Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #81
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overrated player gets paid. That’s sports for ya.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #82
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
That is interesting, because the Flames as a whole seemed to really struggle generating anything on the rush.

...almost as if hiring bad coaches is bad for the team, and the players...

Hopefully this coming season (...with Eichel) will really show us just how much a real coach can get out of the players that are still here.
We don’t have the personnel to generate anything off the Rush, Johnny can but was anchored a little by Monahan since that isn’t his strength. Outside of that we don’t have the speed to play that game. Clearly that type of game suits Bennett better. Sometimes performance is about the fit and scheme and not individual skills.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #83
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's an overpay if he ends up as a 30-40 pt. guy. While that seems unlikely, there is no guarantee he sticks with Huberdeau, or produces at the same pace as last year. Panthers are taking a calculated risk.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #84
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

They're also paying for truculence... Brian Burke is smiling somewhere.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:02 PM   #85
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My only concern is whether he'll actually still get second line minutes now that they've brought in Reinhart, who is clearly a better offensive player than Bennett.

If he ends up centering their third line, I'm not sure he'll be able to produce the numbers to justify this contract.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:03 PM   #86
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
My only concern is whether he'll actually still get second line minutes now that they've brought in Reinhart, who is clearly a better offensive player than Bennett.

If he ends up centering their third line, I'm not sure he'll be able to produce the numbers to justify this contract.
Reinhart has been a RW for 90% of his career. He only played centre for a portion of this past season due to injuries and trades.

? - Barkov - Reinhart
Hubderdeau - Bennett - ?

With the success Bennett had in that role, I don't see them disrupting that - especially with Reinhart having a long history of being a productive/strong RW'er.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #87
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two different points:

1) Big Discussion here at CP before the 2013 on whether the Flames wanted Lindholm or Monahan... and eventually the Flames got both. I argued in favour of Monahan #6 pick because Lindholm #5 pick extremely low penalty minutes likely made him a softer player than a big Canadian OHL Centre. Turns out Nurse was best available at the #5 slot

A year latter there was the argument between the 2 Sam's and it was pretty solid that the Flames were lucky Bennet slipped through to #4. Now they are both Panthers. Turns out Drasiatl was the guy to pick a #2 instead of Sam R.

Point #2 Who will have a better 2021-22 Backlund @ 5.35 or Bennett @ 4.425?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #88
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Two different points:

1) Big Discussion here at CP before the 2013 on whether the Flames wanted Lindholm or Monahan... and eventually the Flames got both. I argued in favour of Monahan #6 pick because Lindholm #5 pick extremely low penalty minutes likely made him a softer player than a big Canadian OHL Centre. Turns out Nurse was best available at the #5 slot

A year latter there was the argument between the 2 Sam's and it was pretty solid that the Flames were lucky Bennet slipped through to #4. Now they are both Panthers. Turns out Drasiatl was the guy to pick a #2 instead of Sam R.

Nurse is not better than Lindholm….. he looks shiny cause of points off of Mavi and Raisatl. Nurse was not the best available….yikes.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #89
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a good contract for him I would say. Florida are overpaying based on his overall stats, with the gamble that it will be an underpay. I would take that gamble myself. Bennett gets some relative security finally, and is able to focus on the ice and nowhere else for the next few years. Hope it works out for him there.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #90
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Two different points:

Instant Classic. Has all the hallmarks: random unrealted knee shot at Backlund, random tangential musings on loose ties, and vague notions of oilers fandom.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #91
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Worst case scenario isn't too bad, but could possibly be very good value. Good for both, and I'm glad it's Florida. I still like them in my growing hate for every other team, I was a big fan of the Beezer and Luongo(Van years excluded obviously).
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #92
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Instant Classic. Has all the hallmarks: random unrealted knee shot at Backlund, random tangential musings on loose ties, and vague notions of oilers fandom.
Don't forget a reminder about how wrong all of were about those decisions. That underpins the entire post.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #93
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Love the people that choose to use parting shots and choice words to pile on and just generally be dicks.

Sam played his ass off here and was a difference maker come playoffs . Sure....some discipline issues but when you play that style of game that no other player will play , will want to play etc .....this is what you get.

Sam just needs to schmooze better with the refs and linesman because he's no Tom Wilson ( thank Judas) and if he can just tone it down on the extra curricular he'll do fine and earn that hefty contact.

Panthers are gonna be a tough team again.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #94
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Think Bennett earns this contract. Happy for him.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #95
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will be the best value contract in the NHL in two years.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #96
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:56 PM   #97
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow big deal for Bennett. Good for him. Definitely seems a bit risky but hopefully works out.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #98
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolute worst case is two million overpay for Florida. I like the contract for them.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:19 PM   #99
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Im shocked they would offer him that much. Huge over payment that I believe will be regretted as soon as this year. We shall see, just glad it wasnt the Flames signing him.

Good for Sam though, he really got paid.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #100
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rare win-win....we get 2 x 2nd rounders for a player that shouldn't have received even half of that salary...player gets more than double for 10 games worth of action.

Sam is probably worth $1m for every 10 games that Florida Sam shows up. To bad in Calgary that was only 10 or so games per regular season...