Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #21
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Only issue I see with this is now teams have seen Tulane fake a play on a kneel down formation. When they line up to do it again (kneel down) teams are going to come hard. The O linemen better be ready and the QB should expect to get drilled. Nice play and they caught Houston asleep but there is also a downside to this - they have potentially put their players at risk.

But this is why I love college ball and loath the NFL. You never know what you are going to see, anything can happen at any time.
Exactly. Can't wait for the nose tackle to jump over the centre and cripple the qb. This is a bull#### play by Tulane.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #22
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Exactly. Can't wait for the nose tackle to jump over the centre and cripple the qb. This is a bull#### play by Tulane.
Doubtful. How often is the situation that a team is faking a knee instead of taking it to overtime? 99% of victory formation is when you're up and ending the game. Not a concern.

A concern? Michigan unsurprisingly getting curbstomped by Wisconsin. If Patterson comes out as the QB in the second half you may have a mass fan revolt. Rough game to watch.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I hate the CBS colour guy. It’s been 2 or 3 years and I still can’t believe he defended that POS RB for the Sooners. Called him a stand up guy. Scumbag. I wish this was on ABC. Now that Vern’s retired my go to college PBP guy is Chris Fowler, even if it means we also get Herbstreit. Or on NBC with Flutie doing colour for Tirico.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #24
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge game, go Irish!!

Don't overly like their odds, but should be fun nonetheless...I think
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Huge game, go Irish!!

Don't overly like their odds, but should be fun nonetheless...I think
I want to be positive. But when was the last time the Irish didn’t rip my heart out in a big game vs top 5/10?

Last time vs Georgia. Miami...ugh don’t remind me, I was there. Florida St, Clemson in the last few years too.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty exciting game so far Despite the score IMO.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say watching big college games like this is brutal though. 2 hours 20 minutes in and there is still 6:20 left in third quarter...
Old 09-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #28
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I will say watching big college games like this is brutal though. 2 hours 20 minutes in and there is still 6:20 left in third quarter...
You wrote “frikkin awesome” wrong. Commercial? Flip to Texas and OK State. Commercial there? SJS and Arkansas. Still need something else? #PAC12afterDark with UCLA and Wazzu just started. College football Saturdays rule even when my team gets boat raced.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 05:16 AM   #29
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
You wrote “frikkin awesome” wrong. Commercial? Flip to Texas and OK State. Commercial there? SJS and Arkansas. Still need something else? #PAC12afterDark with UCLA and Wazzu just started. College football Saturdays rule even when my team gets boat raced.
Maybe the most absurd football game ever played.

Wazzu qb throws 9 TD's and were ahead by 32 pts in the 2nd half...and they lose.

The stats from this game are absolutely bonkers.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401114215
Old 09-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #30
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Maybe the most absurd football game ever played.

Wazzu qb throws 9 TD's and were ahead by 32 pts in the 2nd half...and they lose.

The stats from this game are absolutely bonkers.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401114215
41-61, 570 yards and 9 TD passes in a losing effort.

Last year Washington State rushed for 0 yards one game. Mike Leach can’t be accused on not fielding entertaining teams.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:51 AM   #31
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my learnings after week four:

1. The ACC is really, really bad. Outside of Clemson they all pretty much such, and some people actually have the conference ranked below some of the Group of Five conferences in terms of overall ability. The upside for Clemson is they should roll through the rest of their schedule and likely finish undefeated setting them up for a playoff spot. The downside is they won't really be tested. Also, they are effectively playing a elimination playoff game every week from here on in. With such a weak schedule even one loss would really do harm to their playoff chances.

2. The PAC 12 is overall probably the most balanced conference. Unfortunately they don't seem to have one or two elite teams like the other conferences and the effect is they are cannibalizing themselves. The top teams have all lost once now and it's only week 4. The conference still has an outside shot at at playoff but someone needs to run the table and then hope a 1 loss team is good enough to get in (for example if Clemson somehow loses).

2. Ohio State has played a weak schedule but looks ridiculously good right now. Their biggest hurdle is Wisconsin who they get at home this year. Keep up with how they are playing now and they look good at a playoff spot. Wisconsin also looks really good.

3. Notre Dame is better than I thought. Run the table the rest of the way and get a little help and having one loss (to Georgia) doesn't look so bad anymore. They still have a shot at a playoff.

4. the SEC has three really good teams (maybe four) but something has to give. LSU, Auburn, and Alabama all play each other ans someone is going to lose. The winners will be in the drivers seat to the playoffs but how does a one loss team look? Counting Georgia there could be several one loss teams in the SEC this year, does the committee take one of them over a one loss team from another conference?

Still much to be determined and it's way to early to speculate (but so much fun to do so!). As always almost everything will shake out over time and the picture becomes more clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Its not like Clemson had a tough schedule last year and still won the National Championship easily.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:59 AM   #33
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
^^ Its not like Clemson had a tough schedule last year and still won the National Championship easily.
No arguement there. Clemson is a very good team, they just won't really be tested from here on in. Plenty of time to tune up their already impressive game but they have zero room for stumbling this year.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #34
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Heading down to the Swamp next weekend to cheer on Auburn, it's going to be a huge SEC matchup. I've never been to a game down there, wish it was a night game but will probably be CBS 3:30 EST game. WAR EAGLE!
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pria(kin)16 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is bizarre but maybe the start of a trend (?).
Houston starting QB and receiver are redshirting the remainder of the season but say they are not entering the transfer portal and will return next year.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t-19-redshirts
Old 09-27-2019, 11:49 PM   #36
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

And down goes Cal, the last undefeated team in the PAC12. Top to bottom this might be the most balanced conference in the country.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #37
vennegoor of hesselink
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know nothing about college football, should I go to the Georgia Tech-Georgia game when i'm in Atlanta at the end of November?

I would call myself a casual CFL/NFL fan.

vennegoor of hesselink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #38
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennegoor of hesselink View Post
I know nothing about college football, should I go to the Georgia Tech-Georgia game when i'm in Atlanta at the end of November?

Yes. A college football game is not going to watch a game, it's having an experience. Get to campus early. I don't know if the tailgating there is as crazy as some of the other places, but it will likely still be a cool experience.

The game will likely be Georgia destroying Georgia Tech. A college football game is the best non Flames playoffs game experience I've had at live sports.

Last edited by nik-; 09-28-2019 at 12:55 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #39
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennegoor of hesselink View Post

Yes...college football games are amazing.

Sooooo much more energy than most any sporting event.

As nik mentioned, go really early...like if its a 3:00 game go down at 11 or 12.

Tailgating on another level in every place I have gone.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #40
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Does Bama ever play road games?