Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #1
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The Cricket Thread

The old cricket thread was a bit of a mess and I didn't really feel like digging it up, so here's a brand new one for discussing this elegant sport. Tests, ODIs, IPL, World T20, post it all in here. I know there's a few cricket fans out there!

The reason I'm starting this today is because of the test match currently being played in Christchurch between New Zealand and Australia. It marks the final match in New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum's career, and he is going out in style. On Day 1 he set two world records: one for career test sixes (106 and counting!), and the fastest test century in history off just 54 balls. It was a sensational innings to watch. Not to mention at the time he entered the match New Zealand were getting absolutely owned by the Australian bowlers, and McCullum's batting turned it around. Still a lot of cricket to be played though. Anyways, here's the highlights:

I've only become a cricket fan over the last year or so, and McCullum's play has been a big reason for that. The aggressive, risk taking, hard hitting style is so much fun to watch. If you've never really watched cricket and think it's all boring and slow, this man will make you a believer. At least that was the case for me. He will be missed for NZ.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a legend, totally changed New Zealand cricket. I love the aggressive style. It's fun looking at Kiwis's scorecard this match, anyone who made runs did it over 100 strike rate. Hopefully he goes out on a winning note, he still has years left but at least we will still see him in franchise cricket.

I'm a Pakistan fan so I can appreciate that style. The last few years Pakistan teams have totalled been neutered and I hate that. Hopefully with Misbah's retirement, they can get back to playing Pakistan cricket.

PSL (Pakistan Super League) - Similar to IPL, franchise cricket. The games have been close and fun. They are at semi-final stage.

Asia Cup - Also T20 matches between Asian team just ahead of the T20 World cup will start Feb 24th. Chance for players to get into a good rhythm. The most heated rivalry in the world, Pakistan vs India, will be played on Feb 27th.

T20 World Cup - The stars will be in India to put on a show. If you want to try cricket, watch this tournament. Runs will be plenty, wickets will be plenty. Some amazing catches and huge 6ers will take place.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, McCullum is a superb batsman. My favourite stat from the other day was that he hit more sixes in 2 hours than Don Bradman hit his entire career.

Unfortunately for the Black Caps, the superior depth of Australia is coming through. The Aussies dominated day two and have now taken a 47 run lead with 6 wickets to spare.

Also, speaking of the Don, Adam Voges has put his test batting average over 100 in his 15th test. Not bad for someone who played their first test at age 35.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 02-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

well NZ have a lead, how much can they get in Day 4?

edit: never i cant add, they're down by 30

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-21-2016 at 09:29 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watching NZ bowl to Australia over the 5 tests they've played this season has been so frustrating. Burns, Warner, Khawaja, Voges, and Smith have all batted exceptionally well.

I'm so gutted right now, I missed McCullum's last innings because I was in a skype call!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
well NZ have a lead, how much can they get in Day 4?

edit: never i cant add, they're down by 30
You should have just waited an hour or so and the Black Caps will be up by 30. NZ is in big trouble though, they will probably end up with ~150 run lead when they need ~300 for a chance to win.

Also, McCullum has just gotten out for 25 on 27 balls in his final at bat. Supposedly David Warner made an amazing catch.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You should have just waited an hour or so and the Black Caps will be up by 30. NZ is in big trouble though, they will probably end up with ~150 run lead when they need ~300 for a chance to win.

Also, McCullum has just gotten out for 25 on 27 balls in his final at bat. Supposedly David Warner made an amazing catch.
Diving one handed barrel roll, yeah it was a beauty.

As is typically the case in tests against Australia, we're losing wickets way too quickly. We are missing Ross Taylor badly, rookie Henry Nicholls has taken his spot in the batting lineup and hasn't been able to do much with it.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Watching NZ bowl to Australia over the 5 tests they've played this season has been so frustrating. Burns, Warner, Khawaja, Voges, and Smith have all batted exceptionally well.

I'm so gutted right now, I missed McCullum's last innings because I was in a skype call!
It's all about the depth in test cricket. NZ has two or three guys who can put up a 100 while the Aussies have 4 or 5.

Also, taking wickets is a huge problem for the Kiwis. You can dominate T20 and ODI without having wicket taking bowlers but you can never win a test match without getting 20 wickets.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #9
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's all about the depth in test cricket. NZ has two or three guys who can put up a 100 while the Aussies have 4 or 5.

Also, taking wickets is a huge problem for the Kiwis. You can dominate T20 and ODI without having wicket taking bowlers but you can never win a test match without getting 20 wickets.
Too true. Wagner did well today getting 4 straight on those pull shots, but that was more smart fielding than anything.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #10
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

NZ did the best they could, led by 200

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:39 AM   #11
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well done to Australia, they are on a whole other level in test cricket.

Looking forward to World T20 in a couple weeks!
Old 02-27-2016, 02:46 AM   #12
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nvm....edit.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #13
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

T20 between Pakistan and India about to begin in 10 minutes.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

India wins a tense, low scoring match against Pakistan.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typical Pakistan's brutal batting.

Congrats India.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:01 AM   #16
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can you guys recommend any good sites for cricket highlights and news? I'm only following the blackcaps so I don't get a lot of world cricket news.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #17
ClubFlames

Exp:

www.cricinfo.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/willow for highlights. They don't cover every series but it's the only one I know.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
ClubFlames

Exp:

India wins the Asia Cup beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets.

T20 World Cup starts on Tuesday, March 8.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #19
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
India wins the Asia Cup beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets.

T20 World Cup starts on Tuesday, March 8.
I'm really trying to get excited about this but it is not coming easy.

India is by far the best T20 team right now and have the advantage of playing at home. It seems like a forgone conclusion they will win.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #20
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm really trying to get excited about this but it is not coming easy.

India is by far the best T20 team right now and have the advantage of playing at home. It seems like a forgone conclusion they will win.
Aussies, New Zealand, South Africa even English and Windies have a chance. They could win but not even close to a forgone conclusion. Aussies just chased 204 vs Saffies this morning. In a 20 over match anything can happen.