there is CFL to look forward to fills my soul with so much happiness.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #747
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to four downs, in my opinion, only makes our game like American football for the NFL fans. You won’t win them over anyway. Keep the Canadian game Canadian. Doing otherwise kills it. Keeping it unique is it’s only chance, in my opinion.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #748
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason why the NFL is watchable is that they are playing more of a CFL style nowadays.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #749
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ratio
The ratio is only a problem due to the salaries associated with the ratio.

A Canadian just has to be good not great and he can ask for a kings ransom, which leaves less money for a great American player. Which leads to players moving on from team to team and not relating to the market or heading to the NFL to hang around on practise rosters.

If you reduce the ratio I think you're increasing the problem. Now that same good player will ask for an even bigger piece of pie since you still have to start them but now they think they're worth even more due to few of them being used.

How do you fix the salary problem? I'm not sure to be honest. NBA has a cap on player salary, they can make certain amount of the cap, same with the NHL. If you do that in the CFL then the QB salary has to come way down which may or may not be a great thing.

It's a good thing because CFL isn't a league where any player should be making $700K+ for a season. That will not be sustainable. The bad think is $300K might not be worth for a QB to stick around with the XFL coming around again and again.

They need to find a happy medium, maybe not cap QB salaries or cap it at $500K and have remaining player salaries capped at a lower amount, like $200K but the PA will blow a gasket over this but basically you need to control National salaries.

Numbers of Downs
The CFL needs to stay with 3 downs, thats what makes it unique. 4 downs isn't necessary any more exciting. With more and more coaches going for it on 4th down in the NFL the defences really have no chance. That's why teams are giving up record yards. The game has to be fair, in the NFL it really isn't fair to defensive players right now.

3 downs also gives teams a lot more possessions and probability of a back and forth scoring increases. The probability of comebacks, more exciting games, last second wins all increase.

Shorter season and/or move it up
I'd be more for a shorter season and move it up as well. 6 out of 9 teams make the playoffs, do you need 18 games to determine which 6 are the best? No, don't think so.

This ties back to capping salaries, if you have a shorter season you can afford to offer reduce salaries. Teams like Sask and Win will be against this since they want to generate as much as they can from their new parks but couple extra games aren't going to make a difference especially when the operating cost is high too.

Again this is a bit of outside the box thinking that the CFL, teams, players will likely not even consider.

3 Other things to consider for attracting younger generation:
- Make contracts longer, at least 2 years plus restricted rights for another year. If you want to grow the fan base amongst the youth then they need a player who's on their roster for longer than a year.

-I've said this before stop living in stone age. Besides the major sports, Golf / Cricket / Snowboarding / Skateboarding / UFC etc etc all have video games. CFL NEEDS A VIDEO GAME and a proper one. I tried playing what they made for phones, it was awful. Spend the money and get on that, partner with an upcoming firm if its not EA.

-Fantasy Football. They had a lame platform with TSN. What other league uses TSN for fantasy purposes? No one. Plus the game was no good. They need to get on Yahoo for a similar experience like the NFL.

Sorry for the long post.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #750
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There was a CFL PC game in development a few years ago using the Madden engine, but there's just not a big enough consumer market in Canada for it to gain the attention of development funding and it ended up being a few guys building it as a hobby.

https://www.bardown.com/there-is-a-n...nd-pc-1.820927

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #751
Lightrain
Draft Pick

Default 50 years ago Nov 22 possibly the greatest Stamps game ever

Excellent coverage

https://leaderpost.com/sports/footba...an-roughriders

then from Stamps
https://www.stampeders.com/2013/11/1...yoff-memories/

or from the other side

https://leaderpost.com/sports/footba...he-roughriders
Lightrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #752
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

CFL Draft order released.

How is it that the last Grey Cup winner picks 3rd?

Spoilered for size.

Spoiler!
Old 11-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #753
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I don't think this will ever happen (especially in the current economic climate), but I wish a Canadian network (let's say CBC for argument's sake) would start broadcasting U Sports football games (at a minimum, stream them on-line). I don't think there's much appreciation for the quality of football and entertainment value that's on display at the Canadian college level and it certainly couldn't hurt making these games widely available.
Agreed. This is something that is badly needed in the Canadian football landscape. A weekly game(s) of the week that shows off games from the different conferences at least gets the product to be more accessible to the general public.

The CFL does not matter at all to young people. And the league will die if cannot generate new fans. They need to do anything they can to get those that do care and watch the NFL, to also give attention to the CFL, that's at least local and within their community.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #754
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone has to pay for those broadcasts. Either there’s enough viewers for the network to make money (unlikely) or the u league has to pay (unlikely)
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #755
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The Score used to show Usports. Does 360 still show some games?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #756
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
3 Other things to consider for attracting younger generation:
-I've said this before stop living in stone age. Besides the major sports, Golf / Cricket / Snowboarding / Skateboarding / UFC etc etc all have video games. CFL NEEDS A VIDEO GAME and a proper one. I tried playing what they made for phones, it was awful. Spend the money and get on that, partner with an upcoming firm if its not EA.
You're right that the CFL having a video game presence on the major consoles -that's actually good quality - would help in building new fans. Playing football and hockey games on the original Playstation definitely had a big impact in me becoming a fan of the NFL and NHL respectively. But as Cap mentioned, there's just more market whatsoever for a standalone game, and there will be no investment for a video game company to get funding to build one that will get good ROI.

The only avenue I think is that CFL has to have the league added into Madden, like the CHL and other hockey leagues are into EA NHL. The CFL would probably have to actually be paying Madden to do this also since there's no actual gain or benefit to EA to do it on their own terms. But for the CFL, it would be worth the investment since you're getting free exposure of the league to millions of gamers. And the quality of the game is not a concern; so no worry about the game making the CFL look cheap.

Young Canadian kids being able to play the Stamps in McMahon Stadium will make them have a stronger affiliation with the CFL, and take it more seriously since it's in the same game that features the NFL. And it could also lead to more Americans giving interest to the league since they've come across it.

Maybe the CFL has already attempted this, and been shut down. But this is something that they should be desperately wanting to make happen.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #757
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The Score used to show Usports. Does 360 still show some games?
Don't believe so. Last year's Vanier Cup was streamed via CBC.ca. (Think it was last minute, and they didn't have someone lined up in advance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Someone has to pay for those broadcasts. Either there’s enough viewers for the network to make money (unlikely) or the u league has to pay (unlikely)
CBC does seem to be the only one that would be willing to do this since they focus on amateur sports broadcasts. They do track & field, ski events, gymnastics, and I'm sure others.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:40 PM   #758
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Don't believe so. Last year's Vanier Cup was streamed via CBC.ca. (Think it was last minute, and they didn't have someone lined up in advance)

CBC does seem to be the only one that would be willing to do this since they focus on amateur sports broadcasts. They do track & field, ski events, gymnastics, and I'm sure others.
And CBC does it because they are publicly funded and have always showcased amateur talent and it may be a edict as part of the funding for CBC sports to show the Canadian content, even at a net production expense loss. It will take CBC a few years to grow the CPL showing games every second week, and if the CPL then wants them to give the league more money for popularity, CBC may just back off.

Don't see much if anything amateurwise on TSN or RSN for all their "We are your home town and national Sports network"

But, from junior hockey to all sorts of USports, to whatever iteration women hockey is going to be pushed onto networks when that starts up, there's a lot of sports that could get a lot of visibility but limited demand that would attract sponsors needed to pay for the production of a broadcast or stream.

The support used to come locally from showcasing on the local news, and then that pushed interest up, but with local news now just repackaged national news, that grass roots support upwards from local news media has died the last decade or so.

Last edited by browna; 11-22-2020 at 08:46 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #759
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Future expansion would be nice to see - then maybe you could reduce the ratio too.

12 teams would be more interesting than 9. Halifax, Quebec City, London. Maybe Okanagan or Victoria.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #760
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Future expansion would be nice to see - then maybe you could reduce the ratio too.

12 teams would be more interesting than 9. Halifax, Quebec City, London. Maybe Okanagan or Victoria.

KW region is as big as London as well. Lots of places they could go.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote