Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM   #41
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I know that Canada as a squad just can't compete. I completely get that, and I recognize that to play against the best teams and compete you have to be playing top level talent consistently, which we just don't have in Canada. My point isn't that we should be winning pools and world cups though.

Instead what I am noting is that tactically and strategically we aren't in the same league. That's a significant difference. So when I say they should be tighter in their support going into a ruck, that's not really skill-dependent. Its strategy and positioning. Canada has excellent athletes playing for the mens club. Its not a question of them not being able to do this, but for some reason they just don't. Why else would that be? They could be doing it. Its not like its never been tried (all the top tier squads seem to be doing it). They just don't.
But rucking is a skill, body position, approach, counter rucking, all skills.

Quote:
I agree with what you're saying about the backs and the other defence capitalizing on their miscues. I don't agree with you on 7's, but that could be because you're a forward!
Nice try, 27 years of playing and always in the backs.

Quote:
Its a different game, but there are excellent sevens players who can transition to 15's and be able to use some of those skills (in particular ball handling and open running). That's exactly what Canada needed in the back line...which is bizarre considering the number of 7's players in that line.

A bit more to the point of 7's being so vastly different is how different touch is to 7's or 15's. They're hardly the same game! But I you're awesome as a touch player, chances are you have some good skills to bring to the full contact game. If other players can hardly get a hand on you then an outright tackle becomes challenging. This is the kind of thing I would advocate for Canada; we have a smaller squad, but clearly good runners who are creative with the ball in hand. Use it.
John Moonlight.

He is an example of what happens when you 15's players play 7's. John came onto the scene as a big, fast fetching 7. He was a beast, good at the breakdown. He was picked up by 7's and in his recent 15's games he has looked lost, totally unsure of which lines to run and how to read a 15's game.

There is a reason that the nations at the higher tier has dedicated 15's and 7's players. Look at a guy like Ben Gollings. He was a main stay in the England 7's set up, but could not get on at 15's. While he is smaller, he isn't any smaller than some successful 15's players.

Quote:
And finally about the parity and things like that. (I'm kind of all over here and sorry for that), it's fine as an excuse against Ireland and France. Less so against Romania though and arguable against Italy. I'm not saying "run faster" or "kick the ball further" or things like that. Those are pure skill or athletic manoeuvres that are either there or aren't. But to say to a rugby player "bind onto the ball carrier when he goes into contact" isn't affected by parity. Its positional. If the argument is that players can't make it there because they're not fit, that's a different conversation, but we should see them doing this in the first half or more, and there should be an effort.

Like I say, I'm not an expert. I just love the game and noticed some things in watching the team play like crap for 2015.

The binding onto players pre-contact isn't conducive to playing a quick game. Usually, the current approach it so get "around" the tackler and make the ball available. It is all about getting/keeping the hands free of the tackle so you can off load.

I think Canada would have better success if they played a 10 man style. That being said, I would hate, HATE if they played a 10 man style. If they are going to lose the game, you may as well go down running.

I would really like to see Canada split their 15's and 7's programs. Stop the cross contamination of each. At the end of the day I think this will result in better 15's and 7's results.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #42
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well for some reason I had it in my head that you were a forward? I have no idea why.

I jut feel like we're going to go in circles here though. I don't mean that rucking has zero skill involved, I'm talking about the play leading into the ruck though. I'm sorry but being there in support for your teammate with the ball and binding to him isn't any more skilful than arriving a couple seconds after he's gone into contact. I know this is going to get bogged down in semantics, but the reality is that we aren't talking about who is better at rucking. I'm talking about this from a positional standpoint and not every team needs Richie McCaw to win their own ball back quickly and effectively.

Secondly, I'm not saying that every player should play 7's and 15's. Just that the skillset for 7's leads me (amongst many others) to that think that these players ought to be deft runners and ball-handlers. I mean sure, maybe they should split the programs...great. That's not what my point is though. My point is they already have all these 7's players (who do quite well in 7's), so focus on their strengths. I don't even see how that is questionable...its like letting Gaudreau play his style of game and not asking him to play the 4th line and try to impose himself physically.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #43
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well for some reason I had it in my head that you were a forward? I have no idea why.
I am gonna give you a pass this once....

Quote:
I jut feel like we're going to go in circles here though. I don't mean that rucking has zero skill involved, I'm talking about the play leading into the ruck though. I'm sorry but being there in support for your teammate with the ball and binding to him isn't any more skilful than arriving a couple seconds after he's gone into contact. I know this is going to get bogged down in semantics, but the reality is that we aren't talking about who is better at rucking. I'm talking about this from a positional standpoint and not every team needs Richie McCaw to win their own ball back quickly and effectively.
But the current coaching isn't to pre-bind with players, that is what I am saying. It just isn't, at least with the coaches I know (one being national level). What you are advocating is to have two bodies impacting the one tackler, if I am reading it correctly. That worked when the focus was winning the contact, now the approach is to attack the hole and not the tackler.

Quote:
Secondly, I'm not saying that every player should play 7's and 15's. Just that the skillset for 7's leads me (amongst many others) to that think that these players ought to be deft runners and ball-handlers. I mean sure, maybe they should split the programs...great. That's not what my point is though. My point is they already have all these 7's players (who do quite well in 7's), so focus on their strengths. I don't even see how that is questionable...its like letting Gaudreau play his style of game and not asking him to play the 4th line and try to impose himself physically.

No, the issue is that when players are off on the 7's program they don't play 15's. It isn't fair to the player, and sets them up for failure. You have 7's guys that are gone playing 7's and they don't get 15's time. To highlight the difference in 7's and 15's USA finished ranked #6, Kenya & Portugal were #13/#14. It is too different sports.

It is questionable because you don't have the space and time in 15's that you do in 7's.

At the end of the day we can agree to disagree.

Quote:

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 01-11-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: even I didn't understand what I had typed
Old 01-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.yorktonthisweek.com/sport...rgne-1.2150634

Quote:
An injury crisis at Clermont Auvergne has earned Canadian rugby international Doug Wooldridge a job with the French powerhouse.

The 30-year-old prop, originally from Lindsay, Ont., flew out Wednesday after agreeing to a three-month contract with Clermont, which is tied with Toulouse and Racing Metro with 38 points atop the French Top 14 league.

"I'm really really excited for sure," he said from the airport. "I'm just looking forward to the challenge. It's going to be a real tough hill to climb but if I can put in a good performance over there, hopefully build off the World Cup, I think there could be a (future) opportunity as well."
Clermont is a good organization.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #45
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/01...-rugby-canada/

Slava, there is a paragraph that might interest you, and is along the lines of what I was saying:

Quote:
The poor run of results from the last two years was something he couldn’t hide from. This is a results-based business, he admitted. While the strides his players made in the skill department was pleasing, the fact his team couldn’t find wins burned him.

It was down to one big thing, he said: a lack of full-timers. The only place in Canada for his best players to earn some kind of living was sevens. Asking those players to jump back and forth between two very different styles of rugby just wasn’t sustainable in the long run. Just as specialized sevens players are being developed, Canada needs specialized fifteens players if the men’s team is to return to the heights so many Canadian rugby people hold in their collective aspirations.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #46
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yeah I recognize that is an issue, but the fact is that was the situation. These players were going back and forth. I've played both and obviously there are differences between the games, but its not like one is hockey and one is rugby; there are a lot of skills and transferable ones at that, particularly in the backs. The bizarre thing is that we saw no evidence of that or at least very little in our backs. So while you have guys who are capable or playing open, running rugby when they're on the field or 7's we saw back line that continually played uncreative, uninspired rugby.

I get that we were not going to win the RWC. I just think that there were opportunities to play to our strengths here and we failed to do that.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #47
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ yeah I recognize that is an issue, but the fact is that was the situation. These players were going back and forth. I've played both and obviously there are differences between the games, but its not like one is hockey and one is rugby; there are a lot of skills and transferable ones at that, particularly in the backs. The bizarre thing is that we saw no evidence of that or at least very little in our backs. So while you have guys who are capable or playing open, running rugby when they're on the field or 7's we saw back line that continually played uncreative, uninspired rugby.

I get that we were not going to win the RWC. I just think that there were opportunities to play to our strengths here and we failed to do that.
We will have to agree to disagree.

Now let's open the Pandora's Box of a unified season in Canada.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man oh man that Toulon/Wasps match. That was fantastic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was pulling for Toulon primarily because of Bryan Habana. He had a few great carries but his highlight of the game was getting WRECKED by Ashley Johnson. That was a hell of a hit but Habana pops right back up and away he goes.

Great player.

Its a shame Toulon have, outside of perhaps only the Edmonton Oilers, the worst Kit in all of sport.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #50
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I was pulling for Toulon primarily because of Bryan Habana. He had a few great carries but his highlight of the game was getting WRECKED by Ashley Johnson. That was a hell of a hit but Habana pops right back up and away he goes.

Great player.

Its a shame Toulon have, outside of perhaps only the Edmonton Oilers, the worst Kit in all of sport.
Yeah no, there are worse:

Stade Francais wins hands down again and again:

Quote:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #51
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey guys, so I'm going to London in the spring and wouldn't you know it...It's the same time as the final for the Premier league. Question is, i've never been to a game before and don't really follow it that closely. Where should I sit? I see that there are still plenty of seats available. I understand the game, but have never seen it live. Thanks for the tips.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Hey guys, so I'm going to London in the spring and wouldn't you know it...It's the same time as the final for the Premier league. Question is, i've never been to a game before and don't really follow it that closely. Where should I sit? I see that there are still plenty of seats available. I understand the game, but have never seen it live. Thanks for the tips.
I like sitting at the end or corner of the field.

That way you can see the flow of the game develop and see where the holes are. That being said you struggle to see the other end of the field.

Centre or 22 are also good spots, but for me it is the end. Whenever I coach I always watch the game from the end of the pitch.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Lord thats hideous! What the hell were they thinking on that one?

Old 01-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #54
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Lord is right, kill that thing with fire!

The Pretoria Bulls are going with these for their away kits this season:

Still better than these ones they busted out a few years ago:

FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #55
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Good Lord is right, kill that thing with fire!

The Pretoria Bulls are going with these for their away kits this season:

Still better than these ones they busted out a few years ago:

Just another reason to hate the bulls, garbage jersey and garbage rugby.

God I hate the Bulls, with a passion.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #56
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Just another reason to hate the bulls, garbage jersey and garbage rugby.

God I hate the Bulls, with a passion.
Whoa, tell us how you really feel! Agree with the garbage rugby comment though. The only SA team worth watching is the Cheetahs.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #57
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Whoa, tell us how you really feel! Agree with the garbage rugby comment though. The only SA team worth watching is the Cheetahs.
You know I am right. I didn't even touch on their fan base.

Yeah, sadly, Cheetah's very rarely get the love they should.

Brussow was cast onto the garbage heap, and Goosen was driven to France.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #58
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The full Bulls kit just cause UCB loves them so much:

These are by far the worst of the 2016 Super Rugby jerseys. Most of them are really good with the Brumbies, Chiefs, and Highlanders being my favourites.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #59
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish Province had stayed with hoops proper.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2016, 02:09 AM   #60
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those Chiefs kits have looked awesome the last couple years. The Crusaders ones with the chain mail are also a favourite:
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote