Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #161
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a weird dynamic listening to how US college football is moving forward (that could still change) and some teams have already returned to campus for voluntary workouts. NCAA has released a framework and timeline for actual practices. And in Canada we have unilaterally cancelled all University sport until January at the earliest.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #162
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
as someone with a child looking for NCAA opportunities (no not football) fall of 2021 this is becoming complicated, as sports there (US broadly)seem to be in general opening up more despite more covid- training and exposure opportunities and campus travel etc...realize its not the major focus of the Alberta recovery but for kids in whom this is an important part of the future hopes and plans its getting tricky
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #163
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Just a weird dynamic listening to how US college football is moving forward (that could still change) and some teams have already returned to campus for voluntary workouts. NCAA has released a framework and timeline for actual practices. And in Canada we have unilaterally cancelled all University sport until January at the earliest.
There is a lot of money on the line in terms of television and other sponsorship dollars (at least in terms of college football). Not quite NFL but definitely apples and oranges compared to USports from a money standpoint.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #164
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
There is a lot of money on the line in terms of television and other sponsorship dollars (at least in terms of college football). Not quite NFL but definitely apples and oranges compared to USports from a money standpoint.
Without question. And the fact the football provides the revenue that most of the other varsity sports need in order to survive brings added pressure to play this fall. It's just so odd to discuss the outright cancellation in Canada and then flip to another station and it's all about moving ahead.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #165
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
^^
as someone with a child looking for NCAA opportunities (no not football) fall of 2021 this is becoming complicated, as sports there (US broadly)seem to be in general opening up more despite more covid- training and exposure opportunities and campus travel etc...realize its not the major focus of the Alberta recovery but for kids in whom this is an important part of the future hopes and plans its getting tricky

I don't even know how you would go about handling this.

I mean I'm guessing you've sent video out to everyone you can. But the cross border stuff messes things up a lot for you.

Are US College teams even going to look at Canadian Players this year?

How are they going to do their usual scouting?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #166
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't even know how you would go about handling this.

I mean I'm guessing you've sent video out to everyone you can. But the cross border stuff messes things up a lot for you.

Are US College teams even going to look at Canadian Players this year?

How are they going to do their usual scouting?
luckily (in a way) for her sport many of the measures are very objective, and it is an individual sport

problem is the grade XI/early grade XII year is the most important time to garner those results- and Alberta isn't allowing competition that may be soon occuring elsewhere

also takes away both the fun (and importance) of visiting campuses and coaches even if zoom/facetime can go some of the way to replacing that
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #167
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of the coolest coaching moments for me, and I'll remember it for a long time was when I was OC with the Cowboys, and when I was running our insertion, I was called over to the side line by our head coach. Of course I was irritated because I was inserting some option plays that I had drawn up. But telling a coach to wait just a damn minute is bad form.

So I jogged over the side line and was introduced to a couple of UofC coaches, and I spent some time talking with them about what I was running and why, and then they switched over to asking me who my standouts were, and they wanted to know more about things like physical skills etc. I pointed out 2 or 3 players and talked about their ability to absorb the play book, and their work in the off season, and how they asked the right questions. I spoke about how they'd improved over last year, and any road blocks that they had encountered. It was a really cool conversation.

One of those players was signed by the Dino's and would have been in his first year this year, it sucks that he's going to miss key development, but things like this are the reason that I love coaching.

A few years back when I was coaching high school ball, we had three players from our defense that got to go out and play at universities out East.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #168
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

we don't have a general USports thread going and I thought this deserved a separate posting from the Alberta Politics thread even though it may be related. This is huge, UAlberta suspending hockey, basketball, and volleyball entirely for the upcoming season - both mens and womens. I realize this season was in jeopardy already for the three sports but to outright suspend the three programs is pretty significant. The Bears and Panda's hockey programs have been among the most successful in the country. As an alumni this really stings to read about.

https://www.ualberta.ca/athletics/co...-season-update
Old 06-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #169
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know UofLethbridge canceled its hockey programs. Did they reverse that decision?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #170
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I know UofLethbridge canceled its hockey programs. Did they reverse that decision?
Not that I am aware of.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #171
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
we don't have a general USports thread going and I thought this deserved a separate posting from the Alberta Politics thread even though it may be related. This is huge, UAlberta suspending hockey, basketball, and volleyball entirely for the upcoming season - both mens and womens. I realize this season was in jeopardy already for the three sports but to outright suspend the three programs is pretty significant. The Bears and Panda's hockey programs have been among the most successful in the country. As an alumni this really stings to read about.

https://www.ualberta.ca/athletics/co...-season-update
Yes I heard the same thing today. Very surprising as I assumed that UofA would have been one of the more financially stable schools and able to weather the uncertainty.

As I mentioned earlier my daughter is going to play basketball at TRU (Kamloops) this year. She had a zoom call with the Athletic Director and her coach last week and they have advised her that all athletes have to be in Kamloops at the school at the start of September in order to qualify for their scholarship and maintain their spot on the team. Even though their schooling will be online and the earliest they can expect to start their season is January.

To me, it seems kinda crazy to expect these students to travel out there, pay for housing, etc in order to sit in their residence and do online school if all they are doing is small group practices. Individual training could be done here without all the extra expense.

Probably no right answer to all this but kinda frustrating as a parent.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #172
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deane Leonard (son of former Stamps DB Kenton Leonard) who played on the Vanier Cup Champion Dinos last season has accepted a scholarship to play at Ole Miss. Congrats Deane!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1280937136162656256
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #173
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players will not lose a year of eligibility for this season (CIS and also at the college level, and not only in football but in all sports) however football is not excepting players who exceed the maximum age of 25 so unfortunately those players are effectively done playing.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canadi...emic-1.5018685
Old 07-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #174
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I was talking to a father of one of the players that I coached that signed up with the Dinos (There are more then a few which pumps me up), and he confirmed the eligibility question, but yeah the sad fact is that players that had one year left are boned.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #175
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316802813373149185
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #176
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sucks. But the conferences have not completely pulled the plug on the seasons either. They could still play a conference schedule but without a national championship. Crossing fingers that still happens.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #177
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

This isn't CIS nor is it football but I don't see a thread for Canadian college sports.

ACAC has cancelled the winter season for all sports. This means no sports for the entire 2020-2021 academic year.

I suspect CIS will follow suit soo but I am still holding out hope.

https://www.acac.ab.ca/general/2020-...20201104nc8bcq
Old 11-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #178
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This isn't CIS nor is it football but I don't see a thread for Canadian college sports.

ACAC has cancelled the winter season for all sports. This means no sports for the entire 2020-2021 academic year.

I suspect CIS will follow suit soo but I am still holding out hope.

https://www.acac.ab.ca/general/2020-...20201104nc8bcq

Canada West (and I believe the other conferences) have cancelled all official team stort competitions, while holding out the possibility of exhibition play in some sports.
https://canada-west.prezly.com/canad...ers-on-others#
Old 05-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #179
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canada West announced their return to play outline today. Regionalized play for a lot of sports, and a shorter (6 game) season for football.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post: