Old 07-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #301
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Shame about their goal tending and D which is worse
not disputing that at all

just saying, adding Hyman makes them better - I just hope that the contract is as awful as possible
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #302
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
A 6th round pick is way more in line with value for UFA rights than a second.

Goodrow just went for a 7th to the Rangers. I believe the highest pick ever given was a 3rd in a few cases. For instance Bouwmeester to the Flames.

Seems like the highest prices were paid when this first became a thing ten years ago. I don't recall anyone trading a third for UFA rights lately but don't know for sure.
Negotiating rights are one thing, and yeah the price is pretty low.
The difference here is that since they are looking at 8 vs 7 years and a lower cap hit, the benefit isn't just more time to chat, there is a tangible benefit by way of being able to offer more term and a lower cap hit. That isn't something that has come up much in these trades, so the value isn't the value isn't exactly comparable to other trades we've seen just for negotiation rights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:48 AM   #303
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
there is no question that Hyman makes the Oilers better. The only solace is that there will be a big price to pay down the road.

But I think the Oilers know that Rebuild 5.0 starts in 5 years anyway.
Unless Hyman lets them play 2 lines and split up McDrai, I don’t think he makes them better.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #304
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

just saying, adding Hyman makes them better - I just hope that the contract is as awful as possible
Does it though? This is a "play with McDavid" signing, which is great for Hyman, but will it make the Oilers any better. McDavid is going to score, and so is anyone playing with him. We know that. But does it improve the rest of the team? Isn't the rest of the team the same black hole it's always been? The Oilers need depth up front, defense in spades, and a real goaltender. I don't see Hyman addressing any of those needs. The Oilers are still a one line team with the signing, and with the losses and other moves so far, weaker everywhere else.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #305
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Does it though? This is a "play with McDavid" signing, which is great for Hyman, but will it make the Oilers any better. McDavid is going to score, and so is anyone playing with him. We know that. But does it improve the rest of the team? Isn't the rest of the team the same black hole it's always been? The Oilers need depth up front, defense in spades, and a real goaltender. I don't see Hyman addressing any of those needs. The Oilers are still a one line team with the signing, and with the losses and other moves so far, weaker everywhere else.
It makes them a two-line team.

But I agree, defence and (especially) goaltending are still glaring issues.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #306
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It makes them a two-line team.

But I agree, defence and (especially) goaltending are still glaring issues.
I bet they are back with McDrai at the first slow start to a period. Then Hyman is either with them (and not adding any additional goals) or with RNH, which is a bad fit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #307
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A third line play driver was way more important than another McComplimentary winger.

It's like they watched that sweep and learned nothing
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #308
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with GioforPM. The only time the Oilers are dangerous are when McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice together. Hyman is not a replacement for Daraisaitl, he's an upgrade on the other player that would normally play with those two. The Oilers are, and will remain, a one line team. It's now just a $26M line.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #309
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Better than last week? Sure
Better than last year?

Mike Smith's career season was a huge factor. Seems they will be in the same boat not being able to play their bottom six players or bottom D pairings. And capped out for years.

I think there is a major Leafs hype factor with Hyman too. If you grew up in Canada in the 90s you would think Tie Domi was a star when he was actually a goon that sucked at fighting.

Last edited by dino7c; 07-26-2021 at 11:07 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #310
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I meant better than without him - as in, he makes a difference

Obviously they have other, bigger issues like defense and bottom 6. One player can't solve multiple problems (god, some of you can be insufferably literal sometimes), but they are better with him than without him

I still don't think they are any better than last year though (probably worse), because the defense is worse and I doubt Smith is as good as he was last year
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:41 AM   #311
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I’m happier with the 7 year deal anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yikes.

Enjoy that kool-aid while it still tastes good.
Hell, I would be too. I think this is a terrible signing. Cut the term as much as you can because Holland is going to make this deal come Hell or High Water.

A reasonable human would want this contract to be as short as possible.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #312
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hell, I would be too. I think this is a terrible signing. Cut the term as much as you can because Holland is going to make this deal come Hell or High Water.

A reasonable human would want this contract to be as short as possible.
Shorten the deal the AAV goes up. Oilers want an 8 year to keep the cap hit as low as possible. 7 or 8 is irrelevant, Raisatl and Mavi will be gone by then.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #313
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
Shorten the deal the AAV goes up. Oilers want an 8 year to keep the cap hit as low as possible. 7 or 8 is irrelevant, Raisatl and Mavi will be gone by then.
Oh absolutely.

This deal is like a man who knows he is about to die taking a dump on the deck of the Titanic.

At this point it just doesnt matter.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 02:25 PM   #314
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wouldn't it be something if the League told the Oilers if you can't come to a deal with the leafs by the opening of Free agency.then they can not sign him at all .because they had an unfair advantage from the rest of the league.
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #315
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
Wouldn't it be something if the League told the Oilers if you can't come to a deal with the leafs by the opening of Free agency.then they can not sign him at all .because they had an unfair advantage from the rest of the league.
?

What unfair advantage?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-26-2021, 07:05 PM   #316
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

If anything the league should void it due to Hyman and his agent taking unfair advantage of a senior citizen.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #317
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
?

What unfair advantage?
agreeing to a deal before any other team could even make him an offer. So the Oilers where given permission to talk to him and they agree to do a sign and trade with the leafs. Now they can't agree on the trade deal.so what can stop other teams from doing the same thing.then just wait until thst player hits FA the sign the contract.
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #318
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
agreeing to a deal before any other team could even make him an offer. So the Oilers where given permission to talk to him and they agree to do a sign and trade with the leafs. Now they can't agree on the trade deal.so what can stop other teams from doing the same thing.then just wait until thst player hits FA the sign the contract.
There were multiple teams talking to him prior to. No team other than the Oilers are willing to go to that 40M. If any other team came in and said they would give 40M than I am sure Hymen would consider it. The reason no one has is because it is a bad contract.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #319
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

IMO the Oilers should build the best top line possible that doesn't involve McD and see what happens. If they can score without him then / great. He can pull 2nd line and dominate. Right?

Hymen/Pulyu/RNH/Yama should all be Dr.Drei's choice.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #320
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
He was allowed to talk to all teams, not just the Oilers.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote