Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #21
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Very fair point. If the plan is to sell on this winter, it does show strong character from Farsi to make sure the club gets a pay day out of it. Either way, very happy with this.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #22
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully they've improved the pitch with the season long layoff.

There's something so satisfying as a fan about walking into a European football stadium and the pitch is as pristine as a golf course.

Of course, the players would be happier about it too.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #23
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is desperate for CPL content over the offseason, The Young Gaffers do an excellent podcast with some great interviews. They are more Pacific FC focused, but they used to be based in Calgary, and I got to know them very well during the OG Foot Soldiers days.

http://www.theyounggaffers.com/

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #24
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry have signed Joseph di Chiara to a multi year contract. I don't get this signing unless a centre midfielder is on the move, but Tommy seems to rate him.

https://canpl.ca/article/free-agent-...for-cavalry-fc

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #25
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Dude scored three goals in the Island games, so he has some offensive prowess. Not a glamorous signing but I think it's a reliable one.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #26
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

He definitely adds some offensive pop to the midfield. He has crazy possession stats as well.

Maybe drop Simmons back as a deep DM and play him and Ledgerwood or Adekugbe?
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #27
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Can he take a free kick? We really need someone that can take a free kick. I miss Buscher.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #28
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people are overrating Di Chiara's offensive ability, given that 4 of his 5 goals in this league were from the penalty spot. The other was a header off a corner kick. He's only ever scored in League1 Ontario, but never in any of the professional clubs he's played at. Cavalry outpossessed their opponents in 80% of their games in 2020, and by crazy margins in a few of them (71% against Edmonton, 62% against Ottawa), so I don't see how his possession stats really improve what was already a pretty good trait of the team.

Perhaps he gives Cavalry the ability to play through the middle that they were desperately lacking during the tournament with Camargo's absence. I've never really seen that from him when I've watched York. Aparicio was York's free kick taker and he scored some absolute bangers during the tournament, so not sure about that aspect of his game.

Simmons is training in Sweden right now with a club who want to sign him, and Adekugbe was training in Norway at his brother's club last year, so if one or both of those two leave, this signing really makes sense. Outside of that, we have three similar players in di Chiara, Simmons and Adekugbe with Ledgerwood in a reduced role to finish off his career. And there's Zebie too, but maybe he's the odd man out.

IMO, this is just a signing that at best is a small upgrade on players Cavalry already have. It does nothing to address what is really lacking at the club, which is depth in attack and creating chances through the middle of the pitch. That said, I think I am the only person who doesn't rate this signing so there's that.

Old 11-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #29
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should I heat up the NWSL to Calgary rumours?

https://twitter.com/sprusina/status/1331413952035647490

Old 11-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #30
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I think people are overrating Di Chiara's offensive ability, given that 4 of his 5 goals in this league were from the penalty spot. The other was a header off a corner kick. He's only ever scored in League1 Ontario, but never in any of the professional clubs he's played at. Cavalry outpossessed their opponents in 80% of their games in 2020, and by crazy margins in a few of them (71% against Edmonton, 62% against Ottawa), so I don't see how his possession stats really improve what was already a pretty good trait of the team.

Perhaps he gives Cavalry the ability to play through the middle that they were desperately lacking during the tournament with Camargo's absence. I've never really seen that from him when I've watched York. Aparicio was York's free kick taker and he scored some absolute bangers during the tournament, so not sure about that aspect of his game.

Simmons is training in Sweden right now with a club who want to sign him, and Adekugbe was training in Norway at his brother's club last year, so if one or both of those two leave, this signing really makes sense. Outside of that, we have three similar players in di Chiara, Simmons and Adekugbe with Ledgerwood in a reduced role to finish off his career. And there's Zebie too, but maybe he's the odd man out.

IMO, this is just a signing that at best is a small upgrade on players Cavalry already have. It does nothing to address what is really lacking at the club, which is depth in attack and creating chances through the middle of the pitch. That said, I think I am the only person who doesn't rate this signing so there's that.
A true "#10" was definitely missing in PEI with Büscher gone and Camargo injured. With Sergio's history of injuries, this is definitely a crucial hole to fill.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #31
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, depth at the #10 position is critical, and was the biggest hole in 2020. Di Chiara is not a #10 though. Hopefully one of the other 14 players signed are a #10.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #32
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Agreed, depth at the #10 position is critical, and was the biggest hole in 2020. Di Chiara is not a #10 though. Hopefully one of the other 14 players signed are a #10.
Yeah, he seems more of a holding midfielder or at most a "#8" when it comes to his attacking quality. Gonna be really interesting to see who comes into the club at striker and LB as well.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #33
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Farsi has won the U-21 player of the year.

https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status...23344972476416

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #34
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forge have been knocked out of CONCACAF League tonight, losing on penalties to Arcahaie FC of Haiti. Triston Henry absolutely gifted Arcahaie a goal to tie it, and then Forge missed their first two penalties.

I am very happy.

https://twitter.com/RudiSchuller/sta...62074658058240

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #35
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Henry has to be one of the worst keepers in the league. Always surprised when he gets praise from the commentators.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #36
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forge was absolutely dreadful in that one. Couldn’t complete passes, couldn’t control the ball.

I admit I did enjoy watching them get CONCACAF’d with the reffing/time wasting at the end of the match too
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 10:18 PM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the second half and it was very enjoyable. I mean the extra time was a joke and I have no idea how they didn’t add more, but who cares, it’s Forge. Loved the penalties as the keeper stopped the first three.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 11:16 AM   #38
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Richard Luca has re-signed. On a multi year deal.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/c...chard-luca-bra

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #39
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Luca is the player I am most excited about, he could bring a totally different dynamic to the squad
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #40
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is he a winger, or could he play up top as a forward?

We really need some more offensive pop up front. And we need to improve the backline. Those are probably the most pressing needs for the club right now.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good