Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #21
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Any chance its on TV?
Excellent question.

Maybe TSN, they are dying for content. I believe the RWC pulled good numbers.

I can ask my contacts at RC and find out.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #22
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll do my best to catch that. I really enjoyed watching Canada's games at the world cup as there's a thrill to supporting an underdog side that I don't get from watching the All Blacks. Pretty much every New Zealand game I've seen over the 4 years I've lived here I just expect them to win and they usually do. But Canada vs Italy, now that was a tense and exciting game to watch, bummer we couldn't finish them off.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
^Cool. It is tough to get excited for Canada vs Chile or Brazil but a once a year game against Argentina is a big deal.
I saw Canada play Chile here in Calgary about a decade ago (more more like 15 years ago!) and yeah, it was a little underwhelming. The most exciting part might have been trying to convince a teammate that he should streak.

Fun fact: in Europe they don't really care about streakers. In the Canada v. France game at RWC there were two drunken Canadians who thought it was a good idea. One ran the length of the field, circled back and until he hopped over the barricade and was almost out of the lower bowl, security just watched. Until they left the field though no one cared.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #24
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I saw Canada play Chile here in Calgary about a decade ago (more more like 15 years ago!) and yeah, it was a little underwhelming. The most exciting part might have been trying to convince a teammate that he should streak.

Fun fact: in Europe they don't really care about streakers. In the Canada v. France game at RWC there were two drunken Canadians who thought it was a good idea. One ran the length of the field, circled back and until he hopped over the barricade and was almost out of the lower bowl, security just watched. Until they left the field though no one cared.
Haha, no harm no foul I guess. Not like this idiot who cost the Queenslanders a try in the 2013 State of Origin.

FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember in this world cup I was watching a Springboks match and this guy goes heavy into the ruck and I'm thinking to myself:

"He's wearing a Boks' jersey but hes also clearly wearing jeans and is somewhat heavy-set...."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #26
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears that Jonah may have died penniless.

http://news.sky.com/story/1605909/al...died-penniless

Quote:
fund has been created to help the children of Jonah Lomu after it emerged he died with almost no savings.

The New Zealand Rugby Players' Association has established the Jonah Lomu Legacy Trust to provide for the legendary winger's two sons, Brayley and Dhyreille.

Association chief executive Rob Nichol said Lomu's finances had not yet been disentangled, but "there's not going to be any great windfall".

"There's certainly nothing that's going to sustain any ongoing financial benefit for the family," he added.

Quote:
Old 12-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a game between Toulouse and Ulster, I like both teams but I'm leaning towards Toulouse. Not definitive yet, but how can you not love those jerseys?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pacific Warriors is on Netflix now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Mitchell is back.

You either love him or hate him.

It will be interesting to see how he does. I am buddies with a business partner of his in SA. John does not suffer fools well.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...itchell-eagles

Quote:
The former All Blacks coach John Mitchell is the new head coach of the US Eagles, it was announced on Monday.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we are going to get a new coach for the mens national team: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter
Old 01-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like we are going to get a new coach for the mens national team: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter
haha, I was just coming to post this.

RC, what a joke of an organization.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #32
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what's the deal here? It says in the article he just agreed to a two year contract, now he bails?

(I have no idea how this stuff works)
Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #33
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
So what's the deal here? It says in the article he just agreed to a two year contract, now he bails?

(I have no idea how this stuff works)
Yeah I guess he had been looking at a couple other contracts, then agreed to the two year extension. Then after that the club approached him with a formal offer, and he took that.

I think its a little weird, but he didn't really owe anything to Canada either. People have to do what they think is best for themselves, and I hope that we can find someone else who can move the program forward.

Its weird though. When I watched the club this past summer and fall they were just not doing things that seemed effective for the rest of the world. For example going into a ruck with no support. That seems like rugby 101 these days, but the Canadian team just wasn't doing it. The thing that makes it so bizarre is that talking to guys playing recreational rugby here in Calgary, they all do it and are taught that way now. So how in the world it doesn't happen at the national level is beyond me. (I'm referring to guy basically binding on to the player with the ball before he initiates contact by the way, in case you're not sure what I'm talking about). It seems like a minor little thing. Until you see a top tier club run the ball down the oppositions throat 4-5 phases in a row and pick up 20-30 metres doing so.

That and for a team full of sevens players who do well there, I expected a lot more creativity and offensive flair from the backs. Instead its basically "hands" every time. No loops or scissors or anything 99% of the time. Its not just that its predictable (it is), but those plays add to you getting overlaps and creating numbers wider out. I think some Canadians are reluctant to play that way because they don't want to look like showboats or something like that, but the reality is that these things open your opponents as well and keep them off balance defensively.

Anyway, I'm just a fan at this point, so what do I know. I hope that the program gets back to its growth and winning ways though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some good matches on today!

I'll try and catch the Munster and Ulster matches.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #35
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

This year promises to be very convoluted and gimmicky for Super Rugby:

Since the Australasian group has two more teams than the South African group (which includes all three new franchises including the Japanese and Argentinian team), the Australasian group gets 5 playoff spots and South African group gets 3.

With the awkward setup there's no way to have a fair and balanced schedule and playoff structure, and I think the South African teams benefit the most here. The South African conference as a whole was pretty bad last year. If each conference leader didn't get an automatic playoff berth then South Africa would've had no teams in last year's playoffs (Crusaders got screwed!). So now with the expansion there is a pretty good chance that 3 South African teams make the playoffs having an easier schedule than the New Zealand and Australian teams. Hopefully the Sunwolves and Jaguares can stick it to them.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the Ulster/Oyonnax match yesterday.

Ulster down 23-0 at half time and come back to win it 24-23.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Watched the Ulster/Oyonnax match yesterday.

Ulster down 23-0 at half time and come back to win it 24-23.
That is incredible! I would love to be in the room to see what the leadership was saying at the half. I would also like to be a fly in the wall for the post-game on the Oyonnax side of things.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is incredible! I would love to be in the room to see what the leadership was saying at the half. I would also like to be a fly in the wall for the post-game on the Oyonnax side of things.
They kept panning to the Oyonnax coach on the sidelines. He was doing his best to hide.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I guess he had been looking at a couple other contracts, then agreed to the two year extension. Then after that the club approached him with a formal offer, and he took that.

I think its a little weird, but he didn't really owe anything to Canada either. People have to do what they think is best for themselves, and I hope that we can find someone else who can move the program forward.
My issue with it is why sign on if you have something else in the pipe. The coaching world at that level is tiny, and honesty in dealings can go a long way. "Canada, I am very interested in staying, but I have to be honest I am in discussion(s) with professional teams. I don't want to myself up, and it isn't fair to you if I extend right now. I should know in a few weeks".

Quote:
Its weird though. When I watched the club this past summer and fall they were just not doing things that seemed effective for the rest of the world. For example going into a ruck with no support. That seems like rugby 101 these days, but the Canadian team just wasn't doing it. The thing that makes it so bizarre is that talking to guys playing recreational rugby here in Calgary, they all do it and are taught that way now. So how in the world it doesn't happen at the national level is beyond me. (I'm referring to guy basically binding on to the player with the ball before he initiates contact by the way, in case you're not sure what I'm talking about). It seems like a minor little thing. Until you see a top tier club run the ball down the oppositions throat 4-5 phases in a row and pick up 20-30 metres doing so.
I have thoughts on this. I still play, Div 3. One thing you have to remember is that locally there is (for the most part) parity between clubs. When you get to the International level there isn't. What that means is what the coach might be communicating this, but the disparity in talent/ability means they can't execute.

There is a little write up from a Canada Coach:

http://coach.ca/-worldcupweekly-with...en#SEPTEMBER23

He points out two telling things:

The game has certainly moved from a contact sport to a collision sport.

At the highest level the game has changed. The ferocity of the contact isn't anywhere near what I or even Div 1 guys are doing locally.

By the end of that match against France, we were left with only 3 professional players on the field playing against the 6th best team in the world and runner-up in the last Rugby World Cup.

This is the rub, there just can't compete, at the same level. At times it is men with boys. That sounds harsh, but all the time they have playing at the highest level in Canada just does not exist.

Quote:
That and for a team full of sevens players who do well there
I hate 7's, the skills are so different. While the basic individual skills are the same, the tactical skills both on attack and defense are very different.

Quote:
I expected a lot more creativity and offensive flair from the backs. Instead its basically "hands" every time. No loops or scissors or anything 99% of the time. Its not just that its predictable (it is), but those plays add to you getting overlaps and creating numbers wider out. I think some Canadians are reluctant to play that way because they don't want to look like showboats or something like that, but the reality is that these things open your opponents as well and keep them off balance defensively.

Anyway, I'm just a fan at this point, so what do I know. I hope that the program gets back to its growth and winning ways though.
Again, your final point directly relates to the second point from Moff. While I am a fan of draw and pass (if done right it always works), the defense Canada faced was too well organized and responded to their own mistakes too well.

I must say i do enjoy the rugby talk.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #40
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that Canada as a squad just can't compete. I completely get that, and I recognize that to play against the best teams and compete you have to be playing top level talent consistently, which we just don't have in Canada. My point isn't that we should be winning pools and world cups though.

Instead what I am noting is that tactically and strategically we aren't in the same league. That's a significant difference. So when I say they should be tighter in their support going into a ruck, that's not really skill-dependent. Its strategy and positioning. Canada has excellent athletes playing for the mens club. Its not a question of them not being able to do this, but for some reason they just don't. Why else would that be? They could be doing it. Its not like its never been tried (all the top tier squads seem to be doing it). They just don't.

I agree with what you're saying about the backs and the other defence capitalizing on their miscues. I don't agree with you on 7's, but that could be because you're a forward! Its a different game, but there are excellent sevens players who can transition to 15's and be able to use some of those skills (in particular ball handling and open running). That's exactly what Canada needed in the back line...which is bizarre considering the number of 7's players in that line.

A bit more to the point of 7's being so vastly different is how different touch is to 7's or 15's. They're hardly the same game! But I you're awesome as a touch player, chances are you have some good skills to bring to the full contact game. If other players can hardly get a hand on you then an outright tackle becomes challenging. This is the kind of thing I would advocate for Canada; we have a smaller squad, but clearly good runners who are creative with the ball in hand. Use it.

And finally about the parity and things like that. (I'm kind of all over here and sorry for that), it's fine as an excuse against Ireland and France. Less so against Romania though and arguable against Italy. I'm not saying "run faster" or "kick the ball further" or things like that. Those are pure skill or athletic manoeuvres that are either there or aren't. But to say to a rugby player "bind onto the ball carrier when he goes into contact" isn't affected by parity. Its positional. If the argument is that players can't make it there because they're not fit, that's a different conversation, but we should see them doing this in the first half or more, and there should be an effort.

Like I say, I'm not an expert. I just love the game and noticed some things in watching the team play like crap for 2015.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: