Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #1821
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Khabib seems a little better than anybody in the weight class. If I knew how to bet I'd take Khabib all the way.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #1822
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh damn... Khabib having trouble with getting the takedown the entire 1st. His stand up is better than expected though.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:49 PM   #1823
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaethje is really sucking air after the first round. Hard to see the possibility of him winning.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #1824
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

And just as I thought Khabib was in trouble, he pulls that submission off. Beautiful.

29-0, what a beast. Sad that he fight only have 1 fight left in his career
Old 10-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #1825
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking his gloves off. retiring?

Wow. Can’t blame him, his father was everything to him.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #1826
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wasn't even close.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #1827
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Khabib didn’t just beat but finished Gathje, Poirier, and Mcgregor in his last 3 fights...that's something. Nothing left for him to prove.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-24-2020 at 03:18 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #1828
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this age there's no way St. Pierre could beat him, but I wonder if the UFC could entertain the possibility to bring both guys out one last time. I'm sure the money would be great.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #1829
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

GSP would never take a fight he has no chance of winning.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #1830
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I realize he is showing respect to Khabib so not wanting to hog the spotlight..,.but is it me, or did Gaethje seem pretty nonchalant about losing? Like, no big deal. Got paid.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #1831
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd liner View Post
I realize he is showing respect to Khabib so not wanting to hog the spotlight..,.but is it me, or did Gaethje seem pretty nonchalant about losing? Like, no big deal. Got paid.
I feel like he knew beforehand.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #1832
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I think I bought into the ufc hype that that fight was going to be closer. Conor and Poirier both went longer with khabib. A little disappointed, but Khabib is truly dominant. I am a fan of McGregor (his fighting, not the extracurricular stuff) so I was hoping Gaethje did something more. But 100% respect to Khabib- truly a memorable show of emotion and calling it quits. Assuming he stays retired, will be an interesting battle for the lightweight title. Gaethje, poirier, this new chandler guy, mcgregor? and tony.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #1833
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mcgregor fight went longer because Kahbib wanted to beat him up. There wasn't near the animosity for this fight. I do believe that Justin though he could win outright, but after Khabib tasted his power that wasn't in the cards.

Switching to a triangle choke from a mount is such a flex. Not sure I've seen that before.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #1834
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I think I bought into the ufc hype that that fight was going to be closer. Conor and Poirier both went longer with khabib. A little disappointed, but Khabib is truly dominant. I am a fan of McGregor (his fighting, not the extracurricular stuff) so I was hoping Gaethje did something more. But 100% respect to Khabib- truly a memorable show of emotion and calling it quits. Assuming he stays retired, will be an interesting battle for the lightweight title. Gaethje, poirier, this new chandler guy, mcgregor? and tony.
Conor vs Poirier rematch is supposedly planned for January, originally was going to be a exhibition bout for Poirier's charity when the UFC had disagreements with both of them but now I would guess they probably make that fight for the vacant Lightweight title. Would love to see Poirier win that but I would favor Conor for that one, I don't think any striker at Lightweight beats him.

Gaethje or Tony vs Chandler to decide the next challenger would be good.

I think Gaethje had good wrestling and the biggest chance out of him/Conor/Poirier to knock Khabib out with his power, but had the weakest BJJ which is why I predicted an early submission. He hit Khabib with some big shots in the first round and was doing a good job circling the cage, but Khabib is tough as nails and Gaethje was getting visibly tired from the pressure. He knew he was gassed after the 1st so it wasn't a huge surprise.

It was an amazing way to go out for Khabib with the slick triangle finish and the emotion he showed after. Plus he showed the naysayers that he could stand and strike with a knockout artist in addition to his mastery on the ground.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #1835
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
At this age there's no way St. Pierre could beat him, but I wonder if the UFC could entertain the possibility to bring both guys out one last time. I'm sure the money would be great.
Quote:
Nurmagomedov, 32, said his mother did not want him to compete without his father, but he told her this would be his last fight.

"I promised her this was gonna be my last fight," Nurmagomedov said. "If I give my word, I have to follow this."
https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...ces-retirement
Old 10-25-2020, 06:26 PM   #1836
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

We've seen time and time again that athletes tend to have a desire to come back. He seems to be a guy of his principle, but who knows a year from now if he gets the itch again. His mom could very well give her blessing to come back for a fight. I'd actually say there's a greater than 50% chance it happens within a year and a half (maybe not GSP, but someone where it's a compelling PPV draw).
Old 10-31-2020, 07:46 PM   #1837
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderson Silva's really hurt his legacy. Legitimately a few years back the best fighter, but now he shows up to fights overweight, flabby, and just eats punches. Tonight he was a bit quick but he ate so many punches.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #1838
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Disappointing performance for Boser tonight. Gotta bury a declining veteran like arlovski. If there was a crowd they’d have been booing that fight. Too much sitting back and waiting for the other guy to do something. Maybe Boser was nervous?
Old 11-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #1839
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disappointing performance for Boser tonight. Gotta bury a declining veteran like arlovski. If there was a crowd they’d have been booing that fight. Too much sitting back and waiting for the other guy to do something. Maybe Boser was nervous?
Arlovski is still a solid fighter for Heavyweight, American Top Team has some great coaches and he’s won 3 out his past 4 with a few questionable decision losses before this stretch.

I agree though, it was a boring fight and thought Boser would do better. When Arlovski hit him, the damage was noticeable and Boser allowed himself to get hit too many times in the third. He’s also pretty undersized at Heavyweight so wrestling to get the win wasn’t an option.

The main event between Santos and Teixeira was a great fight, incredible how Teixeira always finds a way to recover after getting rocked.
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #1840
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The forearm choke was pretty cool.

Hoping we see Texiera v Blachowicz early next year. That could be a decent fight.