Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I don't mind that, let's develop guys from within. MLS isn't a bad league.

I'm tired of players deciding whether to play for Canada or not and only jumping on when the other Canadian players get the team somewhere.

Let's have "OUR" team! Win or lose I'd be much happier. I was absolutely thrilled with the performance and the result yesterday.
It really kind of is. Its fun, and there is quality to it, but it isnt the same as having players playing in Europe.

When the top players in MLS are aging europeans that cant hack it in any other league like Robbie Keane and Thierry Henry then you kind of know where the quality level is at.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It'll get better. MLS has only been around 15 years. Can't really compare with leagues that have been around 100 yet.

It's a good start for young Canadian players. Really looking forward to seeing Jakovic for DC United and Bekker for Toronto FC.

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-30-2013 at 10:25 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It'll get better. MLS has only been around 15 years. Can't really compare with leagues that have been around 100 yet.

It's a good start for young Canadian players. Really looking forward to seeing Jakovic for DC United and Bekker for Toronto FC.
Very true.

Whats more important is that in MLS they'll play rather than playing in youth leagues or riding the pine in Europe.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #44
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'll second this. MLS is the longest lasting soccer league in North America, and the first to not go bust, ever. It's probably in the top 20 leagues in the world, IMO it might be on par with the Championship in England.

While Europe is the better option in terms of competitive skill, MLS players are not exactly garbage either.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #45
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In terms of your nation's best players, you are going to want them to be sought after by the better European clubs as early as possible and playing first team football be it on loan or with their club. For the players that cannot break into a first team, a return to regular matches in the MLS would be preferred.

The important thing is getting them in the best developmental system and environments as early as possible and then regular first team football once they are ready. Personally, I'm more than happy to ship them across to Europe for 'finishing' school so as to allow us to focus on creating better early schooling systems.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #46
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've read that Canada will now be playing a friendly against Belarus on March 25 in Qatar, which is an opponent that we should beat. Good to see lots of friendlies booked in the leadin to the 2013 Gold Cup, the team could have gone into hiding after the 8-1 loss.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #47
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Huge game for the u-20s this week against the US to qualify for their world cup. They dropped a game against Cuba they should have won in the round robin but they'd still have to play the Ticos so either way it would be a tough game. US will be a real challenge though.

They have a very solid roster compared to past editions, a couple of the guys who had been hinting at other nations like Aleman are there. Only guy I wanted to get a look at who didn't come is Fraser Aird but he's been making noise that he's going to try play for Scotland ever since he went over to Rangers.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #48
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Huge game for the u-20s this week against the US to qualify for their world cup. They dropped a game against Cuba they should have won in the round robin but they'd still have to play the Ticos so either way it would be a tough game. US will be a real challenge though.

They have a very solid roster compared to past editions, a couple of the guys who had been hinting at other nations like Aleman are there. Only guy I wanted to get a look at who didn't come is Fraser Aird but he's been making noise that he's going to try play for Scotland ever since he went over to Rangers.
Aleman is a very good prospect, and I hope Canada reaches out and caps him at the Gold Cup this year. If they don't, here's hoping he chooses Canada over Costa Rica. It's sad that we have to say this about every prospect but that's the result of being a nation that is so irrelevant on the world stage.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #49
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Aleman is a very good prospect, and I hope Canada reaches out and caps him at the Gold Cup this year. If they don't, here's hoping he chooses Canada over Costa Rica. It's sad that we have to say this about every prospect but that's the result of being a nation that is so irrelevant on the world stage.
I think he's in the fold to stay now, seems committed to the program. He's a good prospect but has a ways to go, hopefully he makes it. Playing an attacking game in a La Liga youth setup he could be a real boom or bust type prospect.

One of the better u-20 pools in recent years, usually we just have a handful of guys with pro setups and lots of NCAA/worse, other than the one forward TFC cut the whole team is signed on somewhere.

Happy to see the NASL guy on there too. As much as I hate Edmonton sports teams FCE has had the most Canadians on professional contracts for two years running. They have shown a brilliant commitment to improving the game in Canada.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #50
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I think he's in the fold to stay now, seems committed to the program. He's a good prospect but has a ways to go, hopefully he makes it. Playing an attacking game in a La Liga youth setup he could be a real boom or bust type prospect.

One of the better u-20 pools in recent years, usually we just have a handful of guys with pro setups and lots of NCAA/worse, other than the one forward TFC cut the whole team is signed on somewhere.

Happy to see the NASL guy on there too. As much as I hate Edmonton sports teams FCE has had the most Canadians on professional contracts for two years running. They have shown a brilliant commitment to improving the game in Canada.

Kyle Porter is actually no longer with FC Edmonton, he was dropped a few months back. According to this article he's about to sign with DC United shortly. Nonetheless, FC Edmonton is still the club giving the most professional chances to Canadians, moreso than the 3 MLS clubs combined.

http://the11.ca/2013/02/23/all-signs...le-paying-off/

Old 02-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #51
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Kyle Porter is actually no longer with FC Edmonton, he was dropped a few months back. According to this article he's about to sign with DC United shortly. Nonetheless, FC Edmonton is still the club giving the most professional chances to Canadians, moreso than the 3 MLS clubs combined.

http://the11.ca/2013/02/23/all-signs...le-paying-off/
This is why I think Edmontonians should stick with having an NASL club rather than jumping up to an MLS franchise; giving local/domestic players a shot at success is the clubs best/only shot at success.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #52
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

A note about today's U-20 match against the US: Sportsnet will be streaming the game live here: http://www.sportsnet.ca/live/

And it has also been added to the schedule on Sportsnet World, for those of you who subscribe. Kickoff is 4:00 pm today, Calgary time. The winner gets a berth into the U-20 World Cup which will be a nice boost for the program, to say the least. I'll be setting the PVR and, after my son is in bed, watching the Flames game and this in sequence on PVR time delay.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #53
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

result.

Spoiler!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #54
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roster announced for the Japan and Belarus friendlies. Tony Fonseca (current Technical Director) will be the coach for the 2 games:

GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor
GK- Tomer Chencinski | ISR / Maccabi Tel Aviv
CB- David Edgar | ENG / Burnley FC
CB- André Hainault | SCO / Ross Country FC
CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / D.C. United
CB- Adam Straith | GER / FC Energie Cottbus
FB- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg
FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC
M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf
M - Julian de Guzman | GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg
M- Atiba Hutchinson | NED / PSV Eindhoven
M- Will Johnson | USA / Real Salt Lake
M- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby Fotboll
M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / CD Santa Clara
M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CYP / AEK Larnaca FC
F- Stefan Cebara | HUN / Zalaegerszegi TE
F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Eintracht Braunsweig
F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Stevenage FC
F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Norwich City FC
F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-annou...qatar--p153473

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #55
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ There's a web stream on Sportsnet.ca for the Japan game (March 22nd, 10:00 MT). I do enjoy live weekday sports. I'll keep a little window open on my second monitor to follow along.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #56
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a reminder that the Canada game is on right now at this link : http://www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-live/

Canada started well enough, but Japan has gone ahead 1-0 at 10 mins.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #57
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Borjan's sleeping a little bit....
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #58
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some encouraging signs for Canada so far. Sure, they are a bit sloppy at times, but I'm willing to see this for what it is : a young squad and the start of a rebuild after a forgettable WCQ campaign.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #59
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Nice job! 1-1
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #60
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Nice to see Canada play in Qatar so they can tune up for World Cup 2022