Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #41
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
3-5 years from now will be the appropriate time to grade the Flames current draft.

Journalists certainly shouldn’t sway anyone with their opinions and/or draft grades.

It may generate clicks....however,....

NONE of them are qualified to evaluate and project 18 year old amateurs.
Yeah for sure a team could literally look at a consensus board and take the highest consensus player and "kill it!" for the morning after grading exercise.

So instead you get two outcomes.

Teams that had different lists that are astute and teams that have different lists that are a mess.

And time has to sort that out.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:00 AM   #42
aiy_yah
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
How does 4 x $5M for Keith Yandle grab you?
No thank you. Haven't watched him play but analysis I have read had him as a sheltered 3rd pair on the Panthers last season. He's replacement level at this point. If they had no other choice, I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years and its have to be in the $1.5 mil range

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
aiy_yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #43
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He probably didn't get picked because his name is so dull.
Should legally change his name to Peter Whatnow
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #44
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Not going to pretend to know if picks are good or bad.

I liked the Coronato pick for sure, and I certainly have read favourable things pre draft on Stromgren and Whynot.

I like that one of the guys I like came in the Lucic trade, and I like that they got him and moved down and added another name to the Lucic trade!

Like what I'm reading yesterday and today on Cole Jordan.

I think Jack Beck is super interesting.

I like that they drafted 8 and not say 6.

I'm not going to assume the off season is over and the Flames are a failure because Treliving didn't make any moves at the draft.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #45
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It grabs me as a very bad idea. Very bad idea. Dennis Wideman level bad.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #46
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Not going to pretend to know if picks are good or bad.

I liked the Coronato pick for sure, and I certainly have read favourable things pre draft on Stromgren and Whynot.

I like that one of the guys I like came in the Lucic trade, and I like that they got him and moved down and added another name to the Lucic trade!

Like what I'm reading yesterday and today on Cole Jordan.

I think Jack Beck is super interesting.

I like that they drafted 8 and not say 6.

I'm not going to assume the off season is over and the Flames are a failure because Treliving didn't make any moves at the draft.
I'm with you Bingo. I liked the mix of picks they made. We knew this was going to be a wacky draft and it turned out to be just that. What I liked was the scouts went in and picked guys off the radar, but who show really good foundational skills and the propensity to improve. With all but one pick I was convinced they made a good pick after doing as much of a deep dive as you can with the limited resources we have access to. All of these guys (exception of one) are good skaters, have good hands, and think the game well. Every single comment and article about these guys points to that. Most importantly, they have these skills AND NHL size. This was a good draft for the Flames, even if the Pronmans of the world want to discount it. The Flames are a much better organization this morning after the draft they just had.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #47
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
3-5 years from now will be the appropriate time to grade the Flames current draft.

Journalists certainly shouldn’t sway anyone with their opinions and/or draft grades.

It may generate clicks....however,....

NONE of them are qualified to evaluate and project 18 year old amateurs.
Yup, was more trying to say I hope there's a lot more to come this offseason. The comment had little to do with the draft .
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #48
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
It grabs me as a very bad idea. Very bad idea. Dennis Wideman level bad.
I also don't like it, but a $4m cap hit today is more like a $2.5-3.0m cap hit a decade ago when Wideman signed that deal. Mind you, I also think Wideman was a better player in 2012 than Yandle is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I give the draft itself a C, but F for not grabbing buch, reinhart, or bean while available for evidently fairly cheap.
the only good, and reasonably priced, trade possibility that we missed out on was Buch and i suspect that Treliving and company probably felt that he would be a one-year rental and difficult/unlikely to re-sign
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
the only good, and reasonably priced, trade possibility that we missed out on was Buch and i suspect that Treliving and company probably felt that he would be a one-year rental and difficult/unlikely to re-sign
Yeah, for Bean, Calgary’s second was one later than what was paid, plus he’s a young LHD (and Calgary already has three young LHD counting Kylington).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #51
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, evaluating a draft has to be done after 5 years when you see how the players developed. The only thing you can assume for now is that development works out as expected, overall, with a reasonable and average distribution among teams (Oilers excluded obviously).

But there are other aspects of a draft that can be evaluated, IMO.

1) quantity - Flames took more than their standard allotment, so: good
2) quality - drafting 12th, 45th, etc puts them slightly better than average, so: good
3) upside (expected) - mixed bag here, probably average overall, though a couple, like Beck and Jordan are very intriguing so: average to good
4) need - they got a RW sniper, and they focused on what the teams needs most: size, speed and tough-to-play-against-ness, so: very good
5) distribution - they drafted an entire lineup basically, so: good

So ignoring what we can't know, and basing it on what we do know, I think you have to consider the Flames' draft to be good at a minimum. Certainly above average, and probably fairly well above average.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 10:25 AM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
$5M for Yandle? Are you fricking serious?

How about $1M for Yandle?
Old 07-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #53
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
If they Flames truly are pushing to sign Coleman, then I suspect this was a big part of the decision to not get involved in tbe Buchnevich trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #54
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the picks, there's some skill, and size in there, what's not to love about that.
If they're not going to blow it up and rebuild, then don't trade away your picks and just start amassing them and keep your cap deals low, sign free agents and pepper in young players.

But you gotta stick to that, it'll be more of a failure if they then trade their 1st next year for some non-elite player, for example.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:38 AM   #55
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good draft. Some long shots, addressed a dire need in a RhS scoring fw. I like the Coronoto pick.

I'm a little surprised they went with Stormgren over Raty in round 2 but he looks like he can develop into a mule type player.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #56
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
$5M for Yandle? Are you fricking serious?

How about $1M for Yandle?
Just spitballing looking at vet D available. I’d prefer Suter, but I don’t think he wants to play in Canada.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:54 AM   #57
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well once Sillinger was gone, you pretty much knew it was going to be between Coronato and Lucius... If Chicago still owned the Columbus pick, there's a chance they would have pick Coronato, as he is a Chicago kid and these three players were all similarly ranked.

Hard to parse between Lucius and Coronato...the former did have some injuries which maybe prevented him for going a little higher. Coronato has a ton of upside and I like how his motor is often cited - never hurts to be beloved by team mates either.

Stromgren was a bit more of a surprise...obviously the kid seems to have a lot of tools and wasn't a reach...there were other guys that I had heard more about like Stankoven and Chibrikov that were available at that spot...Hoping that Hakan Loob pushed for this pick, but as with anything, we'll see.

outside of that, hard to know...I didn't look too deep into this year's draft prospects
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just spitballing looking at vet D available. I’d prefer Suter, but I don’t think he wants to play in Canada.
I don't think there is any chance that Suter comes here unfortunately, as he would perfectly replace Gio.

But Yandle is definitely not the answer. Would much rather have Barrie. And I do NOT like Barrie
Old 07-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing the Gio replacement comes via trade. Unless they're committed to Kylington and Mackie platooning the 3rd LD slot.

Maybe a sneaky signing would be Vatanen. Or Edler.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Well once Sillinger was gone, you pretty much knew it was going to be between Coronato and Lucius... If Chicago still owned the Columbus pick, there's a chance they would have pick Coronato, as he is a Chicago kid and these three players were all similarly ranked.

Hard to parse between Lucius and Coronato...the former did have some injuries which maybe prevented him for going a little higher. Coronato has a ton of upside and I like how his motor is often cited - never hurts to be beloved by team mates either.

Stromgren was a bit more of a surprise...obviously the kid seems to have a lot of tools and wasn't a reach...there were other guys that I had heard more about like Stankoven and Chibrikov that were available at that spot...Hoping that Hakan Loob pushed for this pick, but as with anything, we'll see.

outside of that, hard to know...I didn't look too deep into this year's draft prospects
The Flames liked him so much they tried to move up to get him but couldnt make the deal. He fell to them anyway.