Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #2621
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you do local multi-player, Towerfall. Like League on the PC? Awesomenauts.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #2622
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Infamous Second Son. Great game!
It's a good game, but it's one of those games when looking back at the PS4 that won't be remembered by most.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #2623
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post Titanfall and Second Son numbers are in.

Week of Titanfall release

Week of Second Son release + $50 Xbox one price cut

First week sales of Titanfall trounced Second Son as expected

Surprised console sales are so high given the lack of games though with some of the multiplats like MGSV prologue out that's probably boosting numbers.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #2624
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Microsoft's super hyped up system seller to only sell 200,000 more than Sony's latest from one of their smaller series isn't really trouncing. Looks like Titanfall failed to move as many consoles as expected too.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #2625
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Infamous Second Son. Great game!
Figure there are any issues getting into this if you didn't play the first two on PS3?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #2626
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Figure there are any issues getting into this if you didn't play the first two on PS3?
I didn't play either and I enjoyed it, this character is split from those games.

I think all the backstory you need is the people with powers have been round up and put into a jail/camp, they have been labled 'bio-terrorists'.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #2627
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not really.

But if you don't plan on playing the first two games there is a good 5 minute video on ign that summarizes the events of the first two games.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/03/17/...s-in-5-minutes
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #2628
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. New characters so the only thing you will be missing is a little backstory on the premises of the story. Game play is easy to pick up. It's a good not great game and not worth a system purchase but if you have a PS4 collecting dust like me it's well worth the purchase.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #2629
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For Microsoft's super hyped up system seller to only sell 200,000 more than Sony's latest from one of their smaller series isn't really trouncing. Looks like Titanfall failed to move as many consoles as expected too.
Considering how many more PS4 consoles are in the wild due to their stronger hardware sales, I'd say that's not a very astute analysis. 200,000 more copies sold and 108% increase in weekly hardware sales from one title is pretty impressive.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #2630
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Considering how many more PS4 consoles are in the wild due to their stronger hardware sales, I'd say that's not a very astute analysis. 200,000 more copies sold and 108% increase in weekly hardware sales from one title is pretty impressive.
It's not bad but it's not the great mammoth title they were hoping for.

And a 108% increase isn't that awesome when it was selling poorly the week before anyways. Infamous' 67% increase is better because it was building off a number that was twice as high.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #2631
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not bad but it's not the great mammoth title they were hoping for.
Oh? Maybe you could enlighten us with what they were hoping for, then.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #2632
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh? Maybe you could enlighten us with what they were hoping for, then.
Maybe more than just barely out-selling PS4 in it's launch week and then having sales drop the week after? Word of mouth spreading and the game holding it's level of sales instead of a drastic drop off? The next CoD instead of the next flash in the pan FPS? Not being outsold by a single player only PS4 exclusive adventure game from a relatively niche series the week after?

Microsoft can't be overly upset but come on, they aren't exactly doing backflips either. Their lack of PR about it is indication enough.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #2633
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way you read into things is uncanny. You're like a one-man sports analyst panel over here.

Read as: Your incessant speculation borders on living in a fantasy realm. It's already been well established that you've got an Xbox hate-on in this thread, I get it, but this is getting tiresome.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #2634
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's always a lot of Xbox doom and gloom in the thread. How about the good stuff?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/0...ng-to-xbox-one

Quote:
During its Build 2014 conference, Microsoft announced an update to the Windows Phone OS and an upcoming Windows 8.1 update. But later in the afternoon's talk, the company also discussed what appears to be an expanding ecosystem for Windows apps. Most interestingly, developers will eventually be able to bring those cross-platform applications to Xbox One.
This could have a lot of potential for the selection of apps available on the console.

Also, new updates coming:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/0...unch-this-week

Quote:
TV listings added to OneGuide for users in Europe and Canada who have their TV connected to Xbox One via HDMI.
More control over your TV, Xbox One, and set-top box, including the ability to watch recorded content on their DVR from a tablet or smartphone.
New Kinect voice commands in Europe and Canada that allow you to control your set-top box and other AV equipment.

One guide for Canada is welcome news. Personally I'm pretty happy with the efforts MS seems to be putting into updating the system, they seem to be directing a lot of energy into making it a good experience for the customers as well as offering hope for some awesome features in the years to come.

Gives me a lot of confidence that it was a good purchase that will be well supported over the years.

I actually think MS is really looking at the forest through the trees with where they want to take this thing.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #2635
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe more than just barely out-selling PS4 in it's launch week and then having sales drop the week after? Word of mouth spreading and the game holding it's level of sales instead of a drastic drop off? The next CoD instead of the next flash in the pan FPS? Not being outsold by a single player only PS4 exclusive adventure game from a relatively niche series the week after?

Microsoft can't be overly upset but come on, they aren't exactly doing backflips either. Their lack of PR about it is indication enough.
its obvious titanfall isn't doing what they hoped...there is a reason they keep pushing back the 360 release. They were pushing it as/expecting it to be the next big shooter but its going to be more of a "crysis" ect. and when the new COD comes out it will be all but forgotten in that niche

not saying its a bad game I actually own it...its just not the second coming and much of the hype was paid for
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #2636
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The way you read into things is uncanny. You're like a one-man sports analyst panel over here.

Read as: Your incessant speculation borders on living in a fantasy realm. It's already been well established that you've got an Xbox hate-on in this thread, I get it, but this is getting tiresome.
I'm presenting a well thought out point. The game did well but not well enough - it isn't pushing systems. It didn't even provide as good a boost as Infamous did for the PS4.

Yeah I'm a PS4 guy but this isn't some fantasy speculation. Meanwhile your posts just reek of arrogance and contribute nothing towards any kind of reasonable debate.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #2637
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ @Igottago: I've been using the OneGuide on the beta for a while now, and it's pretty awesome. I have Shaw Digital HD at home for my provider, works great, the guide is very nice.

Quote:
I'm presenting a well thought out point. The game did well but not well enough - it isn't pushing systems. It didn't even provide as good a boost as Infamous did for the PS4.

Yeah I'm a PS4 guy but this isn't some fantasy speculation. Meanwhile your posts just reek of arrogance and contribute nothing towards any kind of reasonable debate.
Your 'contribution' was "[that] isn't really trouncing", "that's not the mammoth title they were hoping for". Yeah, well thought-out indeed. You're talking about a title on a console with a smaller install base (Xbox One) selling over 200,000 more copies than a pretty hyped game in Infamous:SS on a console with a much larger install base (PS4).

The comment you responded to said "First week sales of Titanfall trounced Second Son as expected". It was specifically a statement of software sales - Titanfall trounced Infamous. Nothing else matters in the context of his statement, no matter how badly you'd like otherwise. If I have a lesser install base, yet I sell 200,000 copies more than my competitor with a much larger install base, guess what, that fits what the reasonable person would consider a trouncing in first week sales.

Ultimately, the head of the BU has gone on record stating it has been the most successful title launch in Xbox history - you're saying it's nothing special.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 04-02-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #2638
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like infamous is a flop to and it barely moved any consoles.

I'm guessing most of the consoles that were sold were people waiting for sony to release more consoles
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #2639
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second Son's first week sales were more than the first week of the previous two games in the series combined. It's not a huge mega hyped up game or super popular series. Sony wasn't banking the success of the console on it (and yet still got a boost from it). To even be comparable to Microsoft's crown jewel, the new exclusive multiplayer masterpiece from the makers of Call of Duty, is quite an accomplishment.

It's not as simple as just 'x game sold more copies than x game so it's a bigger success'.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #2640
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Titanfall is also $20 cheaper because its half a game, maybe only $10 cheaper on console...I paid $50 for PC
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote