Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #21
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
$600 million which is for track only.

Is there a spot in downtown that could be used for a station?
I thought the city or province perhaps had some land set aside downtown for a high speed rail terminal. It's possible that could work if it is indeed true.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 PM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Banff is also nice enough by itself that I don’t see it being overly necessary to have to access x number of places. A train would certainly be popular in tourist seasons as well. More tourists off the roads? Ok!
Do people really visit Banff without leaving Banff?

I suspect the money would be better spent adding a third lane to Canmore if your goal is reduced congestion.

Why is a train better than a bus?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #23
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I suspect the money would be better spent adding a third lane to Canmore if your goal is reduced congestion.

Rail preference is probably part of it.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/618...a4567cae3a.pdf
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I feel like your goal posts are caught in a tornado.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #25
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Rail preference is probably part of it.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/618...a4567cae3a.pdf
I'm replying to my own post here, but that would be part of it for me. I can totally see taking my kids on the train to Banff and going on a walk/hike. That feels like an adventure. It would be more expensive and less convenient than driving using the park pass I already have, but I'd still do it once in awhile.

Taking the bus not so much, and I would never do so.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I feel like your goal posts are caught in a tornado.
My goalposts are firmly set as there is no case for rail to make sense as a public investment from Calgary to Banff.

There is no case for spending public money on rail becuase of transportation requirements that exist when you get to the destination so the last mile becomes a significant hurdle. (The last mile in this case being more like 100 miles given the tourist sites that people want to see)

If you do solve the last mile problem a perfectly suitable alternative of busing exists and is more flexible once at the spread out destination.

So given the above when allocating 300 million of public capital plus xx million for trains and stations you need to show that you are better than the alternative technology. If we want to be green just spend some of that capital on battery powered buses.

Further to this at a $30 round trip this only makes sense for people who don't have vehicles or are going alone. As soon as you add in a second person it's cheaper to drive. So this is for airport visitors and those without cars. So how many airport visitors who aren't renting cars and aren't on a Brewster bus tour are there out of the 4 million visitors to Banff each year?

There is no goalpost moving here. It's a bad idea

Last edited by GGG; 07-21-2018 at 09:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #27
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waste of money. It will lose money guaranteed.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #28
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also a problem of dealing with 200 or whatever number of passengers getting off the train at once in Banff. How do u move them efficiently? Some will want to go to tunnel mtn, others may want to hike around sunshine.

Romantic idea to take the train to cam ore, Banff and lake Louise - not overly practical
Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My goalposts are firmly set as there is no case for rail to make sense as a public investment from Calgary to Banff.

There is no case for spending public money on rail becuase of transportation requirements that exist when you get to the destination so the last mile becomes a significant hurdle. (The last mile in this case being more like 100 miles given the tourist sites that people want to see)

If you do solve the last mile problem a perfectly suitable alternative of busing exists and is more flexible once at the spread out destination.

So given the above when allocating 300 million of public capital plus xx million for trains and stations you need to show that you are better than the alternative technology. If we want to be green just spend some of that capital on battery powered buses.

Further to this at a $30 round trip this only makes sense for people who don't have vehicles or are going alone. As soon as you add in a second person it's cheaper to drive. So this is for airport visitors and those without cars. So how many airport visitors who aren't renting cars and aren't on a Brewster bus tour are there out of the 4 million visitors to Banff each year?

There is no goalpost moving here. It's a bad idea
The last mile problem last already been solved, and will be bolstered if there is rail, as I already pointed out. Where do you imagine a tourist wants to go that they can't get to once they hit Banff?

It feels like you are imagining this for day trips from Calgary. That's not where many of the trips will come from though. You get people to Banff, they get to their hotel and spend a week in the town. Busing form the airport to Lake Louise, or Johnson Canyon, or wherever else doesn't mean anything for a tourist from Europe. They want to get to Banff first, and do day trips from there.

Have you traveled much? I've been all over the world, and the key is getting from the airport to where you want to be as comfortable and conveniently as possible. Knowing there is a train over a bus inspires more confidence the connection, it is more comfortable and more predictable. This stuff means things to tourists. Sure, Calgarians will use it too, but I'd argue that's less of the primary target market here, since most Calgarians have cars. $30 CAD round trip is a bargain, BTW, as far as international comparisons go. Even for locals, gas alone is $20 for that trip.

I'm not saying financially this makes sense, as I know little about that part of the equation. But arguing that it's a bad idea because you can't get to where you want to go just means you haven't looked at the reality of the situation.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also a problem of dealing with 200 or whatever number of passengers getting off the train at once in Banff. How do u move them efficiently? Some will want to go to tunnel mtn, others may want to hike around sunshine.

Romantic idea to take the train to cam ore, Banff and lake Louise - not overly practical
Most will probably want to go to their hotel, and I'm sure they will hop on a complimentary shuttle to get there. Anyone visiting for the day will walk or hop on local transit. Anyone wanting to go to Lake Louise or Sunshine or wherever will hop on the Brewster bus to get them there. This isn't complicated. It's entirely practical.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #31
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought part of the train idea was specifically to reduce the number of vehicles in Banff too. The traffic and parking during the high season is nuts. More tourists and locals (by which I mean Albertans/Calgarians) taking mass transit to visit the beautiful park would be better for the town overall.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #32
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Waste of money. It will lose money guaranteed.
Most mass transit is government-run for a reason.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The last mile problem last already been solved, and will be bolstered if there is rail, as I already pointed out. Where do you imagine a tourist wants to go that they can't get to once they hit Banff?

It feels like you are imagining this for day trips from Calgary. That's not where many of the trips will come from though. You get people to Banff, they get to their hotel and spend a week in the town. Busing form the airport to Lake Louise, or Johnson Canyon, or wherever else doesn't mean anything for a tourist from Europe. They want to get to Banff first, and do day trips from there.

Have you traveled much? I've been all over the world, and the key is getting from the airport to where you want to be as comfortable and conveniently as possible. Knowing there is a train over a bus inspires more confidence the connection, it is more comfortable and more predictable. This stuff means things to tourists. Sure, Calgarians will use it too, but I'd argue that's less of the primary target market here, since most Calgarians have cars. $30 CAD round trip is a bargain, BTW, as far as international comparisons go. Even for locals, gas alone is $20 for that trip.

I'm not saying financially this makes sense, as I know little about that part of the equation. But arguing that it's a bad idea because you can't get to where you want to go just means you haven't looked at the reality of the situation.

No one decides where they travel based on the reliability of an airport connection in a first world country. Adding a train will not increase visitation by inspiring more confidence.

I also disagree with you that a significant portion of foreign visitors come to Banff via Bus then take day trips from there. I would argue you have car renters and brewsters bus tours that package the hotels and stops. The market of self put together excursions from Banff without personal transportation is quite limited.

For 600 million when can purchase about 1200 busses to ferry tourists

Last edited by GGG; 07-21-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM   #34
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

ehh ... I'm not sold on this mass transit experiment.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #35
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is legit mass transit in Banff now, including ROAM to Canmore. They could make the trainstation a hub; it's kind of perfect in that it's a bit out of town and they've been trying to push people more to the perifery as they enter town ie park outside town and take a bus in.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 05:46 AM   #36
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Re-building the Frank Lloyd Wright pavilion should be part of this project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banf..._Park_Pavilion
Huh, had no idea about this. Shame that it's no longer around.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Huh, had no idea about this. Shame that it's no longer around.
I think in the news last year they were making plans to rebuild it. I don’t know where it is in the process, but it wasn’t connected to this rail idea.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #38
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think if we're spending money on rail for visitors, the airport is a better choice than Banff. I suspect business travellers are way more likely to take a train downtown than tourists to Banff, because the last mile doesn't matter as much.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #39
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Because taking highway 1 on a weekend in the summer is like playing the lottery. One accident or some construction and you are in for a very long trip.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what we need ideally.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: