Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #101
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Sorry I'm just getting caught up on this due to travel for work and wanted to respond. 1. That same GP league is in Calgary. That league in Calgary has went from 180+ teams a few years ago to around 70 now (maybe less). If you ask the opinion of a lot of people there (and here) you'd probably find that it's less fighting back and more a drop off in the level of service and give a #### about the customer's experience.

I think what you're saying is true about any business. Cut out all the fluff and prices could be cheaper for everything.

I run beer league recreational events and have worked for leagues. Profit is made because there is a level of service provided. I started that original GP league for that company btw. The reason people like(d) the league concept is because they didn't have to do any of the stuff people hate doing. Collecting fees, scheduling ice, scheduling games, dealing with players/managers/refs/score keepers, disciplining people. Most importantly people like having someone who cared about their experience and would actively try to make it better.

It's noble that the those guys are going to run it not for profit but I think they will change their tune when they see there is actual real work involved to make leagues go. That being said.... fees at some leagues are quite inflated.

One way your idea could happen though is if community rinks should run their own smaller leagues with their own ice instead of renting it out to for profit league providers. Take the American private rink model approach, like Winsport did or Great Plains.
Well I'll say it. NCHL , having played in it, and ALCAL as well, are poorly run.

But a league that is run well, considering its massive size is HNA. I highly recommend them, and their league administrator James Kelly. We'll be returning.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #102
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Well I'll say it. NCHL , having played in it, and ALCAL as well, are poorly run.

But a league that is run well, considering its massive size is HNA. I highly recommend them, and their league administrator James Kelly. We'll be returning.

James is a good guy. HNA is weird operation but they just seem to work. I think everyone has opinions. Some people love NCHL, HNA, ASHL etc.. and some hate them. SO I would say cutting down leagues isn't a good thing because its way easier to find a league you fit with now than if there were to be only 2 or 3 leagues.

One league I really like SHHL. After getting to know the guys that run it, I really feel like they care about what they are doing. They all work full time jobs in addition to running the league so it's a passion project for them. Being newer they just have some later times.

Honestly I used to think hockey in Calgary was expensive but (these are a bit outdated) here are some numbers from around North America.

https://beerleagueinc.com/blog/beer-...e-league-fees/

Last edited by nickerjones; 09-28-2020 at 10:03 PM.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #103
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our league (CAHL) has a pretty good system going.

- 3 team Cohorts.
- Play each team twice.
- Off for 2 weeks
- New 3 team cohort.

Refs and everything else the same.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #104
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

James is a good guy. HNA is weird operation but they just seem to work. I think everyone has opinions. Some people love NCHL, HNA, ASHL etc.. and some hate them. SO I would say cutting down leagues isn't a good thing because its way easier to find a league you fit with now than if there were to be only 2 or 3 leagues.

One league I really like SHHL. After getting to know the guys that run it, I really feel like they care about what they are doing. They all work full time jobs in addition to running the league so it's a passion project for them. Being newer they just have some later times.

Honestly I used to think hockey in Calgary was expensive but (these are a bit outdated) here are some numbers from around North America.

https://beerleagueinc.com/blog/beer-...e-league-fees/

James Kelly is a great guy and likely the reason that league has the popularity it does. He seems to really care about making it work for everyone at every level.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #105
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Winsport is starting up Nov 15.

-12 man rosters
-18 games
-4 teams/ division
-no showers
-60 minute ice times
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #106
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Winsport is starting up Nov 15.

-12 man rosters
-18 games
-4 teams/ division
-no showers
-60 minute ice times
Told Winsport we wouldnt be fielding a team this winter (had about four people say they would play). They told us we wouldn't be given preference for future seasons as we are effectively giving up our spot.

Sorry we don't want to pay inflated fees with a minimal roster in the middle of a pandemic but
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #107
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Told Winsport we wouldnt be fielding a team this winter (had about four people say they would play). They told us we wouldn't be given preference for future seasons as we are effectively giving up our spot.

Sorry we don't want to pay inflated fees with a minimal roster in the middle of a pandemic but
but did they even start?
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #108
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
but did they even start?
Nope, we were supposed to start last Thursday.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #109
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got 6 games in. I suspect we won’t get to play till February if at all again this year.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #110
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fred keeping money again? Yeah, I said it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #111
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Surely, the restrictions on arenas won't be lifted on January 13th?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #112
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be surprised if they were, at least for adult leagues. Even minor sports would be a stretch to re-open at this point.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #113
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the changes of any indoor sports opening up are almost zero.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #114
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

No news is bad news?

Ugh. i was hoping mine and my kids can start our sports (and their swimming lessons)
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #115
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm hoping Alberta at the very least follows BC's direction with youth sports (distanced, all skills no thrills). Realistically though community spread is still too high. I imagine they will let kids get back to school first and go from there.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #116
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Provincial playoffs were officially cancelled by Hockey Alberta this week, but Hockey Calgary sent out an update today and is now talking about season extension into April. Just wondering what people think about this?

Personally, I think they should just cancel the season now, and let spring hockey pick up the slack if/when restrictions are lifted. That at least gives people the choice of whether they want to be playing hockey into April, through school spring breaks etc., or lets them choose to play outdoor sports, instead, which have a much higher chance of actually happening.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #117
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

West Hillhurst Arena (closure extended to Jan 21st):
TEMPORARILY CLOSED DECEMBER 13, 2020 - JANUARY 21, 2021 - ALL PROGRAMMING START DATES WILL BE MOVED BACK.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:43 PM   #118
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Provincial playoffs were officially cancelled by Hockey Alberta this week, but Hockey Calgary sent out an update today and is now talking about season extension into April. Just wondering what people think about this?

Personally, I think they should just cancel the season now, and let spring hockey pick up the slack if/when restrictions are lifted. That at least gives people the choice of whether they want to be playing hockey into April, through school spring breaks etc., or lets them choose to play outdoor sports, instead, which have a much higher chance of actually happening.
Ice availability would be an issue. There's lots of shinny, beer league, spring hockey leagues, development camps etc. that have taken a lot of the ice and Hockey Calgary would be competing with them for ice. That said many rinks take their ice out as the 'regular' season ends but if they keep the ice in that would add some of it back to the pool.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #119
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Welp, still waiting to hear about a "winter" season from Winsport.

When I asked about a refund, I was told that if we got it, they couldn't guarantee our team a spot in the next season. They didn't think it would be an issue, but couldn't promise anything since alot of teams have deposits in for whatever season starts up next.

Just a tad bit frustrated by that response.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:12 PM   #120
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a league but just got word today that our summer shinny is back on starting next week. (within Calgary, community arena). I better check to see if I still fit into my gear.