Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I don’t believe in minor midget that you play esso unless that changed this year.
Looks like AA does participate but AAA (including minor midget) do not.

Any yes, Friday practices are the worst for focus and execution and it only get's worse as they get older it seems. In general when they are struggling I agree with simplifying the drills and also run some high energy ones that maybe don't require a lot of skill/complexity but get them moving. Races, relays etc.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what is throwing me off is I went to the HC website, then went to the EMHW website and noted that they had listing for Minor Midget and then listed all of the teams in the province.

can't see how our team would be in it given we only have one game this weekend and are then in lethbridge for a tourney next weekend.

as far as I know AA is controlled by HC while AAA leagues are run by hockey alberta
Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
what is throwing me off is I went to the HC website, then went to the EMHW website and noted that they had listing for Minor Midget and then listed all of the teams in the province.

can't see how our team would be in it given we only have one game this weekend and are then in lethbridge for a tourney next weekend.

as far as I know AA is controlled by HC while AAA leagues are run by hockey alberta
I'm looking at the ESMH website as I type this and do not see any listing for minor midget. (?) Only AA. I've never heard of a AAA team participating, there just are not enough of them to make a tournament.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am sure i saw minor midget there this morning - but nonetheless it is gone now
Old 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #25
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default 10-year-old's suspension by Hockey Alberta being called 'heavy-handed'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...hler-1.4483923
Quote:
10-year-old's suspension by Hockey Alberta being called 'heavy-handed'

Bryce Kohler would like nothing more than to lace up his skates and get back on the ice with his hockey team, the CR Knights.

But the 10-year-old from Calahoo, Alta., about 20 kilometres north of Edmonton, has been suspended indefinitely by Hockey Alberta for playing in two different leagues at the same time.

Kohler started the season playing in his local minor hockey association with the Atom 1 CR Knights. He broke the rules when he also started playing hockey with Team Revolution Hockey out of Leduc, Alta.

Somebody reported it to Hockey Alberta and Kohler was suspended from his minor hockey team.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, I don't get this either - who cares if the kid wants to play for 6 teams.

like a friend of mine said, if my kid went to 6 piano teachers who would say anything.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #27
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Quote:
personally, I don't get this either - who cares if the kid wants to play for 6 teams.

like a friend of mine said, if my kid went to 6 piano teachers who would say anything.
It confuses me.

He isn't playing for 2 minor hockey associations.

He is playing for his minor hockey association and essentially a year long "spring" team, which isn't under the umbrella of Hockey Alberta.

It appears that Hockey Alberta is grumpy that "spring" teams are moving into the winter season. If that is the case they only have themselves to blame.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #28
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
My son is first year Novice 4 and very much looking forward to this week!

I'll echo the above comments that all of a sudden the teams effort and give a crap seem to be suffering. I'm assuming it's due back to school and dead of winter blahs creeping in. The last practice was a mess and only having three of us on the ice didn't help. Any advice from more experienced coaches?

Hopefully they shake it and go on a bit of a run.
Scream at the players about their lacklustre effort and throw your stick up into the stands.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #29
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good start to Minor Hockey Week. We got the bye into round two and took advantage winning 4-1. Pretty decent effort. The kids like to play a little flat in the first, they got 2 yesterday so that was nice.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #30
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It confuses me.

He isn't playing for 2 minor hockey associations.

He is playing for his minor hockey association and essentially a year long "spring" team, which isn't under the umbrella of Hockey Alberta.

It appears that Hockey Alberta is grumpy that "spring" teams are moving into the winter season. If that is the case they only have themselves to blame.
Rules are pretty clear on this and a similar league tried to start up in Calgary IIRC and they backed down on the games part if memory serves (I think the kids still practice during the winter). I'm fine with this ruling, the parents knew what the repercussions were and choose to put their kid in the league anyway. I feel bad for the kid but the family really has no one to blame but themselves. The spring leagues, and these same leagues moving into winter do indeed threaten the development model put forward by Hockey Canada and implemented by the provincial hockey authorities on their behalf. These leagues were/are threatening to undermine much of what has been done. I don't have a problem putting your kid in them if that is your choice, but there is no way Hockey Alberta (or BC, Manitoba, etc.) can sanction them and still follow through on their model for development. So choose one of the other, you cannot have both as a parent/player.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Rules are pretty clear on this and a similar league tried to start up in Calgary IIRC and they backed down on the games part if memory serves (I think the kids still practice during the winter). I'm fine with this ruling, the parents knew what the repercussions were and choose to put their kid in the league anyway. I feel bad for the kid but the family really has no one to blame but themselves. The spring leagues, and these same leagues moving into winter do indeed threaten the development model put forward by Hockey Canada and implemented by the provincial hockey authorities on their behalf. These leagues were/are threatening to undermine much of what has been done. I don't have a problem putting your kid in them if that is your choice, but there is no way Hockey Alberta (or BC, Manitoba, etc.) can sanction them and still follow through on their model for development. So choose one of the other, you cannot have both as a parent/player.
To be clear I am no advocate of Spring hockey. I dislike the current set up of it and believe it should be under Hockey Alberta.

That being said, he isn't playing in another league he is playing on a tournament team. The website decribes the league as:

Quote:
League Format
League games will take place in a Showcase format, meaning that each of the teams will play four games over the course of a weekend at least once a month.
Is it the practicing that is the issue?

Is it the playing in the tournament that is the issue?

Or is it that a minor hockey alternative it creeping into Hockey Alberta's pocket.

I would be floored if this was the only kids that was doing both.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #32
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't think it is the practicing, there are other programs that practice in the winter as well. But perhaps they get around that by technically not being an actual team but rather a 'development' program.

I think the issue with Hockey Alberta (and Hockey BC, Hockey Manitoba, etc. etc.) is the lack of control over games and rules. As these programs are outside the control of each provincial organization there would be nothing to stop these super leagues from playing unlimited games if they wanted to, or allowing body checking at the Atom level for example if they wanted to etc. Basically playing with whatever rules they see fit, some of which are counter to what the provincial governing bodies have put in place.

I think that is the main issue the governing bodies have with these stand alone programs.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #33
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I wouldn't think it is the practicing, there are other programs that practice in the winter as well. But perhaps they get around that by technically not being an actual team but rather a 'development' program.

I think the issue with Hockey Alberta (and Hockey BC, Hockey Manitoba, etc. etc.) is the lack of control over games and rules. As these programs are outside the control of each provincial organization there would be nothing to stop these super leagues from playing unlimited games if they wanted to, or allowing body checking at the Atom level for example if they wanted to etc. Basically playing with whatever rules they see fit, some of which are counter to what the provincial governing bodies have put in place.

I think that is the main issue the governing bodies have with these stand alone programs.
Which is nonsense. If a kid wants to play on multiple teams there shouldn't be any issues. This is just groups like Hockey Alberta who are scared they will lose their monopoly on minor hockey.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #34
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

should I consult with hockey alberta on the correct way to get to the rink. confirm which gas station I should buy gas at.

if a kid on a team wants to play on this type of team, how does it hurt hockey alberta? if the spring team has different rules, then once again, how does it hurt hockey alberta?

the only way I could see this hurting the club team is when the kid misses a weekend due to being in the showcase
Old 01-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #35
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump to see how ESMH is going for everyone? We had a first round bye so didn't play our first game until last night, we came out flat and got smoked. One more chance tomorrow night or it's over for us. We were also quite short on players due to school exams this week and it showed as the girls were exhausted by the end.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #36
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're out. Bummed by what was a pretty lackluster effort by our group. I hate it that they can lose once and be out, they should be on the B side.

Proud of our coaches, we weren't overly negative in our post game talk with the team. We pushed the regular season and the year end cities as a good goal to do well in.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #37
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ but there is no real b-side in EMHW unless you count that first game which is also considered a regular season game. if you lose that you move to the other side.

I'd imagine scheduling the ice is already a nightmare, would be harder to run the tourney with a full on b-side.

to me it is hard to win this as you need 4 or 5 good games in a row and that is not always easy with kids.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #38
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have any insight on the boundary review that is going on? I heard speculation that Springbank could be split up and the boundaries of Trails West, Glenlake and Springbank redrawn to create a new area.

Also assuming Royals will gain some territory from NWCAA?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
We're out. Bummed by what was a pretty lackluster effort by our group. I hate it that they can lose once and be out, they should be on the B side.

Proud of our coaches, we weren't overly negative in our post game talk with the team. We pushed the regular season and the year end cities as a good goal to do well in.
Quote:
^ but there is no real b-side in EMHW unless you count that first game which is also considered a regular season game. if you lose that you move to the other side.

I'd imagine scheduling the ice is already a nightmare, would be harder to run the tourney with a full on b-side.

to me it is hard to win this as you need 4 or 5 good games in a row and that is not always easy with kids.
I find the whole set up of the EMHW odd. The best teams have to play the best teams to get to the final and the worst teams have to play the worst teams to get to the final.

Very odd.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #40
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I find the whole set up of the EMHW odd. The best teams have to play the best teams to get to the final and the worst teams have to play the worst teams to get to the final.

Very odd.
I think it is set up to try to give weaker teams a chance at winning, otherwise it would just be a redundant precursor to city finals. The first game was made a league game to prevent strong teams from ditching their first game so that they could move to the easier b side. It is also set up to guarantee every team two games, including the bye teams, that means if you play the bye team you can't be knocked out if you lose your second game ( the loser of a bye game gets to play again in case the bye team loses its first game)

Last edited by Nancy; 01-19-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post: