Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2019/2020 Roughnecks Season Thread

I picked up tickets for Dec 21st, home opener.

We are bringing family with us from Colorado, which is perfect as the 'necks play the Mammoth.

My son and I are going to try and get to as many games as possible this season. I am always amazed at the price vs entertainment of the Roughnecks.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Exhibition game last night between those two teams...Colorado won, but it was definitely a story of guys recoonecting and coaches trying guys out in diffeent situations.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No Jesse King in the lineup, thought Dickson (sorry, C. Dickson) looked as good as he did last year. Good game by Bell, the rookies looked decent. Tyrell had a couple. All in all, a good effort. Not at all worried about the loss. I heard the gate was 12000+ for a pre-season game, the Dome was rockin'.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
No Jesse King in the lineup, thought Dickson (sorry, C. Dickson) looked as good as he did last year. Good game by Bell, the rookies looked decent. Tyrell had a couple. All in all, a good effort. Not at all worried about the loss. I heard the gate was 12000+ for a pre-season game, the Dome was rockin'.

Yeah I think the 21st will be a good night.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Season opener in Vancouver, free to watch on B/R Live for the first couple weeks of the season. Biz Nasty out there as the Warriors ambassador for the season, which is some great marketing. Warriors also playing in Rogers Arena, big step up from Langley. Hope for a good crowd, big lacrosse scene in the lower mainland to tap into.

Go Necks Go!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the Biz Nasty segment at half time of last night's game was cringey and low class even for Vancouver. I'm glad I didn't have children watching with me.

On the game side, the Roughnecks look extremely strong again this year. Even with letting up at the end they still won easily. Our goalie is incredible.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definitely a nice change from the slow start they've had the last few seasons. I agree, CDB is incredible, he's a rock solid foundation for the team for years to come I hope. Dobbie gets better with age, which is amazing considering how punishing lacrosse can be.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team got on a role last year when Jesse King got in the lineup. He was exactly the type of player they needed up front. Tough away from the ball, tenacious to create turnovers and lots of skill.
He doesn't get a ton of points every game, but he is a huge reason why the team's offense is working.
And for my money CDB is the most important player in the franchise. Already an elite goalie and still incredibly young. Arguably the best pick they've ever made.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Dobbie is suspended for 5 games and the NLL won't say why. This is such bull####.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1203402511408697344
Old 12-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I don't know, my "read between the lines" meter is reading this is likely better for the player.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Calgary Sun is reporting 6 games.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #12
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don't know, my "read between the lines" meter is reading this is likely better for the player.
It's nothing as nefarious at that. He received a match penalty at the end of last game. Because he is a repeat offender the punishment goes up a crazy amount. It's just more silliness from the nll
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to showtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #13
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So by the looks of the game sheet 44 was assessed a match penalty at the 15 min mark of the 4th quarter looks like it may have been added after the fact as I was watching the game and saw nothing at the end of it.

The statement is complete BS. if they it is a match penalty and because of the repeat office gets the automatic 5 game bump on top of that.

This is the Captain of the team and the leading goal scorer.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is not a lot out there about this. But Stephen Stamp posted this:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...c-d-up-p/55659

"Dobbie was retroactively given a gross misconduct penalty, which carries with it a match penalty and the attendant one- or two-game suspension. The league assessed him a one-game suspension for that infraction.

The kicker, of course, was that Dobbie had received a match penalty for facemasking in a game against Saskatchewan almost two years ago, on January 27, 2018. That penalty was also applied after review: Dobbie took a facemasking minor four and a half minutes into the game and went on to score 2 goals and 5 assists, including scoring a goal with a minute to play to force overtime in a game the Roughnecks eventually lost 13-12.

As a repeat offender, Dobbie was automatically slapped with an additional five-game suspension. Naturally, with the league's reigning MVP set to miss one-third of Calgary's 18-game schedule for an offence that viewers didn't see happen, there were plenty of questions and second guessing.

I wrote to the league to ask if there would be an announcement about why the penalty was imposed. They replied quickly with the following.

"This is a private matter that has been resolved by including everyone involved. We consider this closed and are not going to comment further on any details. The resulting judgment came from the input of all involved and speaks for itself. There will be no further comment." - Nick Sakiewicz, Commissioner

To say the least, that did not satisfy fans, media or anyone else who follows the league closely. Rumours will swirl. I don't know exactly what happened but I do have it from a good source that the penalty arose from something that Dobbie said post-game.

That raises many questions that I think the league would be better off answering than sweeping under the rug, for reasons both of credibility and pragmatism."
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So the credibility of the league should be called into question completely. Did Dane say something very un profesional to the officials at the end of game and the refs get their hackles up because they were questioned several times in the game? The officials are bad in the NHL at times but it is down right embarrassment in the NLL even with the extra official on the floor this past year.

I don’t for a second believe that the league is picking winners but it doesn’t take a lot of tin foil for it to look like that without a real explanation.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Foot Soldiers are organizing an outing to the Feb 8 game against New York. From my experience, Roughnecks games are quite entertaining and it would be the most accepting of chanting and singing. We're going to try and get into a section in the 200s that is largely empty so that we don't piss off the regulars too much.

Super pumped for it!

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #17
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Home opener this weekend, can't wait to see them raise the banner. Picked up a few more tickets for family today, looking like it will be a healthy crowd.

Haven't heard anything about a PLPA appeal for Dobbie, but the Necks have to find a way to have him participate in the banner raising.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Home opener this weekend, can't wait to see them raise the banner. Picked up a few more tickets for family today, looking like it will be a healthy crowd.

Haven't heard anything about a PLPA appeal for Dobbie, but the Necks have to find a way to have him participate in the banner raising.
Yeah we have family coming in from Denver for Christmas, making them come and watch the banner raising seemed like the right thing to do.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The Foot Soldiers are organizing an outing to the Feb 8 game against New York. From my experience, Roughnecks games are quite entertaining and it would be the most accepting of chanting and singing. We're going to try and get into a section in the 200s that is largely empty so that we don't piss off the regulars too much.

Super pumped for it!
It might be difficult to get a good song going with music always playing.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #20
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Went to the town hall on Wednesday night. Mike Moore, Mike Board, Dan Taylor and Sean Tyrrell.

First two questions were about Dobbie, firm no comment from management. Sean Tyrrell indicated that DD would still be around the team, talked about listening to what he has to say between halves. Talked about the big breaks in the schedule and the back to back next weekend. Apparently their flight lands at 18:15 on the 28th after playing in San Diego the night before. They play at 20:00. Tight turn. The 19:30 starts this season are to accommodate early games on BR Live, basically they are trying to pick up viewership on a doubleheader. (As an aside, I really appreciate the BR Live subscription they give STH. I use it a ton for road games)

They'd like to see an Edmonton team eventually but they are happy being "Alberta's team". There was a meeting between all the west division teams before the season to share best practices and exchange ideas. Sounds like the new league leadership is really gaining some traction.

All in all a good session, super pumped for the banner raising tonight.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post: